Lt. Commander
# 1 I like the PVP in STO, but...
04-18-2010, 08:06 AM
...why is it set up so that a match can start with FIVE vs TWO?

If this is for some obscure and mystifying reason 'Working As Intended' - and I can't imagine why it would be - why not give the outnumbered folks some AI backup? Heck, let us use our BOs in PVP ground missions to fill out the team until actual players show up (which, in many cases, they do not). For space, toss in some AI ships to bolster the undermanned team. At least it would give the other team something else at which to shoot besides the same two guys over and over and over.

Along those lines, there's at least one other game I know of that let's players engage in PVP using their henchmen. Seems to me that might be a fun thing to do here as well.

Bridge Officer Battles. Maybe? Someday? If we're all really really good?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-18-2010, 08:07 AM
This is working as intended...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Your death is intended.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Its because people queue up, then go AFK or do a mission, and instead of dismissing the queue when it pops, they just let the timer die, and the match THINKS it has 5 people because two are still in the 'readied' position.

Usually it will fill up pretty pick after that as the timers on the lazy people counts down, and the queue grabs the next guy in line. Yell at your faction mates for that problem, they are the one causing it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoSD
Its because people queue up, then go AFK or do a mission, and instead of dismissing the queue when it pops, they just let the timer die, and the match THINKS it has 5 people because two are still in the 'readied' position.

Usually it will fill up pretty pick after that as the timers on the lazy people counts down, and the queue grabs the next guy in line. Yell at your faction mates for that problem, they are the one causing it.
This method of PvP is LAME anyway. Open it up to real space - with real people going about their mission, then BAM i uncloak - either i kill them ( as Klingons like to do ) or i get what i deserve.

Make a real star trek game. So if they blow me up - as i Klingon i win anywayz - i get HONOR ( too bad Klingons we don't 72 Kilngon Virgins )
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeharney View Post
This method of PvP is LAME anyway. Open it up to real space - with real people going about their mission, then BAM i uncloak - either i kill them ( as Klingons like to do ) or i get what i deserve.

Make a real star trek game. So if they blow me up - as i Klingon i win anywayz - i get HONOR ( too bad Klingons we don't 72 Kilngon Virgins )

we've discussed this before... open world pvp will insight gankers, like you i believe, go back to your undead rouge to pwn dwarf n00bs.

i do like the idea of specific zones thats open world pvp, along the neutral zone, perhaps
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoSD

There's the flip side of it: queue up, wait, wait, wait, get into a match (at last!) and the score is:

Klingon influence 1200
Starfleet influence 36

GAME OVER

There are games out there with PVP set up so that the matches start with even numbers. I've played them. Sure, people may quit or DC during the course of the match but the matches do not start with 5 vs 2. So it's not an impossible thing. It's clearly within the realm of possibility.

So... why don't we have that here?
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-19-2010, 06:12 AM
There are changes on Tribble related to this. Jump on and test them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
There are changes on Tribble related to this. Jump on and test them.
I did that in another game and was burned out on the new stuff before it went live, so... nah.

Care to offer any details on the changes?