Lt. Commander
# 11
04-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Cryptic have said on a number of occasions that accounts and characters will never be deleted ( unless of course in the event of a serious breach of terms involving a game ban. )

That being said one wonders if there will be much to play in a year. Cost me $30 just to come and take a look at all this 'new content' that was installed since I cancelled last and frankly the only thing that has changed in-game for me is that the fleet actions, the only part of the game I actually liked, now instead of taking 10 minutes as the first one used yo and being a great way to gear up, now takes over an hour because there are so few people there. Sure I can still top the list and grab the blue reward but an hour's spacebar spamming is hardly worth it.
Sure I understand that most players have levelled to RA5 and are whiling their time with the stop-gap measures thrown at them but it does not alter that fact that playing a new toon in Star Trek Online is now a lonely grind.
Can't see that getting any better in a year's time.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-18-2010, 08:35 PM
The big question is will there be a game here in one year to come back to?

Lt. Commander
# 13
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPig_EL View Post
If one were to cancel his or her account, and come back in say, 9 months to a year, in the hope that the game will be properly fleshed out by then, will your old character, ships, etc... still be there to be used again?

This has sort of become my plan, because the game currently has run out of things to hold my interest.
Its highly unlikely you'd be deleted. The only reason games ever do this is to free up names for newer players. Since names are not forced to be unique in this game (due to the @name thingie), its not a worry here.

If for whatever reason they did decide to delet unplayed characters, they'd likely send out a wanring email well in advance warning you to log them in for a few minutes if you want to keep them. Thats how its worked for me in nearly any game I played in that did that.

So in short, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything I'd expect them to offer free weekends to lure old players back to see what changed.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
Its highly unlikely you'd be deleted. The only reason games ever do this is to free up names for newer players. Since names are not forced to be unique in this game (due to the @name thingie), its not a worry here.
Even if that was a concern, Cryptic doesn't delete characters. In City of Heroes when freeing up names became an issue, they made a policy of freeing up a character's name if it was below a certain level, the account was inactive a certain length of time, and somebody requested the name, but they never deleted anybody, and those characters got a free name change token.

And as you said, it's not even possible for it to be a concern here.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPig_EL View Post
If one were to cancel his or her account, and come back in say, 9 months to a year, in the hope that the game will be properly fleshed out by then, will your old character, ships, etc... still be there to be used again?

This has sort of become my plan, because the game currently has run out of things to hold my interest.
The game will never reach the potential the IP affords it. Cryptic is behind the wheel, and they haven't the resources to overhaul the games weakest areas. They say the direction of the game "depends on us" but so far, they have been silent on fixing the most important things, but have happily implemented band-aids to the broken parts of the games or wasted time developing jokes

pakleds as a playable race
bridges with no meaning, purpose, or functionality
death penalty should have been thought out and fleshed before launch
difficulty slider is only a band aid fix.

You want to know how STO will be doing down the line? Go check the Champions ONline forums. That game has been out for 6 months and look at the state it is in.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
You want to know how STO will be doing down the line? Go check the Champions ONline forums. That game has been out for 6 months and look at the state it is in.
Checking the forums of any game is about the worst way to learn about it. Try it yourself and see what state its really in. Its improved quite a bit over the last 6 months.