Lt. Commander
# 1 Are we the only ones?
04-18-2010, 06:03 PM
I am writing this with my friend who used to be user "finkaruniski" on these forums. He has been silenced by Cryptic and can not contribute to the forums through his account. Which is odd because, although he was very vocal in his concerns about the game BEFORE it was released, he hasn't posted anything critical SINCE it's release. He felt it was only right to give the game a fair chance. It's possible that he was booted preemptively after being flagged in development, or maybe it's just a big cooincidence. Either way he's here, and he wanted me to say so.

Now to business.

This game sucks. It sucks in all the ways we said it would. We said so and we were right. Believe us, nobody is more disappointed about this than we are, truly, but there you have it.

Back when Perpetual was still handling the IP we saw a piece of teaser material on their website that showed Starfleet officers holding what appeared to be guns, pistols. They were futuristic and all but they LOOKED like guns. We were concerned. We were worried that in a translation to a video game format the important elements that made Star Trek so awesome might be lost. We were worried it would become another shooter dressed in Star Trek. Now, for most other video games, even a Star Trek video game, this wouldn't matter so much. But since this Star Trek game would be, and is, so widespread and massive, it does. More than just a video game, it is the next significant continuation of the Star Trek universe since the last movie.

So we were worried about the guns. So, we sent Perpetual a massive email about it. I'm sure we weren't the only ones. We explained how important this was to us. How Star Trek, whatever it would become, had to embody the concepts of tolerance and peaceful conflict resolution that had always been the cornerstones of the franchise. We felt it would be wrong to put guns into the hands of Starfleet members since, you know it is in DIRECT contradiction of Gene's vision and all that.

Fast forward to four years later when Cryptic has gotten it's hands on the IP and released the game. Now we have Starfleet officers running about maps with GIANT PHASER BAZOOKAS. What?!! Not just any GIANT PHASER BAZOOKAS, but really GIANT ones, the size of a small ensign. And, the way the game works out EVERYBODY has them. So in this game The Federation is this organization that rolls through with GIANT PHASER BAZOOKAS on the regular and just waporizes anybody that ****es them off.

You know we watched a lot of Star Trek and my friend and I don't seem to remember the GIANT PHASER BAZOOKAS. Anyone mind pointing out the episode where they got that from?

Don't get me wrong. This game doesn't suck JUST because it is nothing like Star Trek, it's also just boring.

Way back when on the forums we said that the Star Trek IP is weak as a shooter. It's bland, kind of boring. It has no chainsaws, very few zombies, and not much for explosives. Ship battle is generally slow and strategy based, And there is not a variety of weaponry. THIS WAS INTENTIONAL. Star Trek is not a shoot 'em up. So what happened, is that by attempting to appeal to BOTH the Star Trek audience AND the MMO customer, they have made a boring game. A boring game that is nothing like Star Trek.

I mean seriously, in this game we fly around endlessly destroying everything in our path. We make NO attempt to come to any kind of peaceful resolution, you just fly around and destroy. Once you have flown around for a while and killed a bunch of dudes, you beam down to the surface of a planet (if you're lucky) and kill a bunch of other dudes, then you return to space to kill some more dudes. This senseless violence will never hold the attention of a real Trekkie, and the Star Trek aspect will probably only make it less appealing to other gamers who have far better titles to chose from.

It is doomed and we are glad because it is the worst thing to ever happen to Star Trek. Worse than Star Trek V... that bad!

Futhermore, not only is the game bad but the marketing of the game makes use of every single rip-off scam in the MMORPG book. Cryptic NEVER passes up an opportunity to take your money and screw you. Pay for the game, pay for key, pay for game transfer, I only assume this is an attempt to leech as much money off the hype of release as possible because they know this game is gonna flop.

I will probably get booted for sharing this just like my friend did but I don't care. Here's two people who will never give Cryptic another red cent for anything ever again! Cryptic: thanks for striking a killing blow at an already delicate time for the Star Trek franchise. When it has become nothing more than G.I. Joe in space you can rest assured that you did more than anyone else to help it along.

You suck as badly as this game does. I dare you to leave this post up.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I searched your entire post only to try and find a misspelled word so I can say you misspelled <"word">

sadly I found nothing...

In before lock/ban!

Also ragequitting does not make you a martyr...it just makes you look stupid...I should know.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-18-2010, 06:15 PM
I dare you to make a post that isn't all wall of text. You could really knock it down to 2 short paragraphs which will help get your message across. When your post doesn't look like drunken rage, then i will comment on the actual content
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_K7
Much, much rantage, little substance
And your "friend" wonders why he ws "silenced" - I bet it was during that wave of negativity that the CMs had to resolve by giving forum vacations to all the persistent trolls.

If you and your "friend" truly believe what you just wrote, why are you still here? Instead of posting a rant like this (which, BTW, ranting is against the Forum Rules and can get you a ban as well..Coincidence? I think not...), then why haven't you fired off a critique to Cryotic and changed your billing plan? Doing so in a constructive manner to Cryptic may have actually been helpful... this rant, not so much.

It's kinda like those emotional children that can't handle chat rules - you know, the ones that say "no cursing in chat"? They elect to do so - then act suprised when the consequences come rolling down - as if it didn't take a deliberate act of will to TYPE OUT their vulgarity instead of just speaking it aloud in their room. In short, a CALL FOR ATTENTION - much like your very public rant.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be getting a vacation soon, just like your "friend" did. Odd how that works out, isn't it?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-18-2010, 06:17 PM
I disagree on the "space bazooka" part, there are no bazooka's at all :p and yes, there were many episodes when starfleet used weapons. hand phasers were standard issue on away missions, even when no protection was deemed necessary. but now we are at war, obviously you're going to need to be carrying weapons. the federation may be explorers at the core, but we're not pacifists, we will defend ourselves, and protect those in need.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-18-2010, 06:17 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~ Phoxe
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Are you the only ones Yes
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebort5050 View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~ Phoxe
OMG HAI TREBORT!!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebort5050 View Post
Hope you do so in a tactful way...there's a VERY fine line between a honest opinion and a libel suit, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Circumventing a forum ban is against ToS. In before lock/ban. Your post is useless and utterly a failed attempt to troll. I suggest you try harder next time.
Closed Thread