Lt. Commander
# 1 Getting up to date phasers
04-19-2010, 01:43 AM
I don't understand why getting max phasers for a tier is so involved. This isn't a whine or even a rant. Just one simple question...why?

For my tier 2 ship, to get 3 MK IV Phasers Banks, or any combination of 3 MK IV Phaser based weapons) requires running the H'romi Nebula mission 4 times. 12 missions isn't that big a deal. Patrolling a sector can be 4 or 6 missions. I just don't get it why it is set up this way. Klingons don't have to go through this for the MK IV white items.

It is what it is. I just don't get it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-19-2010, 06:05 AM
You could always just pick up something from the exchange for a few thousand credits.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymantium View Post
You could always just pick up something from the exchange for a few thousand credits.
Nothing there I can use. No matter at all. I can get the stuff. Just takes a bit of effort.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Except Tier5 you always find phasers in the exchange, because at every new tier everyone gets free weapons a tier too low, that they then put on the exchange so players a tier lower can buy them.

If you buy white ones you can sell them after you used them. Be sure to buy the cheapest ones and you normally only lose a few thousand bucks after you sold them again.

And a nice thing for the future: On tribble you can now buy purple Mk X phasers (and all other weapon types) from the daily badges and valor badgres (the infected and cure thing)

Klingongs get white ones because they had nothing at all to buy them in the beginning. And with nothing I mean they didn't even had an exchange! No exchange, no exploration missions. The only thing you could've done was PvP with weapons from a tier lower until you finally could afford all of them a few levels into the tier. So giving them the opportunity to buy white ones was great.
Lt. Commander
# 5 ???
04-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Just be glad what you use, is offered as either from cash/badge/mark/etc vendor. Some are drop/AH only.
If you were making this a canon question, I've asked this since day1, for both factions. (yes, even posted about it) Can see well that worked.

Then again, are you asking about this, " Why didn't my new shiney ship come w/ the best weapons available for my rank? " Cus if it did, why you bother w/ explores as Fed? Think of it as a time sink, and nothing more.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Why do Star Fleet and the KDF send out their ships with inferior weapons, engines, etc? Having ten levels of the same items is a game artifact. In reality every ship would have the best weapons, engines and other equipment available at time of manufacture and be upgraded as the years go by. Tier 1 players should have the same phasers/disruptors/torpedos/engines as Tier 5, just fewer of them on smaller ships.

Even more so for ground equipment. Why does the Captain of a tier 3 ship get lesser shileds, kits, armor and weapons than the BOs at tier 4?

As things go in STO the ship's Captain is spending his own energy credits and medals to equip his ship, himself and crew, or selfishly keeping valuable data gathered from missions and using it to upgrade this equipment (Fed only). If ship's Captains can accumulate enough energy credits to buy a new ship and equip it to the hilt those Captains are waaaaay overpaid. with the exception of pirates, that isn't how it works in real life, only in a game like STO.

STO has a lot of these unrealities, which add up to one big unreality.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2010, 07:23 PM
op two words, badge gear. do explores to get badges appropriate to your level sure they are boring but hey upgrade everything you have.

and finally when you reach max level there will soon be purple items in every weapon type in the game from doing a simple daily.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnobber
op two words, badge gear. do explores to get badges appropriate to your level sure they are boring but hey upgrade everything you have.

and finally when you reach max level there will soon be purple items in every weapon type in the game from doing a simple daily.
Yeah...I know about exploration. Been doing it across the board, Klingon and Fed. I get it that it's pretty much the only way to get the upgraded stuff...though not in all cases.

Good to know about the future. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpadgett371 View Post
I don't understand why getting max phasers for a tier is so involved. This isn't a whine or even a rant. Just one simple question...why?

For my tier 2 ship, to get 3 MK IV Phasers Banks, or any combination of 3 MK IV Phaser based weapons) requires running the H'romi Nebula mission 4 times. 12 missions isn't that big a deal. Patrolling a sector can be 4 or 6 missions. I just don't get it why it is set up this way. Klingons don't have to go through this for the MK IV white items.

It is what it is. I just don't get it.
on the test server you can buy white phasers of all levels.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
Why do Star Fleet and the KDF send out their ships with inferior weapons, engines, etc? Having ten levels of the same items is a game artifact. In reality every ship would have the best weapons, engines and other equipment available at time of manufacture and be upgraded as the years go by.
They are not available at the time of manufacture. Even in a (supposedly) post-money world of the Federation, there are still limited resources. Higher grade equipment costs resources. So they pick a selection of equipment that is affordable.

As you go up in ranks, you acquire additional resources, and thus can also acquire new and higher grade equipment. More over, the Merit and Badge system tells us that the avaialble resources - at least among Starfleet - are distributed based on your success. If you are a good Starfleet Captain that solves problems for the Federation and gain resources and allies for it, you gain a "bigger share" of the available resources, as you have proved yourself to be able to use them wisely and effectively.