Lt. Commander
This is not a "baaaaw ah hate j00 cryto" post, as I am actually very fond of Cryptic and STO. However, upon looking through the dev tracker and trying different things with my graphics settings, I've noticed that nobody at Cryptic seems to acknowledge on the forums that there is an issue with the graphics lag, especially during the initial Khitomer mission in the beginning of the game.

I've tried everything I can. All my drivers are up to date, I've even rolled back my drivers. Let me get into the official bug report:

Issue
During gameplay, there is severe graphics lag, bringing the game to it's knees at 1fps in many situations even with the lowest settings enabled and half-resolution turned on. No amount of tweaking in the game, drivers, etc, appear to alleviate the issue. Especially noticable during Khitomer in the beginning of the game.

System Specs
Intel Pentium 4 3.33GHz Single Core
3GB DDR2 800 RAM
SATA 3 80GB WD Raptor HDD
IDE 500GB Seagate Momentus HDD
nVidia GeForce 9600GT 1GB
Creative Audigy SE

Reproducible
Always

Steps to Reproduce
Create a new character and try to play through the tutorial. I've played after the tutorial, but not nearly as much as I'd have liked considering the SEVERE and mostly random graphics lag after that.

Note
EVE Online, Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, Counter Strike Source (and all other source games), etc, all play with a steady high framerate with all settings jacked up to maximum. I'm certain it's not my hardware or an OS issue.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
I think the real problem is that there are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many diffrent setups of hardware today.

It is rather hard to meet ALL the specs out there, as some self-made rigs just cant handle the stress (most commonly happens when people buy a high-end Graphics card, but don't invenst in proper motherboard).

I spend 3 weeks, matching the components for my pc so they we're all in perfect sync, and matched, but im geussing not all PC's out there are proper.

It is not that they don't listen. They just can't optimize for all.

What im trying to say: They probably never had this issue in thier internal test, or they would not have released it, but sometimes they just can't match all... There may be nothing wrong with your rig, but they just didn take you'r specific hardware setup into account.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I think the real problem is that there are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many diffrent setups of hardware today.

It is rather hard to meet ALL the specs out there, as some self-made rigs just cant handle the stress (most commonly happens when people buy a high-end Graphics card, but don't invenst in proper motherboard).

I spend 3 weeks, matching the components for my pc so they we're all in perfect sync, and matched, but im geussing not all PC's out there are proper.

It is not that they don't listen. They just can't optimize for all.

What im trying to say: They probably never had this issue in thier internal test, or they would not have released it, but sometimes they just can't match all... There may be nothing wrong with your rig, but they just didn take you'r specific hardware setup into account.
If it's any indication, I've been running my rig for a little while now with no issues whatsoever. When I build a rig, I spend approximately a week and a half tuning it in terms of cooling. I'm a cooling freak. Imagine someone with OCD. I'm OCD about my temps and cooling. I just want to make sure I'm clear on that part.

My processor popped last night at a last recorded temp of 96C.

Again, keep in mind that I'm a FREAK about cooling, so my processor formerly never went above 45'ish.

Is it the game's fault? I don't know. I never believed that could be caused by one game. However, what was I doing at the time? I was playing KA and trying to find a solution, unaware of the extremely rising CPU temp.

My new Core 2 Quad is coming in hopefully tomorrow. I'm hoping it won't happen again. I'll definitely be more "focused" on my CPU temp rather than playing at this point.

When I said, "Is Cryptic listening?", I mostly meant do they acknowledge that they're aware of the problem? I have seen NOTHING from Cryptic saying, "We're aware of the issue and are trying to reproduce it", or anything of the like. It's disconcerting and disappointing when I'm doing more bug testing with this issue than the developers. And I don't get paid for it, which I think is part of the reason why it makes it "okay" for Cryptic.

EDIT: Apparently they DID notice. This is the only thing I can find so far that says something in regard to the performance drop after Season 1.