1. The Collective/Queen/Hive Mind/Vinculum or whatever you wish to call it, describes everything they come across as a simple number designation, Terran Humans like us are like Species 849 or something, I'd have to re-watch Dark Frontier over again and I'm tired of running all my Trek DVD sets, I know I spent a good $1,500 for all the series and films on disc like that, but after the last two years of watching them according to chronological order and so on, it's worn me down, I know everything STO will do from now on, and yes, for once Phoxe, I won't give the litany of things to come, we both know I out-foxed two threads already guessing at what the future for STO holds, and the posts vanished, no warnings or reprimands, just gone...I don't like that type of antics, if you think I'm revealing more than you wish, just tell me so when you delete the post, don't just delete it without telling me I cut too close to the bone at least...Show some respect. I've been around Trek probably more than Craig ever has, if I were not co-owner of a very successful business at this time, I would happily join you guys, regardless of pay or whatever, just to help you guys make STO so much better, especially where scripting/coding/mission design and story writing are the prime factors as it seems to be right now...I know those elements of game design, heck, I have been making own total overhaul-replacement for X-Wing Alliance since X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter was first being hacked into so we could start making new graphical replacements that can actually push today's hardware pretty damn hard even if put screen-to-screen to a DX11 title like AVP-3 or full-load Crysis or something...I've had to learn a lot, on my own, to make things work so well as they have so far, but it's not released, and now that I'm really into STO, and getting ready for a new fleet startup next month with only 11 members but me, I'm not recruiting, I'm observing those with the potential, simple as that. I am the most loyal ally you could ask for, but try to stab me in the back, and you'll find out what exists or does not exist beyond our mortal plane, I've already crossed that barrier and survived it twice without losing memories or suffering brain damage from being dead by physical terms for about 1-1/2 minutes each time...If you work with me and not against me, you have nothing to fear and everything to gain from my experience...Just saying, I do own a business and I just don't have the chance to move to a tectonically unstable smog-ridden hole like Cali right now, even though it's just over the sierras for me, our business is very well-off despite the bad things going on with the world these days, so there is just no call for me join you, to make STO better, I don't even care if you don't pay me, I just want to make STO everything that I *KNOW* it can be, I can help fix problems that others seem unable or unwilling to fix but everyone knows about them, I can help you write up very deep storylines based upon anything put to a disc or a book on Trek, I have it all, and I'm a living memory core, I retain and recall nearly everything from age 5 to age 28 as it stands now...I was always thought to be the prodigy, but I rejected that because it was not my wish, not who I wanted to be. I have a strict moral code that is never broken no matter what happens, I've already survived death twice somehow, and if I have to do something extreme to maintain my morality and so on, I will have to die again, only to come back somehow...Of course, the weapons used were not explosives, so I guess that would do me in for once, but whatever...Way off-topic.
2. Due to the Collective numbering everything they contact with, even if they don't attack or assimilate, they assign it a designation. The Queen, at the time of Dark Frontier, claimed she was Species 324 or something like that...It makes perfect sense for the Klinks, in particular, to call them something other than a Borg number, they have a name for themselves, they don't need the Borg's help
So you see, it's not worth the debate over re-naming 8472, a lot of people still do the 8472 instead of undine during chats, especially with old-farts like me (I might be 28 physically, but due to my memory retention and recall, and the nasty experiences my life has put me through from time to time, I should be dead now, but I'm not and it doesn't bother me at all, and no, I shall not discuss the total peace I had finally found, there is no tunnel of light for me, nothing but true sleep, just pure peace, I hate it when people survive their encounter(s) with death, and market it on talk shows and smack, talking about an intangible tunnel of light or a complete utopia setting, on and on), but the re-name makes perfect sense.
Starfleet might be willing to keep on running 8472 just because of Janey's and Seven's influences on that matter, but not all of us want it, I agree with giving them their real name back, a species as powerful as theirs needs no numbers to hide behind
As far as the rest, I hope it pans out well, so far I've not really gotten into STF because I have more interest in trading the few pre-nerf science consoles out there with other veteran exchange operators like me right now, it helps to have the best gear when you are planning to make a 12-person elite squadron fleet, so they can be on the same level as you are and everyone can pull their own weight without having to rely on my heals so much, I hate random encounters where people run around getting their ship plastered for reasons unknown to me, and just because I hate to see them blow up even if they are that silly, I start beaming the science/eng teams over with hazard emitters 1 at full with a pre-nerf +25 halon console...Really works wonders, even if they don't know how to play, I still do my job as a Tactical Cruiser guy...I just hate getting invites from people who don't know how to play...Can we please get a GUI option to turn off fleet invites if we wish?
wow... i cant believe I read all that but that is the most bizarre post I have ever seen on the internet. Uh, kudos on the whole being alive...thing...
I just watched the video, and I say 'Kudos!' to the Cryptic team! Very nice video, IMO. Although, I'll probably never call Species 8472 the Undine (mainly because I'm a Voyager fanboi, and, no offense, but Undine just sounds... silly to me), I am really looking forward to the Terrordome STF.
I still need to do the other 3 STFs (waiting on a couple buddies to do their dailys for their gear, but should be ready to do them soon), but I'm glad the Terrordome will be independant of those three. Also, I was hoping that it would be taking place on a facility similar to the one in the Voyager episode "In the Flesh," and I'm so happy it is! Although, I was kind of hoping they'd have a recreation of Starfleet Academy/HQ like they did in that Voyager episode, but that's not a biggie for me.
Still, looks very fun and I'm looking forward to it (and the other STFs)!
I think this is the first video that I've spotted Dan in (I haven't seen them all) - nice to put a face to a name finally. I'm excited about the content but will probably never get to see it. I did want to say kudos on the production quality for these videos. You guys have a great art team... now if you could just do something about those crazy tall interior maps...
Something I have been wondering though has been the difference between the Recon and Deep Space Science... I mean as far as I can tell the only physical difference is the Recon turns slower, kinda makes you wonder why anyone would actually want to use a Recon Science. Especially as they're so dang ugly
Other than the extra console and bridge station type Engineering vs Tactical, the big difference is crew size (500 DSSV vs 250 RSV) and turn rates RSV turn substantially better then the DSSv. And I didn't like the looks of the DSSV in the begnning like you, but I the look eventually did grow on me. Now I'm currently turn between the customized DSSV I made and the Nimbus. I like both but can't have both.
Well, according to earth mythology (esp. European folklore) the Undine are water nymphs, fairy like creatures that live under water. Since 8472 originate from fluidic space it may be that Starfleet gave them this name as an easier/more descriptive way to label them then their borg designation.
Whatever the reason may be, the video looks great. I can't wait to get in there and try it out.
A bit of a spoiler from the STO Novel.
We find out that Undine is what they call themselves. It translates roughly as Groundkeepers. And something BIG from the missing Path to 2409 is that we have already had a cold and hot war with the Undine. The Federation did form the Undine back into Fluidic Space.
You asked us what we thought of the video, so I would state I was pretty impressed. That said, I have a few personal thoughts in what I would like to see, although I am sure some will disagree.
1) The First thought is actually a question, why can we only advance to RA5? Are we eventually going to be able to advance to Admiral 10?
2) Regarding the missions...they are enjoyable, however, I miss the old career path missions we stated with that you could actually complete without having to rely on your respawning (cheating death) to defeat what seems like an impossible foe.
I would like to see enemies that are still challenging to take out, however, reducing their fire power would make fighting them more enjoyable, giving me at least the feeling of some sort of accomplishment, rather then the respawn, cheat death scenario.
3) In ground missions, I really dislike the "rooted" function. I don't understand what causes it, and what per-say I can use to break it. However, I would be very content without this feature.
4) When playing in a team of 5 individuals, when people drop it would be good to be able to replace them in game with the leader's own crew. Currently, I have not been able to replace the team members that leave, which makes for a very difficult end of mission, if not down right impossible.
Cryptic your games are really well done, and I am glad to be a lifer. I look at where STO has come in the last 3 months and it is very impressive! I look forward to what STO will look like in a year from now!
One last thing: May I suggest releasing quarterly surveys for STO players? I think enough happens in 3 months that players could give good feedback on what they like and don't like. Also, it would make each player feel more connected with the development of the game. Anyways, just my two cents worth, and on that note, I vote Romulans as the next faction.