Lt. Commander
# 1 EPS/Weapons Power Consoles
04-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Which is better and/or what are the pros/cons?
My current setup: One EPS Console and One Weapons Power Console
or
Two EPS Consoles (sell my weapons console, buy another EPS)
(All consoles referred to above are Uncommon Mark X: the EPS are +1.3, the Weapons Power is +6)

Here are what I believe are my relevant stats (ask if you need more info):
I am an RA5 in an Assault Cruiser.
Fore Weapons: 2x dual beam banks, 1x beam array, 1x quantum torp
Aft Weapons: 3x beam arrays, 1x quantum torp)
Power Levels in Attack Mode:
Weapons - 109/100 (103/100 without the +6 Weapons Console)
Shields - 69/50
Engines - 36/25
Aux - 39/25

My basic understanding is that the EPS helps my weapons power back up after slowing from Full Impulse, and a second EPS would speed things up. Also helps switching from Defense to Attack for instance. I know with no EPS console, at a stand still, switching between A and D (either way) takes about 11 seconds, with 1x EPS it takes about 5 seconds. I haven't tested with two EPS, but maybe 2 or 3 seconds? I also understand that while doing sustained fire w/my Beams (and I have many) that my Weapons power goes down. In battle it's been too hectic for me to figure actual measurements, but it looks like it's bouncing up and down to as low as three-quarters (65-75?). Would a second EPS help with that more than the +6 Power Console?

Other note about the Engineering console slots: Two of my four are filled with RCS Accelerators and I won't change those (I've tried to remove even one and my ship maneauvers too poorly for my tastes). The other two are open for the above discussion.

I'm thinking that maybe it would be better to have the two EPS, but would appreciate your comments. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Dont you wish you had an old eps console..... before they lowered them to 1.3
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingDawn View Post
Dont you wish you had an old eps console..... before they lowered them to 1.3
What does that mean? I didn't know they'd lowered them to 1.3. What were they before and what was the circumstances to the chages, do you know?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Actually i had acquired one in the beginning but unfortunantly got rid of it before i new its importance. (eps) I was just a boot (begginer) lol. I'm not sure the past what it was but it was better than 1.3 I think a 3. For an example i have a Sci console Deflector Feild thats a 30, and some other consoles but now i think they are like 15 tops. They did some, what they called balancing and they adjusted some consoles making them less. Makes the old ones lucky to have and a valuble commodity on the exchange. I'm not sure about the figures but it gives you an idea of what happened....By the way, i only have 2 engineer slots so i use one eps console and one for the hull .. I'm not sure the name but it gives (MK X) Tet, Anti, Pol and Plasma residence.
Hope this helps, there are so many varibles to what consoles work good for you.. God Bless
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2010, 05:11 AM
EPS consoles also help you restore weapon power quicker when firing several energy weapons at once.

When you hit spacebar with 4 or more energy weapons firing your weapon power level will drop significantly. The EPS consoles will help bring it back up before the next volley goes off. If you are spamming spacebar as fast as you can with 6 energy weapons and no EPS, it is possible to drop your weapon power low enough that your damage will suffer greatly.

When the game first came out, EPS consoles at Mk X were rated around 3 give or take depending on quality; they were significantly reduced a patch or two ago for balancing purposes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
In battle it's been too hectic for me to figure actual measurements, but it looks like it's bouncing up and down to as low as three-quarters (65-75?). Would a second EPS help with that more than the +6 Power Console?
Whats important is how high the power comes back between firing cycles.
If you weapon power is getting back to 109 everytime before you beams fire again, then stick with the weapons power console.
If your power never gets back that high, and starts lower each time your beams fire, then use the eps.
As this will give you better sustained damage rather than just starting with slightly higher power for your first firing cycle only.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Here is the understanding i have of the consoles.....

- EPS helps with Power Regen (normal use and replenish), and Power Transfer (use of 'Transfer Power' skils and/or EPS/Batteries). If your power levels are not returning to maximum quickly enough you will want to have more of this console type. Of important note, on Tribble the stat has been changed to a percentage. EPS Mk X now shows a 126% increase, so I understand a bit more why these consoles were decreased. The old 3.0 version was providing 300%, and that is unrealistic even for a legendary engineer to do. Also of note, Engineers that have the EPS skill gain from these consoles since the EPS skil boosts Power Regen and Levels.

- Weapon Power consoles increases the pool you pull from, but does not improve the regen of this pool. Some claim large pool is useful, but others argue that if your power level constantly drops then a large initial pool does not help. If you find having a large pool useful at the start of a battle useful (i.e. firing Beam Overload/Cannon Salvo to soften shields), or having a longer time to constant fire on a target (A 100 power pool last longer then a 75 power pool) then use these.

- Weapon Type consoles are the other consideration to Weapon Power consoles. The arguement here is that if your trying to up DPS, then increase the specific weapon damage rather then use the damage increase from power levels. Power Level decrease as you fire, so damage drops due to lack of a constant pool. Weapon type is not diminished by the lack of a pool. Also if you output more damage in a shorter time you have more time to regen the pool, and/or use less of the pool. This work well for those that know they can quickly drop or bypass the targets shields to get the kill.

So in general EPS is always useful. The question becomes if a large pool, or high damage are more useful. Those that stick to one energy type find Weapon Power consoles wasteful (22 increase to generic damage, or 30 increase to specific damage). Those that use several energy types will find Weapon Type consoles limiting (30 increase to one type, when all could have a 22 increase). I will never agree with the all EPS console set up. This may give you the most stable power level, but constantly firing a weak weapon will never overcome a powerful shield.

Hope this might help.

Also I noticed the OPs two RCS consoles. I agree that you will probably want to keep those. With the weapon arcs you are using getting your foward facing beams back on target ASAP does require as much turn rate as you can afford. You may want to see about an Aux console, or the best turn rate Impulse engine you can muster. I use the Combat variant since I have most power in weapons/shields.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Also something to note is an upcoming change to turning rate. Currently your turning rate is dependent on you Auxiliary power setting. Soon that will be changing to be dependent on you Engine power setting. The change is currently being tested on the Tribble (the public test server).
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-20-2010, 08:46 AM
With your current setup you'll ever only be firing 3 energy weapons at a time (fore or aft) and the torp so I would think the 1 EPS should be fine.

To answer the other question (along with some confusion) the previous Mk X EPSs were +3 and they were nerfed to +1.3. BUT unlike the science consoles, ALL the EPS were reduced to +1.3, no one in the STO galaxy has a +3 ESP anymore. The science nerf wasn't like this so some people (like myself) still have +30 science consoles but the best you can get now (outside the Exchange where +30 go for 10 million+ ECs) is the +15.

Finally - I have to ask. OP, why this weapon set up? Just very odd for a cruiser to only have 1 beam array to broadside with. Basically your set up doesn't allow you to broadside with any effectiveness. I've seen set ups with 3 or 4 beam arrays with other weapons such as a mix of beam banks, turrets and/or torps. How do you like your current set up? Have you done STFs and if so how has it faired?

PersonallY I run a more "standard setup" with
Fore: 3 Phaser Beam Array, 1 Quant Torp
Aft: 3 Phaser Beam Array, 1 Quant Torp
Engr Consoles: 2 EPS +1.3 and 2 Plasma Manifolds (each weapons +6)
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses! I have recently traded in my Sci BOff's Tractor beam for Science Team, and I found some other unused already spent skill points, so I did a respec. I was able to put some more points in my efficiency/performance skills. So my Power Levels in Attack Mode are now:

Weapons - 108/100 (114/100 with the +6 Weapons Console)
Shields - 69/50
Engines - 41/25
Aux - 40/25

I also got the 2nd EPS and notice that my power comes back noticebly faster. I can switch from Attack to Defense (or back) in just over 2 seconds. Also, went I come back from Full Impuse to Standard Impulse the time is halved too. And sometimes I like to jack up my Aux to make a quick turn and then switch back to Attack. Again, the EPS helps with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0L13N
...Those that stick to one energy type find Weapon Power consoles wasteful (22 increase to generic damage, or 30 increase to specific damage)....
I have energy-type specific tactical consoles that match my beams. Three of them, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0L13N
Also I noticed the OPs two RCS consoles. I agree that you will probably want to keep those. With the weapon arcs you are using getting your foward facing beams back on target ASAP does require as much turn rate as you can afford. You may want to see about an Aux console, or the best turn rate Impulse engine you can muster. I use the Combat variant since I have most power in weapons/shields.
I find the turning not only imperative for offense, but defense. It helps to be able to get away from a dead opponent before their core goes off. Or even just to change shield facing. I had a Rare MkX Combat Impuse Engine that had the [Turn] feature (+6.4). I just got enough today to get a new Very Rare version that adds a little speed and [Aux] thrusters. I've been keeping my eye out for a [Turn]x2 (or even x3, lol) Engine, but have yet to find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixace View Post
...The science nerf wasn't like this so some people (like myself) still have +30 science consoles
That explains why I had a Mk VIII Tractor Beam console (+22 I think) that was better than most of the Mk Xs (+15) that I found. I thought it a typeo and bought a Mk X but saw my TB effectiveness drop, so I went back to the Mk VIII. Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixace View Post
...why this weapon set up? Just very odd for a cruiser to only have 1 beam array to broadside with. Basically your set up doesn't allow you to broadside with any effectiveness. I've seen set ups with 3 or 4 beam arrays with other weapons such as a mix of beam banks, turrets and/or torps. How do you like your current set up? Have you done STFs and if so how has it faired?
I'm still learning about being a video game player (I only just recently learned what DPS meant, lol), so I try to experiment. I read the stats given by the dual banks and thought I read that they give more DPS. I guess I didn't think about the firing arc... hmmm... I didn't think about givin' them Ye Ol'e Broadside. More beams on target in that case, huh? I'll have to pick-up a couple more beams for the front and try that out more. As for my current setup? I'm not entirely pleased, but not totally disappointed either. I keep hoping I can tweek a little more juice out of it. And inch-by-inch I seem to be doing that. Before my respec my guns did this damage (basic/dps):

Beam Banks: 830/664
Dual Banks: 1104/884

After last night's respec:

BB: 848/679
DB: 1128/903

Do you mind if I ask what you Beam Banks show? As for STF? I have only done Infected once. During the initial space battle I only died twice while we were holding close to the gateway so we could kill it without taking the shield generator thingies (ie more Borg waves). That was better than I think most of the other people on my team. Offensively I was able to take out plenty of Borg (I wasn't counting), I think I did good. In PvP I check the ending screen and it seems I'm usually one of the top 3 damage dealers between both teams. I guess that's pretty good? Maybe if I do more broadsiding I can take on more opponents, eh? Hmm... Something to test I guess. Heh.