Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Excuse the poor GIMP skills.. was trying to do a simple colour replace but couldn't really get it right. picture will explain all:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2...0042010010.jpg

this would be great because it will help give people an idea how to properly spend their skill points instead of just guessing what everything does
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-20-2010, 02:41 AM
YES!

10 chars
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-20-2010, 02:43 AM
I don't think they care. The attitude I've seen has been "let's make it as nebulous as possible to avoid people exploiting imbalanced stuff".

19 04 10 19:18:35 <&Cryptic_Falkoren> That and knowing exact details generally only overtly benefits min/maxers
19 04 10 19:18:44 <&Cryptic_Falkoren> Casual players just accept stuff at face value and enjoy as is


Never mind the fact that keeping it nebulous doesn't REMOVE the imbalanced stuff, and without mass exploitation, they'll probably have no idea what to balance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Exactly like this Skill builder.

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/

Would be an aswome idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-20-2010, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubung View Post
Exactly like this Skill builder.

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/

Would be an aswome idea.
Thanks for the Linky, Not seen that before.

@OP

I agree. I know quite alot about the Tech of Star Trek but the skill system still confuses the hell out of me. We need to know What does What to What
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxidro View Post
I don't think they care. The attitude I've seen has been "let's make it as nebulous as possible to avoid people exploiting imbalanced stuff".

19 04 10 19:18:35 <&Cryptic_Falkoren> That and knowing exact details generally only overtly benefits min/maxers
19 04 10 19:18:44 <&Cryptic_Falkoren> Casual players just accept stuff at face value and enjoy as is


Never mind the fact that keeping it nebulous doesn't REMOVE the imbalanced stuff, and without mass exploitation, they'll probably have no idea what to balance.
I dunno.

I seem to recall Jack Emmert griping about it in an interview, saying that he'd be in his office playing STO, he'd see some of the descriptions and he'd immediately get up, go to the person who wrote the nebulous text and say, "What the hell were you thinking?"

The flipside of that of that according to him is that fixing typos and clarifying things takes time out of doing new stuff and so they have to ration how much time they spend correcting and improving or else they'd never get anything new done.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
The flipside of that of that according to him is that fixing typos and clarifying things takes time out of doing new stuff and so they have to ration how much time they spend correcting and improving or else they'd never get anything new done.
Perhaps they should fix what's there instead of adding more. If you are doing DIY. Do you start more jobs while others are left unfinished? That is a recipe for disaster.

Basically the Skill Descriptions suck and need to be made more clear and I am not having that it would take too much time to correct.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
Excuse the poor GIMP skills.. was trying to do a simple colour replace but couldn't really get it right. picture will explain all:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2...0042010010.jpg

this would be great because it will help give people an idea how to properly spend their skill points instead of just guessing what everything does
That is a nice QoL improvement. I wonder how much programming would need to go in to that to implement...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxanna
Perhaps they should fix what's there instead of adding more. If you are doing DIY. Do you start more jobs while others are left unfinished? That is a recipe for disaster.

Basically the Skill Descriptions suck and need to be made more clear and I am not having that it would take too much time to correct.
Fixing what they have might mean six months to a year without STFs, new features or updates of any kind. Maybe without certain kinds of bug fixes or balancing too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
this would be great because it will help give people an idea how to properly spend their skill points instead of just guessing what everything does
My problem isn't with the colors, it's with the descriptions. In your example, for example, you've got a skill that improves hull repair and related abilities. By how much? How does it improve the abilities? We have some numbers down below, but there's no way of telling how they relate to the hull repair or related abilities. Those numbers could be nicely useful bonuses, or they could be unnoticeable in game play. One would have to do extensive play testing to figure them out, or haunt the internet looking for useful information.

I'm not asking for an explanation here. I'm pointing out that the information needs to be in the game, in the skill descriptions.

If you color code the skills, I still won't know what they really do or how to spend my points in a useful manner.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 PM.