Lt. Commander
# 1 My oh my. The sky is falling!
04-20-2010, 03:12 AM
Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

Not a great forum poster and usually lurk and check in about once a week. I'm a casual gamer and a ST fan and like many others, haven't been playing STO recently. Just thought I'd give a few reasons and my opinions about the state of the game with relation to me directly and hope it strikes a chord with other players and at least gets a viewing by someone at Crytic or someone on the advisory council.

The forums are too full of negativity, and while a lot of it is understandable and I empathise, I really couldn't care less about about posting here regularly and subjecting myself to trolls and abuse.

I purchased lifetime membership, like many others, as a act of faith, my friends did not. None of us are playing regularly now, and my friends have not renewed their subscriptions. We, however, have not quit the game. We enjoyed the experience until RA, and now there is nothing for us to do. We have not left the game, we are simply waiting for new content, and doing other things with our time.

That the game lacks content and endgame activities is not a shock to anyone, but even the new content being added in the form of Fleet Actions and STFs are to a casual gamer like myself, a complete waste of time. They seem to be nothing more than time-sinks and completely inaccessable to my prefered style of gaming. I'm not a fleet player, I don't use vent for STO. STFs ,if I want to do them, require teaming up with a bunch of random strangers and wasting hours in a meaningless grind that more often than not, ends in failure with players rage quitting during the mission. I enjoy PvE, and mmo's like STO, Guildwars and Airrivals, is where I like to hang out when I'm in a casual mood. When I want to PvP, I play FPS games.

I'm not saying that I don't see myself playing PvP in STO, but as one of the previously silent majority and someone who is no longer active in the game, I don't want people suggesting that my absence and the drop off in player numbers is evidence that I and others have quit the game. From my own point of view and those of my friends, we're in hiatus, waiting to come back for something substantial, we haven't quit.

C-store items, inaccessable STFs and bug fixes are being called new content, but to what I suspect is the silent majority, it is not enough to warrant logging in, and doing, and redoing, the same grind like missions day after day after day.

I am happy with my gear. I have no need to go out and grind to get better equipment. I have better things to be doing with my time than repeating the same 3-4 missions. I like PvE, and I like to solo 90% of the time, and there has been no new content for players like me. The new STF content has been aimed at the hardcore fleet players, not the casual gamer. Therefore, I'm not active ... not retired!

I think you have a beautiful looking game on your hands Crytic. I found it enjoyable while I was aiming for RA and there was a sense of achievement. I know that you are working hard on providing new content. I still have faith that you can pull this off and take us places and into situations that are unique and exciting. I'm just asking you to please remember that in your rush to satisfy the need for new content, that you remember the casual players and the reasons we purchased and subscribed in the first place.

The game I played during beta and after release didn't have STFs and the ones you've released so far are not bringing casual gamers back. Please consider making these and future STFs a single/multi player option and let us enjoy the new content as episodes, and I promise that I'll log right back in to enjoy them and any other new content you have to offer us.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-20-2010, 03:25 AM
Currently, assuming 4 seasons a year, the plan seems to be 6 STFs per season. IMHO, they should cut that number back to 4-5 STFs and take the manhours that would go into the missing two and apply them towards creating new sector blocks, episodic content and richer, more rewarding and more diverse exploration missions.

Raiding/endgame group content is important and should be a high priority but it shouldn't be the priority to the exclusion of all else.

Star Trek's galaxy is big enough that they could add 2-3 sector blocks per season, IMHO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-20-2010, 03:25 AM
Just like to say that its not a wall of text Walls of Texts usually don't have sentences and gaps in between, They tend to hurt my eyes and yours does not.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-20-2010, 04:48 AM
so in order to explain your absence you thought the best thing to do was post an overly long I quit thread with an inflammatory title?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2010, 05:11 AM
Interesting.

I think it's no secret that I dislike a lot of this game. It's very naive in places and for the most part, tedious and repetitive.
However there are parts I do like ( or did, up until recently ) and I always said during beta that I would play my 30 days, judge it on that experience then come back later in the year to view later content.
So I cancelled after my 30 days. There was never anything in game that was going to make it worth a monthly subscription. I got plenty of abuse over that from the usual suspects. The usual "why are you still here, you've left, you don't belong, go back to wow" ad nauseum
And that's the point. I never said I'd left. I just cancelled a subscription. Here I am again, I've purchased more game time to see if the season 1 update lives up to the hype of the faithful. Personally I think I've wasted another $30 but that's my business. The game still does not warrant a subscription and in my opinion, because of the very nature of the way it's built and played, it never will. However I too, again, have not left or will not leave. If Cryptic can do enough on actual content rather than spin advertising new content as far more than it is then I will always pay for another month or two just to take a look.
If it survives long enough that is.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
Interesting.
I think it's no secret that I dislike a lot of this game.

I dislike this game more than you TBH...
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstiff
so in order to explain your absence you thought the best thing to do was post an overly long I quit thread with an inflammatory title?
Oviously you need to read the OP post again, no where did he ever mention 'I quit'

And I conccur with Loxanna, this is not a WoT Just a well written critique.

All I can say is to the OP is wait for a wee bit, more content is coming down the pipe.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinyari
Oviously
All I can say is to the OP is wait for a wee bit, more content is coming down the pipe.

I despair when I see this.
Some of you have no choice but to put on a brave face and wait for whatever is given you but can you seriously expect people to pay $15 a month on the promise that every few weeks or so there may be something that adds a few hours gameplay and a whole host of fluffy dice they can buy for the cockpit of their ship?
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Some of you have no choice but to put on a brave face and wait for whatever is given you but can you seriously expect people to pay $15 a month on the promise that every few weeks or so there may be something that adds a few hours gameplay and a whole host of fluffy dice they can buy for the cockpit of their ship?
Why pay $15 a month (in the case of non-lifers, as the OP is a lifer)?

If you've done the content that's here now, stop paying and check the updates - if you see something that sounds like it's added what you needed then re-sub.
In the case of lifers they can just keep coming back every month or so, so the OP can 'wait it out'.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-20-2010, 05:40 AM
Quote:
*Giggles* Says the one with the cancelled account link, funny thing is you had to renew since that screen shot was taken.

ZOMG they are going to have fluffy dice!! Ooo I want one now! ^^