Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
Also. How can you stalk my progress? This is ominous
Captain's database
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrek
I was aware of that thing. I have not looked at it in enough detail to see that it actually tells players what you have done in game. I suppose it's like bioware though.

I'll have to be sure I have completed some content before I rubbish it now
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leprech View Post
-snip-
This post is fabulous. Very well written, and makes a lot of good points. People should be sure to read every word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
...take the manhours that would go into the missing two and apply them towards creating new sector blocks, episodic content and richer, more rewarding and more diverse exploration missions...
This also sounds like a great idea!

Quote:
Also. How can you stalk my progress?
Your captain's online profile shows the missions you complete and what date you played them. http://www.startrekonline.com/charac.../my_characters
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Only two of my captains show up well on the database last time I checked.

It made me sad. I wanted more pictures of my dooders available.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
if you read the previous post I made in this thread that's exactly what I have done. I just get a little tired of seeing lifers glibly respond with the Cryptic mantra of 'coming soon' without giving any thought to what that actually means for monthly players. It's all very well saying "stop paying2 because if everybody stops paying waiting for further content then unless the lifers can rack up some spectacular c-store purchases there will be no new content for lack of funding. ( Atari's next financial reports are going to speak volumes about there being any money around for further development of this game, considering that will need liquid cash ( that they currently don't have ) to fund their 3rd mmo ( providing they get over the legal issues for the licensing of that )

As for me personally, I have not played all the content, not by far. The problem is that I have no impetus to do so given that it's all the same repetitive missions with a bit of dialogue thrown around to distinguish parts from others. But that's an opinion ( and one that has got me no end of abuse from people more easily pleased than I )
I'm a lifer... and to me... I think this is more painful than being a subber.

As it is, I don't play the game. I'm of the opinion that is sucks. So I get miffed when subbers, lifers, and fanbois ALIKE all try to tell me "hang in there... it will get better. " and "Don't worry, you're a lifer, you don't have to worry about paying month to month". Its bullocks.

I wanted a product that was worth my money. As it is, I got something that I am very dissatisfied with that I don't EVEN USE!!!!!!! It would be so much better to be a subber... so that I will have a) SAVED money... and b) I would have the option of actually paying Cryptic when they finish the product to where it is up to a certain point of quality.

I paid for 1.4 years of sub time... that I'm not even using now. Would have been much better to just pay as I go. Given the casual nature of this game... not even a recurring subscription is logical.

bah-humbug
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
I'm a lifer... and to me... I think this is more painful than being a subber.

As it is, I don't play the game. I'm of the opinion that is sucks. So I get miffed when subbers, lifers, and fanbois ALIKE all try to tell me "hang in there... it will get better. " and "Don't worry, you're a lifer, you don't have to worry about paying month to month". Its bullocks.

I wanted a product that was worth my money. As it is, I got something that I am very dissatisfied with that I don't EVEN USE!!!!!!! It would be so much better to be a subber... so that I will have a) SAVED money... and b) I would have the option of actually paying Cryptic when they finish the product to where it is up to a certain point of quality.

I paid for 1.4 years of sub time... that I'm not even using now. Would have been much better to just pay as I go. Given the casual nature of this game... not even a recurring subscription is logical.

bah-humbug

I hear you. I am truly baffled by anyone who seriously claims that they are satisfied with this game and find it worth their money and their time. Honestly I can't understand it. I wonder what kind of minds they must have that they can not see what stares me clearly in the face but I suppose we are all different. Or some of them are not being truthful to save face....
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Quote:
I hear you. I am truly baffled by anyone who seriously claims that they are satisfied with this game and find it worth their money and their time. Honestly I can't understand it. I wonder what kind of minds they must have that they can not see what stares me clearly in the face but I suppose we are all different. Or some of them are not being truthful to save face....
I've always held that an MMO that gives me 2-3 hours of satisfaction a month for $15 is worth it and in that sense, STO more than succeeds.

However, where it fails is that other MMOs can provide more for my $15.

In a vacuum or compared with going to the movies, collecting comics, etc. it's economical for me. Where it lacks is in comparison to what other MMOs will offer for the same fee and the lifetime is what tips the game into the positive for me.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:

Its possible for many STO is their first "MMO" experience. Therefore, they do not have any precedent to reasonably compare STO too.

I probably would have LOVED STO... had I never tried EVE. And maybe thought it was passable or decent if I'd only played CoX or CO.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I've always held that an MMO that gives me 2-3 hours of satisfaction a month for $15 is worth it and in that sense, STO more than succeeds.

However, where it fails is that other MMOs can provide more for my $15.

In a vacuum or compared with going to the movies, collecting comics, etc. it's economical for me. Where it lacks is in comparison to what other MMOs will offer for the same fee and the lifetime is what tips the game into the positive for me.

2-3 hours A MONTH

Wow. What is the point of playing an massively multiplayer online roleplaying game if you are only going to be involved with the community for 2-3 hours a month?

How on earth could you even develop a character at a reasonable pace with that much play time?

For 2-3 hours a month... in the MMO genre... it has to be free to play for me. And given the recent economic climate of the world, I'd say that a lot of people may feel the same, what with 2-3hrs/mo there are excellent Free to play MMOs (even ones that far exceed STO in depth, personality, and quality).
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post

2-3 hours A MONTH

Wow. What is the point of playing an massively multiplayer online roleplaying game if you are only going to be involved with the community for 2-3 hours a month?

How on earth could you even develop a character at a reasonable pace with that much play time?

For 2-3 hours a month... in the MMO genre... it has to be free to play for me. And given the recent economic climate of the world, I'd say that a lot of people may feel the same, what with 2-3hrs/mo there are excellent Free to play MMOs (even ones that far exceed STO in depth, personality, and quality).
You missed his point entirely I'm afraid. 2-3 hours of entertainment for $15 is a decent value. That's cheaper than taking a date to a movie, or eating a nice dinner, or buying a DVD. I can spend more than that at the Comic store on books that I read in under that. You could pay far more than that for a month of Cable TV or a Cell Phone.

He wasn't saying that he only plays that long. Thats why he said it 'more than succeeds.' He plays more than that. It was just dollar to time value of an online game compared to nearly anything else.