Lt. Commander
I'm just consolidating my suggestions on this, which have evolved since the game started.

Hobby: (Dropdown) -- Examples: Archaeology, Antiquities, Baseball, History, Mechanics, Music, Painting. Note: These may influence exploration content, giving you missions skewed towards a BO's skills or interests.

Faction prejudices. -- Examples: Andorian, Human, Klingon, Nausicaan, Orion, Vulcan

Faction sympathies. -- Examples: Andorian, Human, Klingon, Nausicaan, Orion, Vulcan

NOTE: You have a net value of 2 you can select. Every prejudice allows for an extra sympathy. You cannot select the same race for both a prejudice and sympathy.

The above influence AI behavior.

Gender preference. (Checkboxes. Pick Two.) Male or Female

Primary and Secondary Demeanor (Checkboxes. Pick Two.) : (Ambitious, Amorous, Crafty, Cynical, Honorable, Logical, Naive, Parental, Vengeful) -- Each of these would influence a daily mission from each BO, accessible aboard your ship.

An ending: (Betrayal, Death, Promotion, Reassignment, Resignation) -- Each of these would have several random possible missions that end in that result. There could be some rare outcomes with the right combination of other factors such as a BO resigning their commission to marry your Captain.

I think it would be key that once you get offered that BO's "Final Mission", you get a disclaimer saying, "WARNING: Completion of this mission will result in the loss of this bridge officer." You do get a very special reward for completing one of these missions.

You also set these factors for your captain, skewing exploration content towards your captain's traits, building the story around the captain.

These would be set at random for the most part. Each ground mission completed with a BO in an away team awards them an Influence point. Each space mission with a BO manning a station at completion gets one influence point.

You use influence points to modify your BO's character arc. For instance, you may see that a BO who enters service under your command is prejudiced against Vulcans (becomes irrational and dangerous when fighting Vulcan enemies), Vengeful and heading for Death as an outcome. You make a point of serving with them. As you serve together, you are able to reshape them.

Bridge Officers who share a Compatibility with your Captain (same or similar, in the case of gender interest compatible) gain an extra Influence point per completed mission as you have more influence over them.

You can modify your Captain's character arc traits with Badges of Character or use the Badges to purchase more Influence with Bridge crew (1 Badge buys 5 Influence). Badges of Character are awarded for doing the daily character missions issued by your Bridge Officers aboard your ship. Modifying any one character trait would take 20 badges or 200 Influence.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Great stuff - I love the mechanical side being quantified.

If it helps, you can steal this image from a similar thread I started:

http://img52.yfrog.com/i/personalquestsideas.jpg/
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Lovely suggestion!

I play a Betazoid raised by Vulcans and prejudiced against his own species. The sympathy/prejudice values would give me a pretty interesting twist there.

I also like the idea to link exploration missions to interests, even its just cosmetic (i.e. my hobby is geology so I scan 5 rocks instead of a hobby botanist scanning 5 plants).
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Very cool idea, but take out that "ending" part. You see, if I want my BO to die, I just delete them the old fashioned way. If I want to do a story I would write a story, but I don't want to be constrained to the options a programmer is able to come up with, especially if I want to have multiple bridge officers pursue a similar end.

But the rest is awesome. Even a dumbed down version of Dragon Age characters would be a welcome addition, and since STO is a real MMO instead of a single player MMO (like Dragon Age is) then you can do much cooler stuff even without the voice acting.

I'd love to see a bridge officers story grow each day I log in, perhaps its a daily but randomly generated quest (like the ones generated by Genesis) offered by the BO when I go visit the interior of my ship, or perhaps certain conditions must be met, such as having all bridge officers offer a unique quest (based on the background, with some of the bits randomly generated) after each rank up, or after each completion of a Special Task Force.

Your influence points could even be spent to raise a Bridge Officers Ground Traits, from Basic to Normal to Superior.

Great post!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2010, 04:10 PM
You have my full support
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I love this idea for the most part and would bring the game closer to what I was hoping I would be able to do with it regarding my crew so I can have my final crew reflect the crew I came up with in my own fan fiction.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...9/image0-9.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
/signed

you have my support as well.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS-Andromeda View Post
Very cool idea, but take out that "ending" part. You see, if I want my BO to die, I just delete them the old fashioned way. If I want to do a story I would write a story, but I don't want to be constrained to the options a programmer is able to come up with, especially if I want to have multiple bridge officers pursue a similar end.
My idea is that the ending is not mandatory but an option you earn. Why simply dismiss when you can trade them in?

The idea I probably didn't go into enough detail on either is that you can achieve "Epic Endings" if you properly manicure the BO.

For instance, maybe they do marry you. Then they don't "go away" per se but simply leave your crew roster and become an NPC in your quarters who applies a buff.

Or they get offered their own command, in which case you get an item with a long cooldown, with their information stored on it, and you can summon them, say, once a day to show up with their ship and get you out of a tight spot, like the Excelsior did for the Enterprise in the later movies.

Or maybe their epic ending has them living in the Bajoran wormhole and appearing to you to offer you non-linear wisdom or guidance.

"Epic Endings" keep them as part of the tapestry of your captain's life.

And, like I say, endings are optional. You are told that a mission will act as an ending if you accept it. You can simply not accept it. (Ie. "Captain. I want to take revenge on the Klingons. I'm begging you, take me to the neutral zone!" And you can say, "Okay!" and begin the chain or say "Request denied" and either keep them indefinitely or keep manicuring them for a better ending.) PURELY optional. If nothing else, a way you can dismiss longstanding bridge officers without simply getting rid of them... And maybe an encouragement to assign a few BOs you have no intent of keeping, whose storyline you want to burn through.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS-Andromeda View Post
I'd love to see a bridge officers story grow each day I log in, perhaps its a daily but randomly generated quest (like the ones generated by Genesis) offered by the BO when I go visit the interior of my ship, or perhaps certain conditions must be met, such as having all bridge officers offer a unique quest (based on the background, with some of the bits randomly generated) after each rank up, or after each completion of a Special Task Force.

Your influence points could even be spent to raise a Bridge Officers Ground Traits, from Basic to Normal to Superior.
I like that latter bit.

And let me offer some examples of daily mission types you might see:

"Captain, I haven't seen my extended family in a long time. I have a distant relative who wants to meet me on <insert homeworld here; starbase for custom aliens or races without an in-game homeworld>. Do you think you could see fit to drop me off there...? I know I'm due for some shore leave."

- Request accepted or denied. Simple drop off mission. But be careful because there's a variant that is an enemy trap.

"Captain, I'm developing... feelings for <insert compatible bridge officer here>. I know this may sound silly but I lack the right words for this. I respect your authority, your grasp of how to say the right things at the right time. Strictly as a personal matter, do you think you could help me?"

- Request accepted or denied. Play a Diplomacy system game with the object of your BO's affection and learn whether the interest is shared. There is also a variant of this where they are interested in you and you play the diplomacy game directly with your BO before coming to an ending where, if it goes well, you both agree that, for professional reasons, any blooming romance will have to wait.

"Captain. As you may know, I'm something of a student of Archaeology. The former Ambassador to Vulcan published a paper not long ago saying that he believes <random artifact> is on <random planet>. I believe I have narrowed down its location in my research. If the ship will be in that sector, I was wondering if you'd care to join me for some shore leave where we <try to beat the Nausicaans to the site/question the natives/conduct a dig>."

- Request accepted or denied. Possibility that it is or isn't actually even present. If it isn't, you may find another artifact which your BO gives to you to display in your ready room or an advanced technological artifact that acts as ship equipment.

"Captain, as a student of history, I'm very interested in the museum exhibit about <culture and time period> on <random planet>. I would like to help catalog their findings and see if I can shed any light on them."

- Go to a museum, perhaps modeled on the one seen in Voyager's "Living Witness". Catalog artifacts. Possibly repel invasion. If it's the latter, you might be given an artifact by the curator tying into the exhibit. Options include things like phaser pistols, NX-01 era uniforms, model ships, ancient period costumes, themed ship equipment mechanically similar to the Red Matter capacitor or Pet Shuttle, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Lovely suggestion!

I play a Betazoid raised by Vulcans and prejudiced against his own species. The sympathy/prejudice values would give me a pretty interesting twist there.

I also like the idea to link exploration missions to interests, even its just cosmetic (i.e. my hobby is geology so I scan 5 rocks instead of a hobby botanist scanning 5 plants).
How would you feel if, to a certain extent, some of this was just reflected in some dialogue variables but you knew that most missions would reflect your character.

Also, to everyone:

What would you suggest as KDF hobbies?

Archaeology, Antiquities, History, Mechanics, Music, Painting. These all transcend species limits.

Baseball might make sense in the KDF seeing as how the final Gorn/Klingon conflict was staged as a baseball game to keep casualties down, as kind of an honor challenge. I just have this feeling that, similar to "Shakespeare in the Original Klingon", Baseball may be the "Gorn National Pastime" in 2409.

What hobbies would you like to see reflected?