Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
the borg the undine and alot more enemys from all sides and constant war whit otuhere factions, all this shud have made the peace loving federation to think about building more ships for battle? i see people stating all the time that if u want warships u shud go klingon, but that makes 0 sence... i never understood why they make the pylons so unprotected seeing its quiet a critical part of the ship
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-25-2010, 09:31 AM
There's only so much you can do to protect them, though. The nacelles have to be so far from any place of the ship that's in use because of thermal and radiation concerns. Even then, not all ships have such exposed pylons. Or any at all (Defiant class, for example). Besides, is that really the biggest worry you have? The pylons? Compared to the excessively exposed hood ornament that is any Federation starship's Main Bridge? Command staff, all wiped out with one lucky torpedo shot.

As for the Federation building warships, there's always been designs in the work for a heavy warship, but those projects have always been shelved because of resource cost compared to benefit to the overall mission. That's why the Mars Class battleship never came to be. Even the Klingons only ever produced about half a dozen heavy battleships (the B10s/B11s, for any of you SFB fans reading this).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3 ya
04-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlyman View Post
Even the Klingons only ever produced about half a dozen heavy battleships (the B10s/B11s, for any of you SFB fans reading this).
SFB FAN RIGHT HERE!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!
Man I wished they used a lot of the rules, ships, and races from that!!!
There was also that huge weapon w/ a ship built around it. Similar to the enterprize refit, you saw, that cored the ship in 1 shot. Romulans and KDF had a few, even the Feds had a few. It's not that they can't do it, but it's a core intent thing. What use would they get out of it afterwards? Not like anyone is going to believe you're on a mission of peace and exploreation, when you park something like a B10 at the doorstep.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixt
the borg the undine and alot more enemys from all sides and constant war whit otuhere factions, all this shud have made the peace loving federation to think about building more ships for battle? i see people stating all the time that if u want warships u shud go klingon, but that makes 0 sence... i never understood why they make the pylons so unprotected seeing its quiet a critical part of the ship
I have answered this before and ill answer again. The last line is the most important.

Quote:
If i can turn on my super geek mode for a moment.

The reason Nacelles on federation ships are so far out is for the protection of the people inside the hull. See, the warp coils build up a type of radiation and the two best ways to deal with that radiation are to either have your nacelles away from the hull so they can not harm crew, or to extensively shield your ship from its own warp nacelles, Starfleet chooses the first option.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nacelle

as for the long "neck" that separates the Primary Hull or "Saucer Section" from the Secondary Hull well...
The Secondary Hull usually has all the engineering components as well as most of the weapons like torpedo bays, while the Saucer Section has all the living quarters, crew amenities, medical bays, science labs, basically everything else you need for every day life. In this way, all the things that can go boom are in one part of the ship, while all the needs of the personnel are in the other. So if you have something like antimatter containment loss or a coolant leak that floods the secondary hull, there is a small and definite separation from the life supporting area of the ship. in the case of the Constitution if there were a life threatening problem in engineering that were to spread the saucer can be sealed at the neck and can server as a lifeboat for the entire crew until rescue. In the case of the Galaxy class, the saucer can separate and carry its crew to safety.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Primary_hull
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Secondary_hull

Funny isn't it? Most Federation ship designers are more focused on protecting the crew of the ship from their ship itself rather then the other guy's ship. But what does it matter what is structurally vulnerable? When your shields go down, it isn't really going to matter where they hit you, it's going to hurt.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Simple:

It is because it looks pretty on film.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlyman View Post
Besides, is that really the biggest worry you have? The pylons? Compared to the excessively exposed hood ornament that is any Federation starship's Main Bridge? Command staff, all wiped out with one lucky torpedo shot.
*SNORT* lemon tea spurts from nostrils *GUFFAW!!!*

That is hilarious! I've always thought the bridge position on Federation ships was insane too. Hahahaha! At least The Next Generation evolved the "Battle Bridge" ... which was used all of 3 or 4 times.

Thank you RC, you made my afternoon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcian_Darkrobe View Post
SFB FAN RIGHT HERE!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!
Man I wished they used a lot of the rules, ships, and races from that!!!
There was also that huge weapon w/ a ship built around it. Similar to the enterprize refit, you saw, that cored the ship in 1 shot. Romulans and KDF had a few, even the Feds had a few. It's not that they can't do it, but it's a core intent thing. What use would they get out of it afterwards? Not like anyone is going to believe you're on a mission of peace and exploreation, when you park something like a B10 at the doorstep.
It's not even so much of how big you make it, either. I mean, look at the devastation the Romulan BOP did in Balance of Terror. That was a small vessel, crewed by probably a dozen. Granted, it had but one weapon... but what a weapon it was! And consider the outcome if their cloaking device been on par with the one Kirk stole in The Enterprise Incident. Still get chills thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickSh0t
*SNORT* lemon tea spurts from nostrils *GUFFAW!!!*

That is hilarious! I've always thought the bridge position on Federation ships was insane too. Hahahaha! At least The Next Generation evolved the "Battle Bridge" ... which was used all of 3 or 4 times.

Thank you RC, you made my afternoon.
And only ever when the ship was separated, either! I still laugh when I watch Disaster, the comments about the Bridge being inaccessible. OK, so you're cut off from the Bridge. What about the Battle Bridge? Wouldn't that serve just as much of a purpose of regaining control of the ship, Riker? You'd probably get there in a third of the time it'd take you to get to Engineering, considering you're only climbing up two decks, rather thank climbing down twenty-six decks!

Oh, and you're welcome, glad to be of service. ^_^
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 PM.