Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
04-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
If you're referring to Wardenclyffe, that wasn't a death ray, it was an experiment in wireless power sources. A successful one, I might add. Probably would've revolutionized power management, except that 1) nobody wanted to buy any and 2) Tesla eventually dismantled it because he feared its weaponization potential.
No I'm not referring to Wardenclyffe, although the two are related. I'm more referring to Teleforce which involves shooting mercury particles by means of electrostatic repulsion....or whatever that means lol.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Can I include what I cover too?

This week, we're looking at the history of technology, asking if artifacts have politics.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaSamurai
Tesla had a death ray....pity no country really invested heavily in it.
If you are referring to Nikola Tesla's unfinished Wardenclyffe Tower project aka the Tesla Coil. It was a way to transfer energy with out wires. He demonstrated this by lighting a incandescent light bulb which he held in his hands a few feet from a smaller version of the coil. He never finished his project because 1 he had serious money troubles after a few of his ideas were stolen by Thomas Edison and 2 poor money management (rumor) He would not have likely completed the Tesla coil had he any indication of military applications. in short BITE ME and check your facts :p
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
If you are referring to Nikola Tesla's unfinished Wardenclyffe Tower project aka the Tesla Coil. It was a way to transfer energy with out wires. He demonstrated this by lighting a incandescent light bulb which he held in his hands a few feet from a smaller version of the coil. He never finished his project because 1 he had serious money troubles after a few of his ideas were stolen by Thomas Edison and 2 poor money management (rumor) He would not have likely completed the Tesla coil had he any indication of military applications. in short BITE ME and check your facts :p
...we've already had this conversation, dear.

He wasn't referring to Wardenclyffe. I tried to call him on that, and got told.

Edit: And it happened TWO POSTS above yours!!!
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm happy to see the scholarly conversation has continued in my absence.

Quote:
I volunteer to be TA. I can torture the students by feeding hormonal flirtatious would be cheating students wrong answers
I'm sorry, but you are missing the primary duties of the TA - which is to do my scut work and to laugh at my obscure jokes. Still, I'll give you the job on the strength of your punting ability - so bring the mallet and I'll see you in class.

This is going to be glorious....
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherguy
The afternoon will be taken up with a riveting talk about the evolution of the nation-state in the 19th century.
What level of education do you teach?

I have a background in international relations, so I was wondering if you would be covering Adam Watson's The Evolution of International Society. Which is actually a misnomer, since 'society' connotes much more interdependence than we currently enjoy.

One of my favourite parts about this topic is Clausewitz's contribution to 20th(+) century realism.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
...we've already had this conversation, dear.

He wasn't referring to Wardenclyffe. I tried to call him on that, and got told.

Edit: And it happened TWO POSTS above yours!!!
Yes I see that now, Sorry Zona I have seen too many peeps accuse Tesla of being the inventor of a non existent "death ray" in the past and have become a tad bit sensitive to it. Yes, i am apologizing. Excuse me, I seem to have a new TA job to report for.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Speaking of Tesla coils, I once held one in my hand, about the size of a tennis ball. Apparently that one could go up to 5 Tesla. When I switched it on, I felt a tingling.

And then I switched it off and put it back on the shelf, vowing from then on that the only miniature high-radiation sources I would ever hold in my naked hand, would be a Blackberry.

Years later, I gave my Blackberry back to the company, vowing from then on that I would never again hold any miniature high-radiation source in my naked hand.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Here's a fun little Tesla Coil video.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
In middle school I had a history teacher who was a retired Marine. His lecture on LeIf Ericson went something like this.

THE VIKINGS WERE TOUGH S.O.B's! THEY ATE 2x4's FOR BREAKFAST AND SPIT SPLINTERS AT LUNCH! THE INDIANS WERE TOUGHER S.O.B's! THEY ATE NAILS FOR BREAKFAST AND SPIT RUST AT LUNCH! AND THEY KICKED LEIF ERICSON AND HIS VIKING'S REAR ENDS ALL THE WAY BACK TO ICELAND.