Lt. Commander
So, this new poll has had me thinking...

Borg as a player faction makes little sense from a Canon standpoint. We're talking hive mind here, and MMO players want to be unique snowflakes... even if they aren't.

After a few posts trying to get my brain around how Borg could be done, fun, but not genre-breaking, I realized something...

Borg Game-play has already been done by Cryptic!

In the Zombie Apocalypse map of Champions Online PvP!

This would be an AMAZING addition to STO!

The easiest explanation is this: You start out as a group of heroes (captains) fighting hoards of zombies (Borg) in a frozen snowbound camp (assimilated ship). ONE player is selected to start as a zombie version (assimilated version) of themselves. You fight as hard as you can, but when each one falls, they rise again as a zombie (Borg) until all players are zombies (assimilated). Bonuses rewarded for time spent alive, etc. Mission goals included number of player kills, and so on.

This already exists, its already popular over on Champions, and was originally intended to be a holiday-only event, but became a permanent installation to the CO PvP maps.

I would LOVE to play ZA (BA) here!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2010, 08:05 AM
I demand an Anti Proton chainsaw !!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2010, 08:27 AM
That would be pretty cool as a repeatable mission or something, but I am not sure how you translate that into a permanent faction mechanic.

I'll tell you what I absolutely don't want is a permanent mechanic in the game as a whole that lets other players assimilate me into their faction, unless it's part of something I specifically choose to do, like entering a certain type of battle or map.

As I said in a couple other threads on this topic, I would really like to see what they have in mind, if nothing else it would add texture to what we know about what the devs think is possible.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2010, 08:32 AM
This could be an excellent mini-game somewhere in a holosuit or something, that you could play just for fun! I don't think a playable faction would work with this mechanic, but a minigame for sure!

I'm all for it!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
I demand an Anti Proton chainsaw !!!
If you get an Anti-Proton chainsaw then I want a Plasma Frying Pan, procs tasty food which can either boost your resistance to (the) hunger or distract the enemy thus lowering their accuracy.

.... now I've got myself hungry, where did I leave that Phaser Grill with bacon proc?
Lt. Commander
# 6 yes
04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
i dont often post on forums but this is a great idea ( i love ZA in CO)
but imagine more... what if the Klingons and the Feds could work together in
this fight, we all hate the Borg right?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaxlor View Post
That would be pretty cool as a repeatable mission or something, but I am not sure how you translate that into a permanent faction mechanic.
They have these "invasions" in City of Heroes as well. They are triggered by certain in-game actions.

For example, completing the Lady Grey Task Force results in a Rikti Invasion of a zone chosen at random. Turning in Halloween salvage to unlock a 5th costume slot has a chance to spawn a Zombie Apocalypse in a zone chosen at random.

While not an "invasion" or "apocalypse" type event, certain missions will spawn Giant Monsters as well. The "Stop Project Wildfire" mission in the "Operation: World Wide Red" story arc will spawn the Kronos Titan Giant Monster/Robot. There is also a mission that is part of the Synapse Task Force that will spawn the Babbage giant robot.

What's neat about those two in particular is that if you have multiple people running that arc at the same time, you can spawn multiple versions of the same monster in the same zone at once. We did this a few times. I believe we had 17 Giant Monsters spawn at once a few years ago.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Did anyone see the Voyager episodes where Borg got seperated from the collective or maybe the series finale where Janeway goes all WMD over the Borg?

The collective is extremely fragmented - to the point where individual borg (not just hugh's boys) exist.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The collective is extremely fragmented - to the point where individual borg (not just hugh's boys) exist.
Maybe. All anyone knows for sure is that their transwarp hub network was destroyed. That can be rebuilt. The overall impact to the Collective as a whole was never shown in canon.

Sure, the Queen died... but she died in Star Trek: First Contact too... and then came back for Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Maybe. All anyone knows for sure is that their transwarp hub network was destroyed. That can be rebuilt. The overall impact to the Collective as a whole was never shown in canon.

Sure, the Queen died... but she died in Star Trek: First Contact too... and then came back for Voyager.
Not sure if they ever explained why that is but it sounds like she (the Borg Queen) pulled off a Data/B-4 switcharoo before it was the popular thing to do. Perhaps everything she learns is stored somewhere safe and when she dies another of her race is then uploaded with all info/personality that completely destroys the original mindset of the "new" Queen.