Lt. Commander
# 1 Sports in Star Trek Online
04-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone.

With the only sport planned for STO being pushed back until June (the Dabo minigame, season 1.3), I was wondering if anyone out there might like to help me investigate competitions in the game world.

For example, we could have Danube Shuttlecraft races around the earth - from the moon around and back. Or, we could go to Hobus iii where it's low gravity, and have climbing contests, or a race across the pipes. I also found that by somersaulting forward you can perch right on top of stalagmites in Llait.

Bottom line is, Cryptic is not going to be putting competitive minigames in the game soon, so who wants to help me organize a star Trek Online sports league?

Because, other than that, it's just deathmatching the Klingons, which is fun, but wearing on me a bit.

If you're interested, post and maybe I'll contact you.

Thanks, and lets get this going.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2010, 10:03 PM
To quote dstahl:
Quote:
The cryptic engine can certainly handle sports, but the physics programmers are swamped with requests and not likely to be adding that type of gameplay to STO specifically.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...48&postcount=9
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2010, 10:09 PM
No, I'm not asking the developers to do anything, I know they're busy. I just wondered if some like minded individuals might like to get together to do fun things within the Star Trek online universe other than shoot phasers.

We would, in effect, be testing the sports functionality of the engine. No developer support needed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlos
No, I'm not asking the developers to do anything, I know they're busy. I just wondered if some like minded individuals might like to get together to do fun things within the Star Trek online universe other than shoot phasers.

We would, in effect, be testing the sports functionality of the engine. No developer support needed.
They'll be minigames - but they're bumped down the docket until major features get out the door this July.

As for any sport-sports, I doubt it.

I'm sure nothing is stopping you from organizing other players into groups for interesting feats within the engine.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Baseball could be done without physics and collisions/etc. are not ideal. The most you'd need physics wise is dust when people slide and calculated arcs/velocity for the ball, which can be faked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaUk0...eature=related

I think if it's a mini-game, something like Bases Loaded with a higher framerate would be positively adored and Baseball probably makes more sense than any other sport aside fromfencing, which wouldn't need to be physics intensive either.