Lt. Commander
Point of Clarification: I am not advocating STO become either Casual OR Hardcore. It can be both, but only if its done well. If it can't, then a discovery of what this game's identity should be may be prudent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faymar
Okay I will be the first to admit I am not a veteran mmo player, CO was my first MMO, I am also not a kid I have a husband kids a career the works. The only reason I mention this is to show I am a responsible intelligent adult that doesnít get confused easily, but I have to say Cryptics MMO community confuses the hell out of me in what they want.

You don't want STO to be easy peezy I get that
Yet I saw some of you raise total hell over what you called Champions Online "War on fun" when the developers made the game harder.

You want Open PVP
You don't want Open PVP

You want Exploration
You don't want it to become boring text boxes without action.

If i was a developer I would be a little bit confused too, form an outsiders point of view it looks like you guys can't come to a consensus of what you want and no matter what the devs do someone will be ****ed..

Not trying to rock the Cryptic you suck boat..Iím just sayin.
You are right Faymar.

However these varying differences in opinion is also partly Cryptic's fault. While they may have tentative plans for where they want this game to go, they have little clear direction (it seems) on what they want this game to be.

STO - A Casual MMO?

The game is SEEMINGLY geared toward the casual gaming audience. In that
  • progression time is short
  • gameplay is linear and themepark style
  • general game mechanics are over simplified (spacebar mashing).

STO - Gamer's/AAA MMORPG?
However, the game lacks accessibility effectively making it not a casual MMO. The skill sets, the confusing stat modifiers, and how they affect performance basically not only confuse the hell out of you, but out of a good many others as well.

Contributing further to the game's multiple-personality disorder comes in the form of what Cryptic has been recently releasing. SFT are STO's version of "hard core raiding" (if it can be called that). They require hours of play time, again which is not something that caters to casual gamers.

STO - A Foggy Identity

Unfortunately these sundry aspects of STO's personality culminate in a product that caters to various demographics, but is a master of none. We end up with an overall mediocre product as judged by most major gaming review sites.

Therefore, you have people coming from all different directions spouting their opinions on the game because it tries to go in too many directions at once. Sure, leaving the direction of the game in the hands of players is a "neat idea" in theory... but it is not able to be implemented with a game that frenetically goes in so many different directions.

Anyway, these are just my observations. I may be totally wrong.

A Point to Consider
Ideally, Cryptic would have spent more time considering the overall long term direction and identity of this game. Do they want to cater to the casual audience, which is fleeting at best (a F2P model would have been sufficient), or do they want to cater to a demographic that generally has more staying power it the product is of a certain level of quality (moderate - hardcore gamers). Since Cryptic didn't have the time necessary to make a quality AAA MMO, then they should have just gone the F2P model, and everyone's expectations would have been appropriately set (of course, that would have been naturally disappointing to some, if not a good many people), but regardless, people would have had more appropriately set expectations.

As for the Future, Cryptic needs to sit down and found out what STO's identity is to be. Because right now, the game itself is confused. Too many people want this to be a product of depth and quality, while a good many others simply want a casual gaming experience where they feel free to play a few hours a week when they need a Star Trek fix.

Given what Cryptic's resources are, this game can not be both. (this is my opinion only).

Conclusions
There are A LOT of fantastic ideas out there, even quite a few here on the forums (the 5 point strategy for saving STO for example), but Cryptic needs to seriously consider both scope AND resources and pick a specific direction. This may be a good article to read for the Devs/Management. Scott Jennings: Legendary Failures of Legend

Anyway, just my 2 credits.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Or they could be catering to many different playstyles and tastes (something which takes longer).

Afterall, Cryptic's philosophy regarding character creation (on visual and statistic levels) is deeper than many MMOs. Why not assume that variety will be added later?

There are reason why combat was implemented first (rather than diplomacy) during the development window.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2010, 10:49 PM
The entire OP is so wrong on so many levels...
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
The entire OP is so wrong on so many levels...
You can elaborate.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Or they could be catering to many different playstyles and tastes (something which takes longer).

Afterall, Cryptic's philosophy regarding character creation (on visual and statistic levels) is deeper than many MMOs. Why not assume that variety will be added later?
Sure they could do that, but can they given their resources and prior experience? Sure they can, so many things are possible, I recognize this... so lets just go a step further and ask... is it probable that they could do that and do it well.

Contrary to what may seem as calling for a more "narrow scope" in my OP... I am ALL ABOUT wide open spaces, and the more the merrier. I'm totally down with your suggestion... but only if its done right, and done well the first time. If they aren't able to to that, then practically speaking... one step at a time for them.

As for their character creation... meh. Customization isn't that big a deal for me. I'd much rather have a fun game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I have to agree and disagree at the same time. I actually would lay more of the blame on the IP itself. Star Trek means so much to so many different people. The diversity is almost staggering. I think the only way to encompass as much as they can is to focus on the player needs and wants with the majority being the guiding principle.

I agree that in the beginning there were a lot of issues that lead to the situation that we as players are facing now. Both deadlines and the split focus of PC/Console, as well as money lead the game to its current state. However, I think it can and will be improved but that it is going to take time for Cryptic to understand the players as well as what the players want to see.

I disagree with the concept that a game must be hardcore or casual. I think a MMO can be both as long as there are opportunities for flexibility. Casual players should not be forced into a raiding scenario but by the same token casual players needs to understand that constantly producing new episodes for them to partake in takes time to create. That is, might be a year or more before there is a significant number to occupy the majority of casual players. Yet, the opposite is also true there needs to be raid type endgame content that has appropriate risk/rewards to give the hardcore player a reason to do them. In all honesty I feel that is going to require Cryptic to gain more experience with the first raidisodes before we really start to see true raids. Again, it will take time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
I have to agree and disagree at the same time. I actually would lay more of the blame on the IP itself. Star Trek means so much to so many different people. The diversity is almost staggering. I think the only way to encompass as much as they can is to focus on the player needs and wants with the majority being the guiding principle.

I agree that in the beginning there were a lot of issues that lead to the situation that we as players are facing now. Both deadlines and the split focus of PC/Console, as well as money lead the game to its current state. However, I think it can and will be improved but that it is going to take time for Cryptic to understand the players as well as what the players want to see.

I disagree with the concept that a game must be hardcore or casual. I think a MMO can be both as long as there are opportunities for flexibility. Casual players should not be forced into a raiding scenario but by the same token casual players needs to understand that constantly producing new episodes for them to partake in takes time to create. That is, might be a year or more before there is a significant number to occupy the majority of casual players. Yet, the opposite is also true there needs to be raid type endgame content that has appropriate risk/rewards to give the hardcore player a reason to do them. In all honesty I feel that is going to require Cryptic to gain more experience with the first raidisodes before we really start to see true raids. Again, it will take time.
You sum things up nicely and posit a reasonable assertion for which I can not disagree with. Actually on the whole, I wasn't trying to advocate that STO become either/or... but merely pointing out a problem as it exists right now. STO goes off in too many directions with none of them being noteworthy or outstanding. Both sides of the demographic pool are confused or frustrated. A quandary if ever there was one!

As for the "majority"... what does this constitute? Does this mean only people who are active subscribers now? Does this only refer to people who are active subscribers AND active players? Does the majority include the hordes of people who purchased the game but then left after the first free month? Does the majority include the MMO gaming crowd, or the Star Trek crowd? etc. herein lies the identity crisis.

From my perspective, the majority should be those people who purchased the box. They constitute people who a) play games, b) are interested in anything star trek or c) both.

In anycase, you are right. Star Trek comes with it a vast amount of possibilities and CAN be successfully driven to cater to a large demographic... if done well, and right the first time.

oh my gosh, im so hungry. lunch time.