Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otheym81 View Post
Is this really an intended side affect of Scramble Sensors?

Occasionally I'm shooting a ship I have targeted. Someone on the other team uses scramble, and now everyone's a neutral target. I just pick my targets carefully. So I start shooting at my selected target, maybe launch an ability or two and... I shoot at something off screen.

Usually it's an ally in pvp, strangely enough. Regardless, I didn't deselect my target, it's still clearly marked as my primary. Auto assist is off in my options if that matters. And I'm not using auto target. Many times I notice that my target isn't even targeting the one I shot.

I clear the target and reselect carefully. Hit spacebar...

And one of my beams/torpedoes still shoots at an ally. This isn't and never was a mistake on my part. It's shooting a fresh beam at something not selected.

I don't recall seeing this behavior from scramble a few patches ago. Does anyone remember this happening for sure in the past, or has it cropped up in the past couple weeks?

I mean no offense to anyone by saying this, but it sounds like you are, more or less, accurately describing "Scramble Sensors."

I am a Science Ship Admiral. When I use Scramble Sensors on an enemy ship, I expect that ship to not be able to be a combat asset as far as Beams and Torpedoes are concerned. For the duration of the effect, I would expect you to try to re-target myself, or my ally. The beautiful part about Scramble Sensors is that it is a duration effect, meaning, for the duration of the effect, your sensors are not going to function correctly. So, when you re-target, and Scramble Sensors is still affecting your ship, you are, and this is a guess, SUPPOSED to no be able to rely on your targeting. From what I would understand, and I could be wrong, everything you see on your client is through your sensors. Once your sensors are "corrupted," identifying
targets and friendlies should be nearly impossible...

As a matter of fact, as a science ship admiral, I wish it was even worse. I would have liked to see the viewable area of your client become unviewable, your client would drop your target, and when you "Choose nearest enemy," you choose the nearest ship regardless of friend or foe.

So, it could be worse...If it works the way I think it does.

But, like I said...I could be wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracyl View Post
I mean no offense to anyone by saying this, but it sounds like you are, more or less, accurately describing "Scramble Sensors."

I am a Science Ship Admiral. When I use Scramble Sensors on an enemy ship, I expect that ship to not be able to be a combat asset as far as Beams and Torpedoes are concerned. For the duration of the effect, I would expect you to try to re-target myself, or my ally. The beautiful part about Scramble Sensors is that it is a duration effect, meaning, for the duration of the effect, your sensors are not going to function correctly. So, when you re-target, and Scramble Sensors is still affecting your ship, you are, and this is a guess, SUPPOSED to no be able to rely on your targeting. From what I would understand, and I could be wrong, everything you see on your client is through your sensors. Once your sensors are "corrupted," identifying
targets and friendlies should be nearly impossible...

As a matter of fact, as a science ship admiral, I wish it was even worse. I would have liked to see the viewable area of your client become unviewable, your client would drop your target, and when you "Choose nearest enemy," you choose the nearest ship regardless of friend or foe.

So, it could be worse...If it works the way I think it does.

But, like I said...I could be wrong.
Scramble sensors is quite effective, I use it on my science ship as well. It limits reaction times, leads to mistakes, and generally messes up targeting.

However, if I target no one, and wish to use sci or eng team on myself, it shouldn't randomly target someone else. And that's exactly what happens at times. If I target no one, or if I target myself, occasionally it'll throw an ability at a random person. And that's just silly. If I tell my engineering team to fix my ship, are they gonna randomly beam to some other ship cause my sensors are scrambled?

I've also had weapons act completely against their designed use as well. I recently fired a torpedo at a enemy in front of me, and the torpedo did the silliest thing: it flew off at a 110 degree angle to my left and hit an ally. It's not an exaggeration. My ally was slightly behind me to my left, completely out of my torpedoes' track. If the weapon won't work that way, why would scramble sensors do it?

I'm all for valid CC options, or scrambled ones, but it's been acting weird lately. What it should really do is cause a large loss in accuracy with weapons, if anything, not firing hundreds of degrees off target track. If already messes up IFF readings, it doesn't need to cause completely unforced ally shootings.

In the end, this isn't a nerf scramble sensors, it's me trying to get insight as to why it's changed, and if it's a bug or not. It never use to act this way.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-29-2010, 02:37 AM
I agree, scramble sensors should at least not affect its counter: science team
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-29-2010, 03:31 AM
Well i found out that weapons set on Autofire shoot other targerts (often allied) when sensors are scrampled. With Autofire turned of, the Problem is gone.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roter_Panda
I agree, scramble sensors should at least not affect its counter: science team
Single most annoying thing about this ability. I hit F1 then ST expecting to get rid of this irritating nuisance, and instead I shield-heal an NPC.