Lt. Commander
# 31
04-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChet
Not only is today Friday but it is also St. George's Day! Seriously.

So...happy St. George's Day everyone
Sadly unlike the other celebratory Saints days Celebrating St George's Day in England is frowned upon by small minded bigots as being racist.
But happy St. Georges Day to you too.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woebetide
Sadly unlike the other celebratory Saints days Celebrating St George's Day in England is frowned upon by small minded bigots as being racist.
I just don't like celebrating it out of respect for my Dragon friends.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woebetide
I see it as contrived as a majority of other holidays. Most mainstream celebration in the U.S. is ritual consumerism.

Some portions of our population have the same sentiment like you noted for Thanksgiving. As I previously mentioned, though, the day has been contrived since conception. And it's not as if anyone commemorates the colonists for what they did to the indigenous people. It seems more like an arbitrary day that would be set up as a reason to subsidize our farmers. The only thing about Thanksgiving that sucks for me: none of my friends can cook as well as my family. I've mimicked some recipes but I don't have the patience required to function in a kitchen. It really sucks. I've been having sub-par dinners since I turned 20.

Anyway, my views aren't completely pessimistic I promise. I support using holidays for family bonding and community purposes (a.k.a. - good excuse to go out with your friends and drink). Also, a few of the holidays give workers a vacation! /hi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
I just don't like celebrating it out of respect for my Dragon friends.
Hahaha! This is awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
*Dances into the thread.*

Better late than never!

*Steps on someones foot*

SORRY!
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
It's also payday! <happy dance, then realizes that most of this check goes to next month's rent...>