Lt. Commander
Ok. I saw in another thread the guess at what my name means. No, I'm not intending to start my birdies on fire. I know it was just a joke, but I started thinking... ( ) I thought to start a thread with people explaining the choices behind their formun names.

Well, the fire sprinklers have finally stopped and I can type again. So here goes...

My names has a very deep meaning for me.

The Obsidian is the simple part. My favorite color is black. Obsidian is just a really cool word for black. (Plus, black was taken at the time when I signed up) Thus the first part of the name.

The second one is much more complicated. It will be five years this coming August from when I lost my little angel named Crystal. She was 5 years old. She lived with her mother about 200 miles from me. The drives for visitaion were a pain, but well worth it.

Anyways. She was up near her mother's place, riding a bike with a friend. She hit a rock by the side of a road, lost control of her bike and went into a 6 foot deep stream. Unfortunaletly the bike caught her jeans and pulled her under.

She was buried on September 3rd, 2005.

After that I sunk into a huge depression, as any parent would do when they lose a child. After battling depression for almost a year, and lots of help from my wife, I "rose from the ashes" per se, and began a new life for the most part. That is where I took the other part of my name, Phoenix. That one event destroyed me and I was reborn after that.

So that is how my name came to be.

No flaming pet birdies...
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
I was teasing and trying to be original. I couldn't imagine you'd think of harming the feathery butts.

My forum/ @ name was an accident. I didn't pay attention when creating my account. I meant for it to be my sign in name. Ah well. I like platypusamusses.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Well started playing Elite Force what wasw it 10 years ago now or more

I used to make maps for the game and all and my friend who used to test them LivingdeadGurl.

I asked her if i could use her name in mine so I added Jedi.

This became my official mapping name all the way through to Jedi Academy and it stuck...

Once I had started mapping i couldn't change it or people wouldn't realize it was one of mine.

PS i just googled my name WOW lots of pages
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Old AD&D character name I have recycled many times. Others you may see if I ever roll an alt:
Valkymmyr (yes, after Val Kilmer, I was watching Willow when rolling up a toon once, and couldn't think of a name)
Hakkin (old toon from EQ, dwarf rogue. Used to be called Hakahairball before a GM name nazi changed it to Hakkin)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornithorhynchus
I was teasing and trying to be original. I couldn't imagine you'd think of harming the feathery butts.

My forum/ @ name was an accident. I didn't pay attention when creating my account. I meant for it to be my sign in name. Ah well. I like platypusamusses.
Yeah, that's why I poitned out I knew it was a joke.

Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Search functions a wonderful thing....
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woebetide
Search functions a wonderful thing....
You know we're lazy don't you? Search? Search? *sigh*
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I changed my forum and @name to this by sending in a billing ticket. It was originally raccoon_king, which I've used for various internet-related stuff since I played Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. The phrase "raccoonking" was a cheat code in that game to become an uber-Jedi (all Force powers, light and dark).

As for my current one, it's just a variation of my character name. My character's full name is Kiaran MacLeod, I also used that name as a character in Star Wars: Galaxies. I originally took the name MacLeod because of the movie and tv show "Highlander".
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-23-2010, 10:13 AM
A few years ago, i was participating in the Hellboy 2 ARG. We had an inordinatley smart crew over there and I wanted to sign in as Sherlock Holmes, but that was taken by someone who never posted. I am a huge Holmes fan as well a a great reader of pulp fiction. I went by Mycroft in that ARG and it stuck. It's even my facebook name. Since then, i am the real Mycroft Holmes on the net.
Boring and not very inspirational, but I think it lends a certain air about me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-23-2010, 10:16 AM
From the Black Nova Traders browser-based game, I went through several different names until I settled on "Captain Trip Hazzard". It had a nice ring to it, reminiscent of "Buzz Lightyear" et al., with the "zz" making it distinctive. Over time and multiple uses, it grew into "Tripp Hazzard" because I found that already taken less often.

Since I read forums through whatever "most recent posts" mechanic they have, you can also "tripp" over me in just about anywhere in the subforums.