Lt. Commander
# 1 Sequel Troubles
04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm looking over the forecast for summer and it's sequel, sequel sequel.
Most moviegoers go to sequels expecting that they will get the same thrill or rush of the original. I however go looking not to be exasperated by script problems.

I hate the idea of a sequel that negates the movie before it.
For example: Among it's many egregious issues, Alien was all about Ripley saving Newt from teh monsters and thereby feeling like a mommy again. Alien 3, however, promptly kills Newt and tries to tell a completely different story.
Can you name other infrations of your favorite sequels?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Well not really a sequal but the new Hulk movie was far better than Ang Lees version :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Spaceballs 2: The search for more money
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MycroftHolmes View Post
Can you name other infrations of your favorite sequels?
I don't know if AvP counts as a "sequel", but it totally r_ped (I'm sure that'll be edited) the Alien-mythos and didn't even use lube.

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was pretty bad, too. And I had hopes for it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoratusAlpha
I don't know if AvP counts as a "sequel", but it totally r_ped (I'm sure that'll be edited) the Alien-mythos and didn't even use lube.

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was pretty bad, too. And I had hopes for it.
aw cmon man. The predator gave her a spear and a shield, made from an ALIEN!! how awesome is that?

Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2010, 12:08 PM
well since it's a trek forum i'll throw star trek 3 out there. For me it completely invalidated the emotion of spocks death in WoK. The whole situation reminded me of comic books where villains and heroes always manage to return from the dead.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Sequels... Not as bad as remakes! Make a original movie already Hollywood!
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
well since it's a trek forum i'll throw star trek 3 out there. For me it completely invalidated the emotion of spocks death in WoK. The whole situation reminded me of comic books where villains and heroes always manage to return from the dead.
Didn't they blame the fans for that one? Saying that they basically made that movie to appease all the people who were bent out of shape at Spocks being killed off?
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) rocked, very psychological.
All other TCMs after as sequels ('86, '90, '94) suck monkey nuts. They were more corny than scary.

While I wouldn't put the remakes (2003, 2006) on par with the the original film, I did enjoy them just because they weren't freaking stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Nagus Gooark
Didn't they blame the fans for that one? Saying that they basically made that movie to appease all the people who were bent out of shape at Spocks being killed off?
I don't know, but if they did it was a massive copout on their part.

oh actually i've got a good one, planet of the apes sequals! It went from "humanity destroyed itself." to "monkeys killed our cats and dogs and then us!". Those Damned Dirty Apes!