Lt. Commander
# 21
04-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaSamurai
Have you read the graphic novel? I am personally of the opinion that if they had used the real ending from the novel it would have TANKED. One of the few times a movie has altered the original story and I've been ok with it is Watchmen.
It's more the utter misinterpretation of the violence, instead of realistic they made it massively over the top, the changes in dialogue that were so jaring that i kept being pulled out of any immersion i might of had.

I stand by my original assessment. ****ing horrible and ruined by translation in to the film medium.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Dune. Dune. A thousand times, Dune.

I am a huge fan of Dune, and am filled with terror every time someone proposes to turn it into a movie. The Lynch movie was visually great, but truncated the complexity of the book to make a more straightforward "Hero Comes of Age" story. The SyFy movies claimed to be more "faithful", but were visually atrocious, horribly acted, and still attempted to "fix" the story. A hint to future directors: at no point during Dune should you wish to club Paul Atreides to death with a stick; "whiny brat" to "hero" is not his intended character arc.

I'm just going to come out and say it: Dune is unfilmable. The magic of Dune is in its complexity, which is anathema to Hollywood. But I used to say the same thing about Lord of the Rings, so I'm entirely prepared to be proven wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Starship Troopers
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-24-2010, 06:58 AM
I have yet to see a book that made a good movie. Usually, they have to cut so much out that they might as well say 'this movie only vaguely resembles the book you loved to read!'
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Battlefield Earth

...actually, the book sucked too
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
I have yet to see a book that made a good movie. Usually, they have to cut so much out that they might as well say 'this movie only vaguely resembles the book you loved to read!'
Read The Ciderhouse Rules and then watch the movie. Very good adaption in my opinion. Especially compared to Garp, the BAD John Irving movie.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneBase
Read The Ciderhouse Rules and then watch the movie. Very good adaption in my opinion. Especially compared to Garp, the BAD John Irving movie.
I never made it through Garp the book. I'm not sure I could make it through Ciderhouse Rules.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Is Playboy considered a book?
I am interested in the movie version.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Jason Bourne in "Bourne Identity", "Bourne Supremacy", "Bourne Ultimatum".

Great movies..nice and action packed..Matt Damon did a good job in those..but the plot and script don't even come close to the actual books.

In the first movie, he kills off Alex, and in the books, Alex is with him as a friend until the very end. Well..doesn't start out as a friend but ends up being one until the very end.

Mo Panov..where the hell was he? And his wife gets killed in the second movie. Again, no..she was with him until the very end.

For reference I'm referring to the novels by Robert Ludlum, who originally created the Bourne character. While I have read the new ones by Eric Lustbader..I'm not real thrilled with thim..he just can not capture the essence of the Bourne character like Ludlum could.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Agreed with Watchmen.

Adding Beowulf and V for Vendetta to the discussion.