Lt. Commander
# 11
04-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
I grew up in time to catch most of Next-Gen and on, and in all honesty kinda dislike Roddenberry's work in ToS, a lot of it seemed, and I am just going to out and say it, dumb. Theme planets, always getting stuck on some planet or another before Kirk either Macguyver'd his way out or killed the beasty of the day and then went home and spent q-time with the green colored lady of the day.
I wanted to address this point- and only this point since DS9 is my favorite series to be honest- Roddenberry had several problems with Star Trek at the beginning, not least of which was having a studio breathing down his neck all the time about how the show should be. Their vision was centered on Kirk and on lighter fair than what Roddenberry wanted. DS9 was a lot closer to what Roddenberry had hoped that Star Trek could have been from the beginning. I've read a lot about how what Roddenberry wanted was a darker future with people who were trying to do good but flawed. Instead, what he got shoe horned into was a version of Flash Gordon.

There is a reason why Superman is faltering at this point but Batman is flourishing. I know, odd comparison. Superman is too good and pure while Batman is flawed. People love flawed. The new Star Trek movie is giving us a lot darker vision and is probably closer to what Roddenberry wanted.

Berman did a good job. He kept it running and alive. He ran into many of the same problems Roddenberry did back in the TOS days. He made mistakes too.

He is, after all, human.

Just for the record, Roddenberry was also not always a nice guy.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Rick Berman wasn't all that bad.... but if I ever met Brannon Braga in a dark alley....

^_^
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
Rick Berman wasn't all that bad.... but if I ever met Brannon Braga in a dark alley....

^_^
Hi Lil...I thought you had disappeared.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I've always felt a little weird because I liked all of the Star Treks, even Voyager and Enterprise (actually I loved Enterprise!) So I never got the "hate" for Berman.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-26-2010, 10:46 PM
{tag} this is fun....specially when no one is posting LOL
((sorry I will quit anytime you want me too LOL))
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
Hi Lil...I thought you had disappeared.
I am eternal...

^_^
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-26-2010, 10:52 PM
She is everyplace....like the sky even LOL
If you say her name thrice sometimes she can be summoned. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
DS9 was a lot closer to what Roddenberry had hoped that Star Trek could have been from the beginning.
Hmmm, I had not heard that (though I'd like to believe it). It was probably drowned out by all the nerd-ragers burning Ira Behr in effigy for "corrupting Roddenberry's vision of a brighter tomorrow" (an actual charge I have heard/read levied at Behr). The only time I had a problem with Behr was when he dyed his goatee blue and wouldn't stop wearing fingerless leather gloves in interviews :p.

Quote:
I've read a lot about how what Roddenberry wanted was a darker future with people who were trying to do good but flawed.
Sounds a lot like he wanted ST to be like "Andromeda" (another Roddenberry project that did not get made until after his death).

Quote:
Just for the record, Roddenberry was also not always a nice guy.
As the creator of a beloved sci-fi franchise, he kinda got canonized ("Great Bird of the Galaxy") by the most rabid fanbase. Selective blindness is a common malady among fans. I've heard his wife Majel was a genuinely lovely and kind person though.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.O.P.H.E.T.
Hmmm, I had not heard that (though I'd like to believe it). It was probably drowned out by all the nerd-ragers burning Ira Behr in effigy for "corrupting Roddenberry's vision of a brighter tomorrow" (an actual charge I have heard/read levied at Behr). The only time I had a problem with Behr was when he dyed his goatee blue and wouldn't stop wearing fingerless leather gloves in interviews :p.

Sounds a lot like he wanted ST to be like "Andromeda" (another Roddenberry project that did not get made until after his death).

As the creator of a beloved sci-fi franchise, he kinda got canonized ("Great Bird of the Galaxy") by the most rabid fanbase. Selective blindness is a common malady among fans. I've heard his wife Majel was a genuinely lovely and kind person though.
Well, at one point Roddenberry was 'dating' both Nichelle Nichols and Majel Barret. He could be erassible, difficult, and even impossible, but then again, aren't we all?

But, yes, a lot of what Roddenberry wanted with Star Trek was a lot closer to Andromeda than what he got to do with TOS. It's in a lot of the older information. I'm second generation, so I got to inherit a lot of books from my mother.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
I am eternal...

^_^
Well, you haven't been posting a lot lately...so I had to wonder.