Lt. Commander
# 21
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
From the perspective of someone who teaches children:
Gene Roddenberry gave us the idea of Star trek. A Wagon Train to the Stars as it were. He nursemaid-ed it through it's formative first season, even helped it through it's awkward second year to some of the most memorable episodes. But in the third year, he faltered. He left the show to go make money with Lincoln Enterprises and left the show to people who only wanted to tell a Sci-Fi pew pew and weird monster stories.
When he got a second chance with Phase Two, he hopped back in, but what he gave us was a re-hash of what we had already seen. Please don't forget that Gene gave us STMP! Look, he was a visionary, but like all great thinlers, his perspective was limited. He was smart enough to get someone who shared his vision in Rick Berman and for a while, helped the franchise back to relevancy. But as has been pointed out here, the first few seasons of TNG were really rough. A lot of re-used ideas. It was really when Berman got out from under Gene that the series took off.
By the time we get to Enterprise, though, I think Berman was suffering from the same problems that Gene had. They had already done it all. They knew it so they tried to do different things and make the ship different and all, but they kept the same people writing and directing. I mean, read the credits of Season 1-2-3 of ENT and you will see the cast of the other shows. Once again, it was fresh eyes that saved Star Trek, even though it was cancelled, I think any fond memories we have of ENT are really based in the good stuff they did at the end.
As for Nemesis. My complaint is not with Berman creativley here, but honestly with the soundtrack choice. Go back and watch the dune buggy chase and you will hear the worst chase music ever being played. Despite it being a great and fun scene, the music is overbearing and ponderous.
Berman deserves great credit for keeping Star Trek relevant and knowing when it was time to leave.
'nuff said
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
Well, at one point Roddenberry was 'dating' both Nichelle Nichols and Majel Barret.
LOL, I almost mentioned that in my post!

I read a story that Roddenberry came home one day and found Nichelle and Majel both in the living room visiting (ahem, comparing notes most likely). Supposedly, he looked like he was about to have a stroke, but Majel let him off the hook since she liked Nichelle so much. It might be malarkey, but I think that is a great story!
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-27-2010, 05:09 PM
At night, Berman creeps out of his house to feast of the blood of the innocent. So yes, he is a monster and it is just a matter of time before a pitchfork and torch wielding mob storms his Hollywood villa and does something mean to him.