Lt. Commander
Hello guys, firstly let e say you have made a fine game, but sadly it has no longevity or feeling of persistence. You are creating and adding raids for end game but that isn't where the problem lies, these raids are good but they aren't enough to keep gamers logging on repeatedly, you need to add permanent features, alternate game-play not just additional raids and missions. The following, for me at least, would create a reason for players to log on more

Open World PvP but with restrictions:

I'd have the whole sector map open for World PvP with the exception of key home-base areas such as Sol and Qu'nos etc (these would be restricted areas only open to the home faction), I would give every player the option to be either "Covert" or "Overt". By default everyone would be "Covert" and this would mean that players are free to travel sector space without risk of being attacked by overt members of an opposing faction (Klingons atm and Romulans etc in the future), If however you wished to partake in open world PvP you would enable the option to be "Overt" this would then make you open to PvP after a 1 minute delay (the delay would also be applied upon changing from overt to covert, this is to avoid people abusing the system, other measures such as only being able to change this setting whilst in sector space could be applied). Overt Players would appear on the sector map as a different colour from covert players to indicate their status.

If, whilst travelling through sector space you fly near a overt enemy player you would both be thrown into a Deep Space Encounter like instance where you can fight it out, if you are grouped and your team members are nearby (within a VERY limited range of your ship whilst in Sector Space) they too will enter the encounter with you, this would make flying in packs for safety an option and allow for people wanting to do patrols looking for good old group pvp. (NPC supplied PvP Patrol Quests can be given for these encounters too). Upon the completion of a PvP Encounter both sides are put back into Sector Space, but the losing party is made Covert again and as before is unable to be challenged or able to initiate a PvP encounter until the 1 minute period is complete and they are able to switch back to overt, this is to stop repeated grieving.

Persistent areas that border faction space could be made so that entering them would automatically change you to overt, these "hot zones" can be made conqueror-able by reaching a designated area within the hot zone, reaching this area would launch a instanced PvP battle much like the capture and hold pvp maps. These unique static capture and hold pvp battle instances would have the same queuing system that standard PvP maps have. When 10 or more people of both factions are queued the battle would launch. If the same faction wins 5 of these battles in a row the hot zone is then conquered and all players in that faction (even if they have not taken part in the battle) would receive a buff, this buff would persist until an opposing faction takes the hot zone and steals the buff for their faction. (The buff could be a slight XP boost or a slight increase to the energy credits, merit or honor that is received when handing in quests.

A Death Penalty with a Difference:

I wouldnt have a Penalty as such, i dont think there is need for one, what i would have though, is an incentive for staying alive during the mission. If you die during the mission then you receive the rewards upon its completion as you do now, however, if you stay alive throughout the mission then you would receive a bonus items at the end, or even just more xp, credits etc that you would normally. This way people who dont want a DP have their way and people who want one now have an incentive not to die during the mission.

This could be expanded upon further by giving you a further bonus if not of your away team die during the mission too, this would further increase the incentive to do the mission to the best of your ability but most importantly it would foster more of an attachment to your away team as you would care more if they came under heavy fire. This would also help resolve the dodgy tactic of sending in your away team to die whilst you happily scan/interact with the mission objectives un-molested.

This could be further expanded to include "Survival Accolades" could be introduced, both for yourself and for your away team. Completing 5 missions that involve combat without dying would give you your First Accolade, another is gained at 10, 15, 20, 25 and so on. Getting to certain levels maybe 50 would reward you with a title or maybe a cosmetic item such as a medal). When we get repeatable missions this will give people a reason to go back and redo older missions in order to try and do it without dying to further their accolade progression.Keeping your away team alive during combat missions would give you another set of accolades for leadership.

Thanks and sorry for the epic post
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2010, 10:54 AM
You make some interesting and vaild points. However, I have to disagree on the open pvp. I think there should be sectors made for pvp, and it seems like that might happen in the future. Yet, I don't agree with all of sector space being open PVP, even with the homeworlds being off limits.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I have repeated often that I don't PvP. Don't like it, don't need it. But I do understand it and I understand the need for it. In fact for a game like STO with no content for capped players it would be incredibly naive to think the game could persist without it. The Company can not create playable content faster than the player base can get bored of it and ultimately leave.

But open PvP is a bad idea. You just can't work it into a game without alienating a lot of casual players ( and in DTO I think there are far more that prefer a casual play style to hardcore battling for epeen )

A persistent ( or many, level dependent ) PvP area is a no-brainer. It's a developer's dream. A one time development cost that keeps players subscribed indefinitely. If the players have something to do with sufficient and attainable rewards for doing it then they will keep coming back.

Battlegrounds with capturable objectives to give personal rewards and perhaps faction wide global buffs during the victory / captured period would make a big difference. There could be a whole system with equal objectives for both sides. Areas of space to be secured with planets to be captured by groups of captains on foot. The possibilities are endless and to be honest it's nothing that has not been done before in any other mmo. It's what keeps the people who crave that kind of validation coming back for more.

Cryptic need to learn that adding a few hours of game play every couple of months will not keep players subscribed. In fact it insults them. If you are left with just the lifers and long term subscribers playing then the revenue at that point has already dried up unless you can sell them a few new wigs for their toons.
No revenue equals no development.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Npt everyone wants to play PvP
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
Hello guys, firstly let e say you have made a fine game, but sadly it has no longevity or feeling of persistence. You are creating and adding raids for end game but that isn't where the problem lies, these raids are good but they aren't enough to keep gamers logging on repeatedly, you need to add permanent features, alternate game-play not just additional raids and missions. The following, for me at least, would create a reason for players to log on more

Open World PvP but with restrictions:

I'd have the whole sector map open for World PvP with the exception of key home-base areas such as Sol and Qu'nos etc (these would be restricted areas only open to the home faction), I would give every player the option to be either "Covert" or "Overt". By default everyone would be "Covert" and this would mean that players are free to travel sector space without risk of being attacked by overt members of an opposing faction (Klingons atm and Romulans etc in the future), If however you wished to partake in open world PvP you would enable the option to be "Overt" this would then make you open to PvP after a 1 minute delay (the delay would also be applied upon changing from overt to covert, this is to avoid people abusing the system, other measures such as only being able to change this setting whilst in sector space could be applied). Overt Players would appear on the sector map as a different colour from covert players to indicate their status.

If, whilst travelling through sector space you fly near a overt enemy player you would both be thrown into a Deep Space Encounter like instance where you can fight it out, if you are grouped and your team members are nearby (within a VERY limited range of your ship whilst in Sector Space) they too will enter the encounter with you, this would make flying in packs for safety an option and allow for people wanting to do patrols looking for good old group pvp. (NPC supplied PvP Patrol Quests can be given for these encounters too). Upon the completion of a PvP Encounter both sides are put back into Sector Space, but the losing party is made Covert again and as before is unable to be challenged or able to initiate a PvP encounter until the 1 minute period is complete and they are able to switch back to overt, this is to stop repeated grieving.

Persistent areas that border faction space could be made so that entering them would automatically change you to overt, these "hot zones" can be made conqueror-able by reaching a designated area within the hot zone, reaching this area would launch a instanced PvP battle much like the capture and hold pvp maps. These unique static capture and hold pvp battle instances would have the same queuing system that standard PvP maps have. When 10 or more people of both factions are queued the battle would launch. If the same faction wins 5 of these battles in a row the hot zone is then conquered and all players in that faction (even if they have not taken part in the battle) would receive a buff, this buff would persist until an opposing faction takes the hot zone and steals the buff for their faction. (The buff could be a slight XP boost or a slight increase to the energy credits, merit or honor that is received when handing in quests.

I wouldnt have a Penalty as such, i dont think there is need for one, what i would have though, is an incentive for staying alive during the mission. If you die during the mission then you receive the rewards upon its completion as you do now, however, if you stay alive throughout the mission then you would receive a bonus items at the end, or even just more xp, credits etc that you would normally. This way people who dont want a DP have their way and people who want one now have an incentive not to die during the mission.

This could be expanded upon further by giving you a further bonus if not of your away team die during the mission too, this would further increase the incentive to do the mission to the best of your ability but most importantly it would foster more of an attachment to your away team as you would care more if they came under heavy fire. This would also help resolve the dodgy tactic of sending in your away team to die whilst you happily scan/interact with the mission objectives un-molested.

This could be further expanded to include "Survival Accolades" could be introduced, both for yourself and for your away team. Completing 5 missions that involve combat without dying would give you your First Accolade, another is gained at 10, 15, 20, 25 and so on. Getting to certain levels maybe 50 would reward you with a title or maybe a cosmetic item such as a medal). When we get repeatable missions this will give people a reason to go back and redo older missions in order to try and do it without dying to further their accolade progression.Keeping your away team alive during combat missions would give you another set of accolades for leadership.

Thanks and sorry for the epic post
So, you are basically asking Cryptic to make STO into pre-cu SWG? Bit hard to be a covert in a Federation Starship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
Npt everyone wants to play PvP
Exactly, with the system i suggest you would never have to do any PvP if you dont want too, you would leave yourself on Overt and never have to worry about being pulled into a PvP match whilst in Sector Space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
So, you are basically asking Cryptic to make STO into pre-cu SWG? Bit hard to be a covert in a Federation Starship.
Yeah a similar pvp system to that launched in SWG. As for being covert in a Federation Starship its simple, you would not be a valid target and therefore not be of interest to those who are overt, hell you could even make it so if you clicked overt you where put on a different instance only populated by overt players.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2010, 12:21 PM
The developers have already said that PvP in STO will always be consentual.

This means no pulling people into PvP instances without warning or their agreement.

Ever.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Almost every single week I see someone complaining about having to watch for DSEs that sneak up on you, and about how much they wish Cryptic would take those out of the game. If people are complaining about avoiding 3-8 DSE ships per sector how do you think they'd feel about dozens, if not hundreds, of PvP ships they'd need to avoid just to go from A to B? Just trying to get out of Sol would be like running a gauntlet full of PvP campers. I'll leave that for Eve.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854

That ship has already left spacedock. I think you're going to have to deal with the DP the devs have already spent a ton of time (and money) on developing. And just go from there.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-24-2010, 12:53 PM
In the current SWG system you can flag yourself PvP in any zone or area making yourself a target for any other flagged PvPer. Non flagged players can sit and watch PvP battles all day long without fear of being engaged.

Every planet has a factional alignment as well as each territory on the planet that can be captured individually by spending time and activities in those areas (as with the new update, this also applies to space sectors). It's actually a very nice system that allows PvPers and non PvPers to operating in the same area without fear getting in each others way.

Also, capturing and turning systems within a sector for flagged PvP players would be a nice touch.

This type of open PvP doesn't affect non PvP players in the least.

Also, I'd love to see a Distress Signal added to the game that would send a general message to other players in your sector Block requesting assistance and maybe even a way to warp to the sector in question. Kind of like the Fleet Action messages but from players.