Lt. Commander
# 11
04-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
The developers have already said that PvP in STO will always be consentual.

This means no pulling people into PvP instances without warning or their agreement.

Ever.
Which if you read my post is exactly what the system im suggesting allows for!
Please re-read my original post and then come back and try to make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Almost every single week I see someone complaining about having to watch for DSEs that sneak up on you, and about how much they wish Cryptic would take those out of the game. If people are complaining about avoiding 3-8 DSE ships per sector how do you think they'd feel about dozens, if not hundreds, of PvP ships they'd need to avoid just to go from A to B? Just trying to get out of Sol would be like running a gauntlet full of PvP campers. I'll leave that for Eve.
If you read my original post carefully you will see that it wouldnt be a problem as they can turn world PvP off by going covert.

Anyone else want to comment on the post without actually reading it?
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
If you read my original post carefully you will see that it wouldnt be a problem as they can turn world PvP off by going covert.

Anyone else want to comment on the post without actually reading it?
I did read it. I was commenting on the general idea of OW PvP. I subscribe to 7 MMOs and I'm quite familiar with the "flagged" concept. I find it just as annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-24-2010, 04:47 PM
It was said on a STOked show that the dev's are looking for input on a new persistant open PvP zone system for a future update. So you should re-think you PvP suggestion to fit a PvP zone type of system.

As far as the DP, it will be here shortly. It will be an injury system, not a real DP. They want to use this injury system along with the new ship interiors for season 2. We will have mini games and other ways on our ships to repair or treat our injuries.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
Which if you read my post is exactly what the system im suggesting allows for!
Please re-read my original post and then come back and try to make sense.
Ok, how about this one then: Sneaking around covertly while in the core sectors of Federation space makes no sense. For this reason, among others, I am completely against open world PvP in any way, shape or form.

One or more open PvP sectors or sector blocks sure, but the entire STO world? Absolutely not.

Sensible PvP sectors that affect gameplay by allowing players access to better items/things/or even missions based on which systems their side holds is a great idea. The major problem with PvP in this game (and the one that I believe you're trying to address with your post) is that right now PvP is simply a bunch of senseless arenas.

I applaud your attempt to address this issue, but I (like many other people) am simply completely against open world PvP in any way, shape or form.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-25-2010, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Ok, how about this one then: Sneaking around covertly while in the core sectors of Federation space makes no sense. For this reason, among others, I am completely against open world PvP in any way, shape or form.

One or more open PvP sectors or sector blocks sure, but the entire STO world? Absolutely not.

Sensible PvP sectors that affect gameplay by allowing players access to better items/things/or even missions based on which systems their side holds is a great idea. The major problem with PvP in this game (and the one that I believe you're trying to address with your post) is that right now PvP is simply a bunch of senseless arenas.

I applaud your attempt to address this issue, but I (like many other people) am simply completely against open world PvP in any way, shape or form.
How does this type of open PvP system affect the non-PvP players game?

You fly around sector space avoiding anomalies and Enemy Signals all day, in every sector, in Fed space. Lets not forget fleet actions.

PvP and non-PvP players wouldn't be able to engage each other. If you chose not to go PvP then what's the worry? If you chose to go PvP then your looking for an encounter. It's simply a way for PvP players to play the game and engage in that type of play anywhere without the need for a Q.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-25-2010, 03:23 AM
As a PVP fan, I still must say that open world PVP in a casual game like this wouldn't fly, even with the covert/overt flagging system or anything like it. Though we love PVP, not everyone does, and this is the sort of thing that would hurt the game's subscription numbers more than anything.

What we PVP fans need to do is concentrate on pushing for things like the aforementioned persistent PVP sectors. Perhaps it could have an effect on PVE, like giving the winner's faction a buff of some sort or extra PVE rewards, but it shouldn't be necessary for anyone who doesn't want to do it. That way we could have our ultra-competitive sandbox to play in, the PVEers would be aware of it and its value (and possibly be convinced to give it a go on their own terms), but no one is forced to fight or flag or anything like that which might lead to disgruntled feelings about PVPers trying to shape the game solely around their play style.

As for the mission incentives outlined, replacing the idea of a penalty with an incentive is a stroke of genius. If I knew that I was guaranteed to get some sweet gear at the end of a PVE mission for giving it my all and overcoming an actual challenge, I'd actually bother doing PVE missions again. I hope the difficulty slider idea they're working on implements something similar.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-25-2010, 03:27 AM
Quote:

In my orginal post i suggested that core areas such as Sol and Qo'nos would be off limits, this could be expanded slightly BUT as the game stands now we have these enemy contacts flying around core sectors of the Federation, plus remember that any faction other than the federation will be vastly outnumbered, flying into Federation space will be risky, attempting to gain access to the core sectors would be close to suicide. This system that i propose polices its self.

And yes i understand that you are opposed to World PvP, and would not wish to partake if what im suggesting is introduced (which I highly doubt if im honest) which is why you could leave yourself as covert, which is essentially a World PvP off button, this would then as Global Taxi says leave your game unaffected by World PvP apart from the static Hot Spot areas mentioned in my OP.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIRockin
As a PVP fan, I still must say that open world PVP in a casual game like this wouldn't fly, even with the covert/overt flagging system or anything like it. Though we love PVP, not everyone does, and this is the sort of thing that would hurt the game's subscription numbers more than anything..
I dont see how it would hurt none pvpers as they could just switch world PvP off and remain covert, they would lose nothing
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
There should be sectors solely dedicated to PVP but not all of space.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I like the concept.

I love the "cat & mouse" feel I think it could provide to the game as I (along with others) travel sectors of space I haven't been in since launch to try to "seek out" and destroy enemy players.

Given the games general design, there's little besides zone only PvP or something like this that could be implemented to expand PvP beyond the ques. Because of the engines design limitations, an idea like this NEEDS to be entertained by the Devs (IMO). It's a great suggestion as ONLY those willing to do it would be enabled for it. Anyone not wanting to risk getting pulled into a random PvP encounter would simply not flag themselves as "covert".

Good job OP! I hope a Dev reads your suggestion.