Lt. Commander
# 21
04-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
"A valid question, Jarus," Alex replied. "I was the first Captain to respond to the Repercussion's initial Distress Call, and helped hold off the Klingons while other ships evacuated the Repercussion. After we'd fallen back to Starbase 234, it was my Chief Medical Officer who performed Miss Leffeld's Autopsy, which discovered that she was killed by a Klingon d'k'tagh instead of debris. All the evidence seemed to point to the Klingons assassinating her--in fact, it pointed in that direction a little too much for my tastes. I personally think that the Klingons weren't behind Miss Leffeld's death, but that someone wanted us to think that they were."
Yamato's response had shocked Josh. Perhaps he should read the case report a little closer.

"I had no idea that there was any doubt about the Klingons being responsible. If what you are suggesting is true, it could mean that someone actually wants to escalate the conflict between the Federation and the Klingons, someone besides the Klingons that is. Don't take this the wrong way Captain Yamato, but I'm having a little trouble believing that the evidence could be too strong. Would you mind explaining exactly what it is that you mean? I would also like to read over the official report on the incident while we talk, if you don't mind."
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince081 View Post
Yamato's response had shocked Josh. Perhaps he should read the case report a little closer.

"I had no idea that there was any doubt about the Klingons being responsible. If what you are suggesting is true, it could mean that someone actually wants to escalate the conflict between the Federation and the Klingons, someone besides the Klingons that is. Don't take this the wrong way Captain Yamato, but I'm having a little trouble believing that the evidence could be too strong. Would you mind explaining exactly what it is that you mean? I would also like to read over the official report on the incident while we talk, if you don't mind."
Alex keyed up the appropriate information and sent it to Vincent's PADD as he replied, "To be honest, and this is really my personal opinion, it just seems like all the evidence is put together, like someone wanted us to find it. However, there are a few inconsistencies which you can find if you look hard enough, such as how the only transporter activity during the incident happens after the evacuation ships arrive--and how none of that activity was to or from any Klingon Ships. And since the evacuation was carried out entirely by Transporter, there was no way the assassin could escape by some other means. Also, there were no Klingons or Orions on the Repercussion's Passenger Manifest, and none were rescued from the ship, either. All these inconsistencies are fairly minor by themselves--and easy to miss if you don't look close enough--but if you see them and add them together, it throws suspicion on whether the Klingons really did it. Of course, I doubt that Councilman Christopher Leffeld, Ameena's father, is currently capable of looking that close--his only daughter is dead, and he wants blood. Now, if someone wanted to escalate the Federation/Klingon War, how would they do it?"

"That's fairly easy," Tieria replied. "You pick an individual with enough influence to call for such an escalation--like Councilman Leffeld--and hurt them emotionally in such a way that they lose the ability for rational thought, and possess nothing but anger, and you provide evidence that directs that anger toward the Klingons. But Alex, even though I believe you, you know it's still just a theory."

"I know, Tieria," Alex replied with irritation coloring his voice, "and I appreciate the fact that both you and your superiors believe me. But unless someone finds incontrovertible proof that someone other than the Klingons assassinated Miss Leffeld, there's no way that I can convince the Federation Council."
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
"I know, Tieria," Alex replied with irritation coloring his voice, "and I appreciate the fact that both you and your superiors believe me. But unless someone finds incontrovertible proof that someone other than the Klingons assassinated Miss Leffeld, there's no way that I can convince the Federation Council."
Joshua looked over his PADD for a few minutes while Yamato and Tieria spoke and he was surprised by the information that he saw. Captain Yamato was completely correct, there were several discrepancies in the evidence.

"You've won me over Captain. After hearing your interpretation of the situation and reading the full report I completely agree that it seems as if something is a little off about the evidence. You've also got me interested; I assume we're here to assist in a more thorough investigation so what's the next step?"
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Joshua looked over his PADD for a few minutes while Yamato and Tieria spoke and he was surprised by the information that he saw. Captain Yamato was completely correct, there were several discrepancies in the evidence.

"You've won me over Captain. After hearing your interpretation of the situation and reading the full report I completely agree that it seems as if something is a little off about the evidence. You've also got me interested; I assume we're here to assist in a more thorough investigation so what's the next step?"
"I can answer that," Tieria replied. "After Alex came up with his theory, he asked me to investigate, seeing as how he needed to return to the front lines. Over the past month, I've been looking into the issue of who could have been behind the Repercussion Incident. My investigation took me all over the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, often travelling in Nadleeh, my personal craft. Two days ago, I detected unknown power signatures coming from the Arcus System, near the Romulan/Klingon Border Point of the Triangle. I would have investigated more closely, but Nadleeh is only a Type-11 Shuttlecraft--it has been modified for independent action, but it still isn't that powerful or durable. That is why I came here and requested your assistance--Starbase 234 is the closest Federation Outpost to the Arcus System."

"The Arcus System, huh?" Alex asked. "That means we'll be going in even more blind than usual--from what I know, the system's uncharted."
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-28-2010, 05:09 AM
Jarus watched the exchanges between the two captains and Tieria with interest. He had remainined quiet, but was filing everything he was hearing away. As he had said, he didn't think it was the Klingons, and Yamato revealing that he too thought it was a setup just further indicated that at least a handful of Starfleet officers felt something was amiss.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
"I can answer that," Tieria replied. "After Alex came up with his theory, he asked me to investigate, seeing as how he needed to return to the front lines. Over the past month, I've been looking into the issue of who could have been behind the Repercussion Incident. My investigation took me all over the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, often travelling in Nadleeh, my personal craft. Two days ago, I detected unknown power signatures coming from the Arcus System, near the Romulan/Klingon Border Point of the Triangle. I would have investigated more closely, but Nadleeh is only a Type-11 Shuttlecraft--it has been modified for independent action, but it still isn't that powerful or durable. That is why I came here and requested your assistance--Starbase 234 is the closest Federation Outpost to the Arcus System."

"The Arcus System, huh?" Alex asked. "That means we'll be going in even more blind than usual--from what I know, the system's uncharted."
"Commander," Jarus spoke up. "There could be any number of unknown power signatures coming out of an uncharted system. Unless you have additional knowledge indicating there is a legitimate reason for us being so close to our enemies' borders, this would appear to be a very aggressive move on our part. With Concilman Leffeld publicly calling for the Klingons' collective heads over this, it could get vicious. I have to deduce that you have a particular interest in the type of power signature that you picked up, and how that signature plays into your own theory as to what happened on the Repercussion."
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCaedus
"Commander," Jarus spoke up. "There could be any number of unknown power signatures coming out of an uncharted system. Unless you have additional knowledge indicating there is a legitimate reason for us being so close to our enemies' borders, this would appear to be a very aggressive move on our part. With Concilman Leffeld publicly calling for the Klingons' collective heads over this, it could get vicious. I have to deduce that you have a particular interest in the type of power signature that you picked up, and how that signature plays into your own theory as to what happened on the Repercussion."
"Indeed," Tieria replied. "When I detected those power signatures, I sent in a probe, hoping to get some kind of information as to what these power signatures could be. When my probe reached the fourth planet in the system, it detected traces of both Chroniton Radiation and Tachyon Particles--furthermore, those traces were mixed, as if they came from the same source."

"Okay," Alex said, worry showing through in his voice. "This has officially taken a turn for the wierd. Chroniton Radiation is often associated with time travel, and Tachyon Particles are associated with Transwarp Conduits. What would happen if someone combined them?"

"It is my personal theory," Tieria replied, "that combining Tachyon Particles and Chroniton Radiation would allow intentional travel between timelines--which means it's highly likely the Repercussion Incident was caused by someone from a different timeline."

"Great," Alex said, "that means we probably have someone from another timeline who wants to conquer this one. This just keeps getting wierder. Any other clues, Tieria?"

"Only one," Tieria replied, beginning to work his PADD. "The probe was destroyed by weapons fire only two minutes after it arrived at Arcus Four, which is what caused me to withdraw. Luckily, it managed to get a visual of its attacker, and I must say that this image is quite surprising." He finished his work, and an image appeared on the Briefing Room Monitor. "Take a look," Tieria said, directing everyone's attention to the monitor.

The vessel that appeared in the image was colored dark grey, almost black. A registration number and name were on the front of the hull, although the only readable part was an SMV at the start of the Registration Number. However, that was not the shocking part about the unknown.

What caused surprise among the assembled was that the shape of the vessel was instantly recognizable--it was an NX-Class, the same class as some of Starfleet's first ships!!!
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Despite his best efforts, Jarus' eyes widened at the site of the ship in the image. Of course the quality wasnt perfect, but the saucer module and nacelles fitting the original NX design were clearly visible. But that style of ship hadn't been in service for over a hundred years. Time travel, as much as he hated the prospect of it, seemed to be the only plausible explination for it.

"Well this certainly makes entering the Arcus system an endeavor that has to be taken," he said, finding his voice first. "So we have a combination of chroniton and tachyon readings that are combined and an original NX vessel sitting right at the border of two enemies," he smiled at Orr, "Sounds like fun."

He turned to Tieria serious again, "Let's assume that the Klingons didn't kill Leffeld, but someone or a group wanted us to believe they did. Now I see that image and I wonder if the same person or group isn't planning a similar attack on a Klingon ship using that vessel in order to have the Klingon High Council further push against us."
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCaedus
Despite his best efforts, Jarus' eyes widened at the site of the ship in the image. Of course the quality wasnt perfect, but the saucer module and nacelles fitting the original NX design were clearly visible. But that style of ship hadn't been in service for over a hundred years. Time travel, as much as he hated the prospect of it, seemed to be the only plausible explination for it.

"Well this certainly makes entering the Arcus system an endeavor that has to be taken," he said, finding his voice first. "So we have a combination of chroniton and tachyon readings that are combined and an original NX vessel sitting right at the border of two enemies," he smiled at Orr, "Sounds like fun."

He turned to Tieria serious again, "Let's assume that the Klingons didn't kill Leffeld, but someone or a group wanted us to believe they did. Now I see that image and I wonder if the same person or group isn't planning a similar attack on a Klingon ship using that vessel in order to have the Klingon High Council further push against us."
"It's possible," Tieria replied. "Of course, there are other possibilities."

"True," Alex said. He then pointed out the SMV Designation as he continued, "And look at the designation. I've only seen that SMV Designation once before, and that was two weeks ago."

Tieria realized what Alex meant. "The unknown ship that destroyed the Tempest--it also had that SMV Designation, didn't it?"

Alex nodded. "It did--which means I now have a clue as to who to hunt down if I want some payback. Out of curiosity, Tieria, did your probe get any further data on that NX-Class before it was destroyed?"

"It did," Tieria replied, "and three things in the data stand out. First, it had shields--basic shields without much power, but shields nonetheless. Second, the weapons seemed to be much more advanced than what the NX-01 had--my estimates based on the data say that the weapons would be around early- to mid-23rd Century level. Third, there appeared to be residual traces of both Chroniton Radiation and Tachyon Particles all over the hull."

"Which would match your theory about traveling between timelines, Alex said thoughtfully. "Now, the main question is why these guys would use an NX-Class. Given the fact that it has shields and more powerful weapons, I'd say that whoever owned it had to retrofit the newer technology on, and retrofitting is only done if you don't have enough new ships. My main worry is that this might just be the tip of the iceberg. The ship that destroyed the Tempest had some pretty modern tech. Unknown, high-powered Torpedoes, all kinds of energy weapons--both beams and cannons--and shields that seemed to be at about Starbase level. If both that ship and this NX-Class belong to the same faction, we could be in trouble."

"You have a point, Alex," Tieria replied. "And there's also the possibility we might face other Starfleet vessels. If that NX-Class has shields and more powerful weapons, we can assume that any other Starfleet vessels we have to fight will have upgrades of a similar nature."
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
"You have a point, Alex," Tieria replied. "And there's also the possibility we might face other Starfleet vessels. If that NX-Class has shields and more powerful weapons, we can assume that any other Starfleet vessels we have to fight will have upgrades of a similar nature."
Josh was completely shocked by this new information. He could not believe that there were ships from the future, or the past, or a completely different timeline were travelling here to disrupt the current politics of this galaxy. If they had they're way the entire galaxy could be thrown into an all out war that would decimate the defense capabilities of all sides allowing for an invasion from the other timeline.

"This information is very disturbing. If we assume that these aren't the only two ships from this faction and the fact that the two that we've seen are far more advanced than they should be worries me a little. We need to investigate the Arcus System as soon as possible and find a way to stop any further plans that these time travelers may have."
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
"This information is very disturbing. If we assume that these aren't the only two ships from this faction and the fact that the two that we've seen are far more advanced than they should be worries me a little. We need to investigate the Arcus System as soon as possible and find a way to stop any further plans that these time travelers may have."
Jarus looked over at Orr who nodded. Vincent was right, whatever had come through time was preparing a very large event. Although he loathed the idea of having to possibly fire on another Federation ship, obviously the defense and security of this time was more important.

"I concur with Captain Vincent," Jarus pointed at the image on the wall. "If that is in the Arcus system, then that is where we need to be." He paused as something else occured to him suddenly. "Based on the destruction of the Tempest and your probe, Commander, do we have anything in our arsenal that can deal damage to those ships?"