Lt. Commander
# 21
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinker View Post
Exactly..... PvP at Admiral level currrently not enjoyable and unbalanced. High end pvp in SWG and even WoW is better than what this game has to offer.
and if you play swgemu, it only takes you 3 days to become high end!
Lt. Commander
# 22 back to the op's point
04-27-2010, 12:21 AM
There's no reason this can't be accommodated. Even if you run with a premade, your premade buds aren't always going to be on. In that case it's a pug for you. (btw, I've had little luck maintaining pvp premades, because so many people have left the game. But that's another issue.)

If you're just in the game soloing for the night, it's nice to know you can queue for pvp w/o having to fight a premade. As has been mentioned, pugs against premades usually don't stand much chance. I know the Klingon premades (God, someone give them some pve to do!) were rolling the feds so much one night, the feds stopped queuing. That's not good for the game.

Plus, as anyone who's ever played Team Fortress will tell you, random pugs can be a whole lot of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-27-2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachiia
There's no reason this can't be accommodated. Even if you run with a premade, your premade buds aren't always going to be on. In that case it's a pug for you. (btw, I've had little luck maintaining pvp premades, because so many people have left the game. But that's another issue.)

If you're just in the game soloing for the night, it's nice to know you can queue for pvp w/o having to fight a premade. As has been mentioned, pugs against premades usually don't stand much chance. I know the Klingon premades (God, someone give them some pve to do!) were rolling the feds so much one night, the feds stopped queuing. That's not good for the game.

Plus, as anyone who's ever played Team Fortress will tell you, random pugs can be a whole lot of fun.
I think people are failing to see the issue here. It has nothing to do with whether or not you're playing a Premade team or a PUG team. It has to do with the skill of your opponents and, more importantly, the skill level of your teammates.

If Cryptic moves to a True Skill or statistics based matchmaking system then you'll always be paired with other teammates of your same skill level. Same goes for your opponent. That way you won't be matched with teammates or against opponents that are either far above you or substantially below you in ability level. So whether you're PUG'ing it or in a Premade you'll be assured a fairer level of competition and by extension, more enjoyment from the experience.

Simply separating PUG and Premade groups will do little for players such as the OP. People will still be at a higher level of ability than he is and he'll continue to lose. His teammates will continue to play a solo gamestyle and he'll continue to lose. He'll become upset, cry to the forums, beg the DEV's for "nerfs" and "balance" and he'll continue to lose.

Basing the matchmaking system off a fair and statistically balanced system is the proper solution. Highly skilled players will continue to be matched with other players who present a challenge. Players like the OP can be teamed with other players of similarly low ability levels and interests in skill development.

Everyone wins...
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-27-2010, 06:04 AM
You REALLY trust Cryptic to come up with a complex mathematical formula for a ranking system.......????

This from the programmers that brought you diminishing returns on the first defensive buff used...??
This from the programmers that tried to nerf FBP's damage and ended up buffing it UP on test server...??

From this the people who lose would most likely get a rank increase..and the winners go down in rank :p

My head explodes at the thought

Better for them to separate the queue. Then at least if the OP sucks (and I don't know you man, just going along with the previous argument so nothing personal ) then at least he know it was not because of a premade.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
You REALLY trust Cryptic to come up with a complex mathematical formula for a ranking system.......????
I definitely see your point...let us not forget they created the current system. But Cryptic doesn't have to come up with it. The True Skill matchmaking and ranking system has been around for quite some time and exists successfully in game types as varied as First Person Shooters to Real-Time Strategy titles.

Quote:
Better for them to separate the queue. Then at least if the OP sucks (and I don't know you man, just going along with the previous argument so nothing personal ) then at least he know it was not because of a premade.
Again, I understand the line of thinking but it ignores the fact that the OP will never be good with his mindset and he will lose to you, me, Premades, PUGs, etc. Does the PvP system need to be improved? Yes. Does it need to be segregated so PUGs never face Premades? No. It needs to be changed so all PvP'ers...whether they be PUGs or in a Premade...face the appropriate level of competition and are paired with similarly skilled teammates.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyXP View Post
Again, I understand the line of thinking but it ignores the fact that the OP will never be good with his mindset and he will lose to you, me, Premades, PUGs, etc. Does the PvP system need to be improved? Yes. Does it need to be segregated so PUGs never face Premades? No. It needs to be changed so all PvP'ers...whether they be PUGs or in a Premade...face the appropriate level of competition and are paired with similarly skilled teammates.
I agree that a ranking system would be fine. But I just don't trust the developers to get it right :-P

Trying to keep it simple for them lol.