Lt. Commander
# 1 Unauthorized Abandon Ship !!
04-25-2010, 04:20 AM
So many times after just entering battle my enemy might get a shot off on me then I would die.
After getting angry enough, I would refuse to respawn until I found out why I died by parsing through the extensive (and hard to use) combat log.

What I found was that the Abandon Ship II was used. I did NOT see this as the problem EVERY time, however, it stood out on several occasions (you know how the combat log seems to skip information...).

I changed my quickbar mode to 3 and searched through. Sure enough it is in there, even after I remove it from the list over and over and over. I have played with moving it to unbound areas also, but this does not seem to stop its activation randomly.

It might have something to do with lag (seems to kick off against players with lag) or if it is a bug with the quickbar system (which does not function properly all the time) or if it is triggered by outside influences (exploits legit or non) or if it is caused by command buffer overloads....

The problem goes away once I remove this command entirely from the quickbar system.

Q:
Is there some combo an enemy can use on me that would cause Abandon Ship to be triggered?
Why would the system interpret any input as abandon ship key bind when this command is not given?
The quickbar system has many other issues still. Are you guys looking into it?
How can I permanently remove this command so that it does not show up after restarting/relogging?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-25-2010, 04:41 AM
this makes me think, a few times now i've just been blown out of the water, both in pvp and pve. last night i was enaged in battle agaist 3 bird of prey (npcs) soon has i engaged targets i was dead. full shields/full hull

now you majking me think this could be the reason, but it just seems too random to find the cause
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Abandon Ship has a very distinctive alert sound, followed by escape pods flying out of your ship. And then, only if you're close enough to another ship, does your ship actually explode. Admittedly, I don't know what the range is on this but I'm thinking 3km (this power damages ships out to 3km). I triggered this once by accident, as well, since I had removed it from my toolbar to prevent just such an occurrence. The UI decided I would be better off having it mixed in amongst my defensive buffs, however. Anyway, I wasn't close enough to any ships when I set it off so nothing happened (other than me panicking).

I put my Abandon Ship icon on toolbar #4, which I don't use. So far it has stayed there. I haven't heard of any powers/abilities in use in PvE or PvP that could activate Abandon Ship against a players' will. It would be amusing and annoying if Viral Matrix had a small chance to activate some random ship ability as part of it's disabling routine (like the Iconian probe in TNG episode Contagion). But so far I don't think there's anything like that in the game.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-27-2010, 03:31 AM
I tried that Zordar...
I had already turned my sound levels (ambient, effects, etc) down and the alert was barely noticable when i turned it up a bit.

The entries in my combat log were ofc the amount of damage my abandon ship II did to another person...

Like you, I cannot get this skill to leave my quickbar permanently. Something is triggering it
It could be too many commands q'd from my gamepad or some programming glitch or some other, I dont know. All I know is that the proglem goes away once I remove it from the quickbar and doesnt come back until the next time I start STO.

Can someone look into this please?