Lt. Commander
# 21
04-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Okay, treating it seriously, it's unlikely that they'd have the same motivations we would. If we're lucky, their mental processes will be similar enough that we can communicate.

Earthlike planets are going to be few and far between (the whys are almost a full-page post by themselves), so if they don't have FTL travel, two-way "shipping" is simply not practical. If they come from a planet similar enough to ours to survive on ours, there's not going to anything here that they don't have at home. And when it takes years to make the trip, while decades, or even centuries pass at home, there's no point to shipping back stuff you can get at home. Exploration and resettlement are the only reasons for making the journey. (At least, among reasons we can comprehend. There's always that "alien" thing.)

Exploration doesn't pose any risk to us, but if they've left their home looking for a new one, that could be a problem. If they're a group that has been forced out by their own people, we may not want them here, either. And if the entire species had to "head out", and they think our planet would make a good new home, well . . . .

If they do have FTL, all bets are off. If they can make the round trip in a relatively short time, we're at the mercy of whatever their motivations are. In which case, we can only hope they're benevolent, because the rest of their tech is probably similarly advanced.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
That's not likely in the least... hell we probably will have utterly different sets of base pairs.
And if they can cross interstellar distances, they'd be smart enough to protect themselves if the pathogens are mutually compatible. As to whether they'd protect us from theirs, that's a different question.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Quite why one of the smartest men on the planet would think that any alien species would want to bother raiding us is mind bogglingly confusing.

Any species with the technology to arrive in our solar system would find a supremely more accessible bounty of resources in the asteroid belt alone, even without taking into account every other planet. Even if we were nothing but buzzing flies to any aliens, it would still be easier to just scoop up everything that isn't covered in flies.

Sheer conquest is more likely, since resources are so easy for an interstellar civilisation to come by without dealing with a gravity well, and then you get into the issue of our planet possibly not even being in THEIR range of habitability.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorak View Post
Quite why one of the smartest men on the planet would think that any alien species would want to bother raiding us is mind bogglingly confusing.

Any species with the technology to arrive in our solar system would find a supremely more accessible bounty of resources in the asteroid belt alone, even without taking into account every other planet. Even if we were nothing but buzzing flies to any aliens, it would still be easier to just scoop up everything that isn't covered in flies.

Sheer conquest is more likely, since resources are so easy for an interstellar civilisation to come by without dealing with a gravity well, and then you get into the issue of our planet possibly not even being in THEIR range of habitability.
Who are you and what have you done to the dumbnut Khorak? *tases*

*secret smooch*
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-25-2010, 11:32 AM
I still want to know who StephaM Hawking is.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Let's see, what was that quote? Living in large ships, going from planet to planet for their resources....ect....ect......ect"

uh oh. someone has been watching the movie Independence Day.

His new show is on tonight on the Discovery Channel. I'll be watching.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm sure a few hundred years ago there were a few red skinned fellows sitting in a long house around a fire saying, "If those strange people with the wind ships can cross the sea why would they want to have anything to do with us? We don't even have the wheel." Resources don't always come as ore, the rarest resource in the galaxy is organic material and if they have a reason to go after that, such as maybe potential cures for diseases genetic and otherwise, I'd suspect we'd cross over to a nearby star system if it meant we could cure every type of cancer and STD imaginable.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
He's a brilliant scientist. That doesn't mean his other opinions are worth a darn.

If aliens are capable of and wanting to destroy us, they will.
It doesn't matter whether or not we are trying to find them.
It's a Chicken Little mentality... Oh no, the sky is falling....

I look forward to it, but I also realize the odds of it happening in my lifetime are almost zilch.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
I still want to know who StephaM Hawking is.
I dunno, but I would like to know even more who StephEM Hawking is whom is the subject matter of this forum post.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
I bet they have already visited, seen the sad state of affairs that we humans like to put ourselves in, and left, seeing no possible hope for us. They will come back when the platapi have risen to an intelligent life form.
I would have to disagree on this. I do not have enough confidence that any government on this planet, let alone the few major ones, has the capability to keep such an event secret. If aliens ever visited this planet everyone would know about it... right down to the cannibal tribes in the dimmest corners of this small piece of rock.