Lt. Commander
I hate to bring this up, but i like to earn it and enjoy the game without having someone giving me alkinda junks or buy things for cash. I know there some would do it, probably because they are lazy. Anyway i was doing a mission and discover the mailbox in Memory Alpha, the box was full of gold spammers

How you guys going to deal with them? Banned them would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
I hate to bring this up, but i like to earn it and enjoy the game without having someone giving me alkinda junks or buy things for cash. I know there some would do it, probably because they are lazy. Anyway i was doing a mission and discover the mailbox in Memory Alpha, the box was full of gold spammers

How you guys going to deal with them? Banned them would be nice.
Use the "REport Spam" function, either here or in-game. That blocks the sender of the spam - and all their characters. Just remember to manually delete the messages after they successfully report - you'll see a blue message in chat that "xxx@xxx has been reported" before you delete the message. Doing it here onthe Web site deletes automatically. The chat server in-game can be somewhat laggy with system commands

In the in-game chat window, you can right-click on the spammer's name and do the same - it has the same effect, and also has the same not-always-immediate lagginess - just keep doing it until the blue message comes up.

Report Spam doesn't just block 'em - it also notifies the GMs to review the logs - and if they are indeed spamming, to permaban 'em. Also, if enough people report them, they're automatically silenced - which of course is a clue to dsaid spammer to delete that account.

Eventually the spammers will stop - ESPECIALY once people realize how easy it is to get credits, and stop buying 'em. No market = no spammers, after all - there's only so much retroactive action (such as reporting) can do.

Once trying becomes unprofitable (they're spending more to get accounts than they make in credit sales), they'll go away.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Callasan covered it quite well.

I would only add that the "Report Spam" function in game is ONLY for reporting sellers/advertisers. Using it to silence a player who's behaving objectionably is a violation of the rules. "Spamming" fleet recruiting or any other message is not to be reported with the "Report Spam" function.

For those people, file a report and use the Ignore function, not the Report Spam function.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I report them. But before I do I tell them what they could do to themselves first. I know it may just as well be an automated thing but I do it anyway. It is only to let them know that there is going to be players who do not accept their way of doing things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I have't herd any spammer or got emails for about a week .
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBeerLolz View Post
I have't herd any spammer or got emails for about a week .
Then that means that our reporting has not been in vain. Stay alert captain.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2010, 02:34 PM
there is also the whitelist commands that means you can specifically block people that arnt on your friends list from emailing you

just type /whitelist and it will give you the options although watch out for the private tell one as if you join a group they cant talk to you
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp_Hazzard
Callasan covered it quite well.

I would only add that the "Report Spam" function in game is ONLY for reporting sellers/advertisers. Using it to silence a player who's behaving objectionably is a violation of the rules. "Spamming" fleet recruiting or any other message is not to be reported with the "Report Spam" function.

For those people, file a report and use the Ignore function, not the Report Spam function.
Spamming is spamming, if you are fleet spamming incessantly, you get reported as well, that is still spam.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupgoblin View Post
Spamming is spamming, if you are fleet spamming incessantly, you get reported as well, that is still spam.
While many people agree with you (including me), I'm just reporting what the devs have said here in these very forums. Using the "Report Spam" chat function for anything other than commercial spam is verboten. We're supposed to use the regular reporting functions for chat abuse, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
IHow you guys going to deal with them? Banned them would be nice.
with 230 grains of.......indifference