Lt. Commander
For ground pvp i see many people making small and short characters in which they will use them to ambush people because they are so small and hard to target. I believe the physic of the characters that we all make should affect our combat. Take for example the following:

Muscular = More dmg to melee, less dmg to range
Toned (not muscular) = More dmg to ranged, less dmg to melee
Tall = moves faster, takes more dmg, and dodges less (5ft and up)
Short = moves slower, takes less dmg, and dodges more (4 ft and lower)

Say for example someone wants to go melee- they would want to be Muscular and tall so that they can move fast to the enemy and take them down. In another instance where someone wants to be ranged they would want to be toned and short. If someone wants to be in the middle and use both ranged and melee they would have to be in the middle of these all, not too bulky in muscles and probably around 4.5 ft in height.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Sulu can kick your butt in melee but he's not muscular and tall.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I agree with the point that 2-foot tall characters are a pain in ground PvP; but not with the rest... Instead of making melee damage, etc based on what a character looks like; they should fix the already broken mechanics that make playing 2-foot tall characters so much of an advantage.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindps View Post
For ground pvp i see many people making small and short characters in which they will use them to ambush people because they are so small and hard to target.
It doesn't really work out that way. Targeting issues have more to do with the UI than with anything a player does. Unless you are pointing and clicking manually, which is slow enough that it is a bad tactic to begin with.

Quote:
I believe the physic of the characters that we all make should affect our combat. Take for example the following:

Muscular = More dmg to melee, less dmg to range
Toned (not muscular) = More dmg to ranged, less dmg to melee
Tall = moves faster, takes more dmg, and dodges less (5ft and up)
Short = moves slower, takes less dmg, and dodges more (4 ft and lower)
If you want to do better in melee combat, take advantage of the racial traits. Tellarites, Gorn, Vulcans, Klingons ... they all do the types of things you are trying to do with your system.

The actual aesthetic of being taller or darker is just part of customization.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfeef
I agree with the point that 2-foot tall characters are a pain in ground PvP; but not with the rest... Instead of making melee damage, etc based on what a character looks like; they should fix the already broken mechanics that make playing 2-foot tall characters so much of an advantage.
Totally agree. It's much easier to click on a nine foot tall character than it is a two foot tall character in PVP. It's a clear decisive advantage in defense for the smaller character, which it should be in real life, of course. Smaller characters should be harder to target as a rule.

But to balance this Cryptic should therefore tweak the broken mechanics and correct them.

This is not a customization issue as is being argued. It's purely a balance issue.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
If the hitbox for clicks correctly targeting a player would be the same regardless of height, this probblem would not exist.

But sadly.....
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2010, 05:52 PM
I've never had a problem targeting short people, the TAB key works as well targeting them as it does targeting the tall ones.

This isn't Final Fantasy, we have other options than just point and click,
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Yea actually Soupgoblin you reminded me of something.

Both CO and STO have a options called "Target threatening enemies first" and "Target when attacked" which (In theory) should mean that with both on, during Tab target the AI/player beating on you gets targeted before the one who isn't. "Target when attacked" is most useful for ambushes when you don't have a target already, and I'm pretty sure "Target threatening enemies first" modifies Tab targeting as well.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupgoblin View Post
I've never had a problem targeting short people, the TAB key works as well targeting them as it does targeting the tall ones.

This isn't Final Fantasy, we have other options than just point and click,
He's speaking the truth. The targeting problems stem more from the UI ... getting turned around ... and not being able to target things not in line of sight properly because the interface is herky jerky. Player height doesn't really cause an issue. Except when manually pointing and clicking. And that's not a very good way of fighting in PVP.

Also the players who make their skin dark for the purpose of camo thinking opponents can't see them ...

The lighting effects from the weapons you fire overcome that. So that phaser/disruptor/antiproton thingie you're firing ... means we can all see you.

And you're a red dot on our maps.

And even stealthed we can now see you.

There's no way to hide that's remotely effective. So being short and dark doesn't make anyone a ninja.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Actually, the broken mechanics I'm referring to are not targeting related... I have absolutely no problem targeting players no matter what their height. The problem I have is that the only way to melee these 2-foot characters is to crouch; otherwise that rifle-butt goes right over their head and does nothing.

I can't count the times that some 2-footer has run right up to me and there's actually absolutely nothing I can do to clear them out of there unless I use rifle-butt while crouching; which is not a very viable tactic to use while in PvP. Also, you can forget trying to melee them with a bat'leth; not gonna happen. I've tested this over-and-over again and it's not some failing on my part... you just can't hit them. This is why I no longer queue for ground PvP matches as their loaded with 2-footer on both sides.