Lt. Commander
# 41
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
But pvp is fun.
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I have been reading through this thread and can agree and disagree with many things. PvP focus is a bad direction. Open PvP in non-pve zones I am even fine with. Let griefers mess with each other.

As far as the casual gamers I can blame them for a lame game market of video games that fail to dazzle. I hate picking up a new game to find out I can beat it easily in less than a couple of days because they anticipate you playing for an hour each night over a month. Good business people want a blockbuster. Catering to the "casual" audience gets you less than stellar numbers for profits. This leads to uninspiring gameplay and less content.

Bioware gets to laugh all the way to the bank along with EA when they made Dragon Age. Casual does not keep people interested. That is also not a good business habit for an MMO. So the person that said that the casual gamer is a majority may wish to check some sales figures. Another example I can think of is Take2 (Rockstar) Grand Theft Auto series is not a short game and has quite a bit of content for each game after number 2.

The examples above know some things about game audiences and how to make an immersive game. Bethesda made lackluster casual Star Trek games and saw the CBS laywers coming. Activision already learned that lesson as well about Star Trek.

STO is way too casual for quite a few people and thats why you see the rage quit posts. The average age in my fleet is 40+ and we are now down to just a couple of active people because the game is boring after a while. Being 40 does not give you a magic credibility. However it does give you a wealth of experience of other games that kept your interest for far longer.

Its not my intention to flame casual gamers but lets keep in mind that if a game can't hold our attention then there is something wrong with the game...
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-27-2010, 01:03 AM
I still don't see where PvP nerfs are hurting PvE play. If you're referring to the SNB / VM nerfs, I'm pretty sure a science ship can get through a mission without needing to stun their opponents for 30 seconds.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefox74654 View Post
I have been reading through this thread and can agree and disagree with many things. PvP focus is a bad direction. Open PvP in non-pve zones I am even fine with. Let griefers mess with each other.

As far as the casual gamers I can blame them for a lame game market of video games that fail to dazzle. I hate picking up a new game to find out I can beat it easily in less than a couple of days because they anticipate you playing for an hour each night over a month. Good business people want a blockbuster. Catering to the "casual" audience gets you less than stellar numbers for profits. This leads to uninspiring gameplay and less content.

Bioware gets to laugh all the way to the bank along with EA when they made Dragon Age. Casual does not keep people interested. That is also not a good business habit for an MMO. So the person that said that the casual gamer is a majority may wish to check some sales figures. Another example I can think of is Take2 (Rockstar) Grand Theft Auto series is not a short game and has quite a bit of content for each game after number 2.

The examples above know some things about game audiences and how to make an immersive game. Bethesda made lackluster casual Star Trek games and saw the CBS laywers coming. Activision already learned that lesson as well about Star Trek.

STO is way too casual for quite a few people and thats why you see the rage quit posts. The average age in my fleet is 40+ and we are now down to just a couple of active people because the game is boring after a while. Being 40 does not give you a magic credibility. However it does give you a wealth of experience of other games that kept your interest for far longer.

Its not my intention to flame casual gamers but lets keep in mind that if a game can't hold our attention then there is something wrong with the game...
This game has a larger population or role players. Since, I have found the role-playing channels in this game about two months ago. I have been consumed non-stop with Star Trek, when I am not in college or have homework to do. My fleet has 92 very active members. Everyone participates in all aspects of the game. We are a growing fleet too.

The role playing population is your long term and sustaining profitability for this game. We are the people who use the Risa system, DS9, and other places in the federation. I am constantly on my bridge holding functions with visiting officers from other fleets. We also host a Friday night event, that runs for 12 hours. SO far in the three weeks we have run it, we have recruited 10 members, who quickly became actively involved in the game. We have even worked with several other Fleets to help their recruitment and social activities.

One fleet Department of Temporal Investigation funs a Saturday matinée at 3 pm EST for the community. They also host a footrace on Thursday night on Risa. Also, the folks from subspace radio are actively involved in these endeavorer too.

I think the pvp-player in this game and most are the true casual player. Their only purpose is to play the game to achieve self gratification. The get there high and move on. Sort of the same people who go to bars and hang out only on Jazz Night and drink coffee. The bar never makes money on those nights and no one wants to work that shift.

The problem with game developers, in my opinion, many of them are probably under 27 years of age, and there ability to achieve formal operational level of thinking is not fully developed. These folks are incapable of hypothetical thinking. So they do not read any of the content in the game, nor do they take any time to understand the situation. They assume running into an event and just shooting at things, and seeing who can press the buttons in.07 seconds of time is the object of the game.

These are the same folks who complain routinely that there is nothing to do. I call it a "teenager" mentality. I am 38, and I have no problem taking my time playing each episode. I only do about 1 or 2 missions a night in explorations missions. On the weekend my time is consumed by helping others. When I can get some free time...I go do my own missions. I have yet to start any of the add on missions the game has released.

I am not in a hurry to play them, and I still have plenty of RA5 missions left to do and captain missions, I have not done, not to mention some defend missions I need to do.

I find the game to be much more enjoyable by staying out of the zone and global chat. In the role-player population all a commander has to do is ask for help and all kinds of people go out of their way to help the person. Except for one or two emails every now and then, I don't see any spammers anymore.

So far at every turn of the game in the last two months are role playing efforts have been thwarted because the game developers keep changing the game for people who have no long term commitment to play the game. If you actually play the game and understand how all the tools work together, the developers already set the tools to be able to make your own player content. You just need to over come your own functional fixedness and heuristics to understand how to do it.

The pvp system can be a great way to create your own content.
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestPilot
I still don't see where PvP nerfs are hurting PvE play. If you're referring to the SNB / VM nerfs, I'm pretty sure a science ship can get through a mission without needing to stun their opponents for 30 seconds.
I don't get it either. I have Viral Matrix on one of my science officers, but I have yet to see how it is this one hit wonder button. I find scramble sensors and jam target to be more effective with high yield 2 and a forward mounted plasma torpedo and aft mounted quantum launcher, with quantum mine. I have recently added to my arsenal two wide array anti-proton beam weapons, one polaron beam array, All of these are MKX. I plan to spend the next 3 to 6 months doing daily missions in B'Tran to field my ship with purple and update all my crew with MKX purple items.