Lt. Commander
# 1 A bridge I came up with
04-26-2010, 04:30 AM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ngerBridge.jpg

This Bridge I did in paint and I wanted to know a couple of things so I thought I would ask my fellow STO Forum Dwellers.

1) Is there a Canon Bridge like this?
2) Is there a Bridge in STO close in layout to this?
3) What do you think of this layout? (Please only respond to this with constructive criticism such as I dont like this because....... I would rather those who cant explain there not likeing it dont reply as I am trying to improve my idea)
4) Does it look like a bridge layout that belongs in a Defiant or Prometheus?

Thank you for taking your time to read this and thank you in advance to anyone who will reply
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2010, 04:40 AM
it has a similar layout to that of the intrepid class (voyager). there should be a bridge like that somewhere in the game

although voyager would have two extra consoles at the very back where tuvok and kim where stationed

it looks too big and open for a defiant as that does not have a ready room or briefing room so perhaps more a Prometheus class but it seams to fit the standard model of a starfleet ship
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-26-2010, 04:44 AM
I will admit your bridge is good, but there aren't enough seats for your consoles.

Plus most bridges only had 2 seats for the captain/first officer (Defiant only had the captains chair). Enterprise only had 3 due to having a ships counsellor, Deanna Troi
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2010, 04:55 AM
My Reasoning for the 3rd is a visiting officer seat so an ambassador oradmiral while aboard and on the bridge would use that and any other time the 2nd officer or counciler (as the Warmonger my Fanfiction ship has a counciler) would use it much as on the galaxy and I think thats the same reasoning with the 3rd on the galaxy as everytime an ambasador or diplomat etc is aboard and they are on the bridge you see them there instead of Troi. But I could be mistaken. Anyway I thought I would explain why the Warmonger has a 3rd
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2010, 06:14 AM
wasn't just a seat for troi, when the doc is on the bridge, they also sit there, i believe its just a spare seat
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Two problems I can see.

1) Unless the Captain's chair and the console behind it are each elevated, the console in front of it (immediately in front of the viewscreen) would obscure their view. You can tier your bridge, with three elevations for all three stations, but then your viewscreen would have to be very large and your ceiling higher than it should be for a single deck.

2) The turbolift should not be placed in the far rear of the bridge. A better location would be two turbolifts, one on each of the diagonal walls connecting to the rear wall, and consoles on the rear wall instead. The reason for this is if the Captain is called to the bridge, he needs to be able to make a beeline from the turbolift to his station, and in your design he has to walk around the console behind his station and (as per point 1) down a level.

Otherwise, it's not a bad design.

Also, regarding the "not enough chairs for consoles" point, there are plenty. There are actually fewer consoles on the Galaxy class bridge than what we see here, and not all consoles must have chairs. For example, the rear consoles probably control engineering functions and contain advanced science stations, where the officers manning them may have to move from one console to another, thus should not be sitting. The three that may require an officer to be sitting down (being helm, ops, and navigation) do have chairs. I assume the forward console is the helm, the port and starboard consoles with chairs are ops and navigation (or ops and science station) and the console behind the Captain's chair is tactical.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Two problems I can see.
1) Unless the Captain's chair and the console behind it are each elevated, the console in front of it (immediately in front of the viewscreen) would obscure their view. You can tier your bridge, with three elevations for all three stations, but then your viewscreen would have to be very large and your ceiling higher than it should be for a single deck.
As to this point I adjusted the floor plan to this http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...BridgeMkII.jpg now theres a console pit to house the console so its lowered enough for the captian to see the view screen and the tactical officer stands as in the Enterprise D so he can see over the captian who would be sitting usualy without need for a raised floor (well not in my ship design maybe)

Quote:
2) The turbolift should not be placed in the far rear of the bridge. A better location would be two turbolifts, one on each of the diagonal walls connecting to the rear wall, and consoles on the rear wall instead. The reason for this is if the Captain is called to the bridge, he needs to be able to make a beeline from the turbolift to his station, and in your design he has to walk around the console behind his station and (as per point 1) down a level.
I personaly don't see the captian not being able to go in a straight line from the Lift to the Chair and back again as a problem I mean theres a almost direct line from the captians ready room instead.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaneth_K
As to this point I adjusted the floor plan to this http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...BridgeMkII.jpg now theres a console pit to house the console so its lowered enough for the captian to see the view screen and the tactical officer stands as in the Enterprise D so he can see over the captian who would be sitting usualy without need for a raised floor (well not in my ship design maybe)

I personaly don't see the captian not being able to go in a straight line from the Lift to the Chair and back again as a problem I mean theres a almost direct line from the captians ready room instead.
Assuming s/he's in his/her ready room when s/he's called to the bridge. And it's more courtesy than necessity. You don't stand in the Captain's way.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Assuming s/he's in his/her ready room when s/he's called to the bridge. And it's more courtesy than necessity. You don't stand in the Captain's way.
True enough. But I did also want to be a little different and not have 2 turbo lifts which while a pain if the one should fail but thats why theres always Jeffries Tubes right? and if you have only 1 lift where else would you put it? Plus the fact that that captian would have to turn her head or stand up and look to see whos coming onto the bridge plays into my story as she is Empathic so it can make for funny moments when she gets it wrong.