Lt. Commander
# 11
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Why doed the First Officer need to be on the bridge at all?
i mean, doesn't it make more sense for the XO to be near enough to be called, but it seems that on Fed ships, the idea of putting the bridge all the way top where it can be shot at makes it endemic to move the command structure away fromt he Captain in times of stress.
Just an observation.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MycroftHolmes View Post
Why doed the First Officer need to be on the bridge at all?
i mean, doesn't it make more sense for the XO to be near enough to be called, but it seems that on Fed ships, the idea of putting the bridge all the way top where it can be shot at makes it endemic to move the command structure away fromt he Captain in times of stress.
Just an observation.
This is very true. Two enormous flaws I can see with any Federation starship: 1) The warp nacelles are connected by a very thin pylon to the hull, which makes said pylon a spectacular target if you want to disable a ship's warp capabilities and 2) the bridge is ALWAYS on the exterior of the damn ship! The bridge has no portholes or windows, it has a viewscreen that utilizes the ship's sensors, so why does it need to be on the exterior, where it becomes a prime target? Want to disable a Federation starship's entire command staff? Shoot at the damn bridge!
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
This is very true. Two enormous flaws I can see with any Federation starship: 1) The warp nacelles are connected by a very thin pylon to the hull, which makes said pylon a spectacular target if you want to disable a ship's warp capabilities and 2) the bridge is ALWAYS on the exterior of the damn ship! The bridge has no portholes or windows, it has a viewscreen that utilizes the ship's sensors, so why does it need to be on the exterior, where it becomes a prime target? Want to disable a Federation starship's entire command staff? Shoot at the damn bridge!
And yet it was only targeted 2 or 3 times through out all of the shows despite it's obviousness.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonomahin View Post
And yet it was only targeted 2 or 3 times through out all of the shows despite it's obviousness.
Yep. Apparently Romulan, Klingon, Dominion, and Cardassian tactical officers are all idiots.

Starfleet tactical officers, too. BoPs, Keldon class ships, and Warbirds all have their bridges on the top deck of that section of the ship too.

Only the Dominion did it right, with their bridge being nowhere near the outside of the ship.