Lt. Commander
# 81
05-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordun
I love a lot of the ideas presented here for both XOs and Senior Staff Officers, I'm just worried that for the most part these ideas would require months of coding and Playtesting just to start. Follow this with several more months of debugging and it could be a year or more before they got it right (providing other scheduled projects didn't slow them down). And of course this would only begin after Cryptic discussed got approval and started work...which could be months in the future.

In short, we need to present a simple idea that can be easily implemented, to suit our purposes for the time being. Then allow Cryptic the time needed to fully flesh out something more complex in the future.

For example:
Quote:
Concerning XOs:

Quote:
...they should be exempt from the rank limitations placed on thier assigned stations, and be allowed to use any of the skills thier rank grants them (in Space)...
Quote:
...we could be given the option of using our XOs to lead Away Missons in place of our standard PC Captain? One or the other could "beam down", but not both, and which ever did will be the one the Player controls.
(An XO can be selected at anytime you have BOs, it is not mandatory to select an XO)...and if the Officer is ever "demoted" he/she should then be Discharged from your crew (helps keep folks from having a "revolving XO"). Also XOs would be able to be assigned and use Kits, just like PC Captains.

It seems with these simple things they could easily give us a workable XO, that could later be refined as more Player input was had, I only hope that such a thing happens soon...
I know this is far simpler then most ideas previously presented, but as I stated I would like to see something implemented sooner rather then later, and the use of a simpler model for the time being does not preclude the designers using a more complex version in the future.
**THREAD BUMP**
Lt. Commander
# 82 This is how you make the XO
05-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I was told this should be posted here so...

Cpt Picard: "I'm taking an away team, cmdr data, cmdr worf, cmdr leforge and cmdr crusher your with me!"

Somehow I don't remember this in the show but this is how episodes go in my Star Trek series!

I don't believe that the current use and placements is in keeping with Trek lore. What I propose is that everyship you come accross should have 10 positions on the ship that you assign them. All BO should start as crewmen or without rank having only access to the first ground skill.*

During the tutorial your given a BO and *you should get a "free" promotion for this BO so you can see the promotion process as well as the use of BO skills but this would be after your mission to the surface.*

Once you are promoted from ensign to Lt you will get your other two promotions. With each promotion you recieve after this you woul be authorized to promote upto 3 of your BO to ensign opening up thier space skill.*

This could give you the feel of having a civilian in your crew if you wanted. However, you would be limited to only 15 promotions to give to your crew. These promotions are for all 10 of your BO and you would be able to assign them to any assignment you see fit on the assignment page.*

The roles that your BO should fill are*
Executive officer
Engineering
Medical
Tactics
Security
Operations
Communications
Research
Intelligence
Helm

When you assign a BO to a position your ship gains a slight passive bonus to an element. Like you assign someone to be your medical officer you gain a slight boost to alive available crew and or crew recovery but by placing a science officer in that position you could gain a bit more.*

Filling a position is not required for your ship to function only your available crewmembers can fill ship roles and functions. *Again every ship would have all roles available to fill so each ship makeup is completely an individuals perogative.*

Promotion would be very similar to what it is now. You would need them to have improved thier skills to be available for promotion and promotion would still cost merits.*

Additionally you could demote one of your BO giving you back access to a promotion. If you discharged a BO that had promotions they should automatically be reduced so you can promote a new BO.*

All equipment that you use is based on your rank not your BO so even a crewman can use Mk X items just like low tier ships.*

I think that in this way you would be more in keeping with the story that is Star Trek so I can have my own version of Kirk, Spock, Bones and ensign cannon fodder!
Lt. Commander
# 83
05-27-2010, 09:28 PM
We've been telling Cryptic since Beta about all this, XOs and Senior Officers.

They havent so much said they liked the idea and were considering it.
Lt. Commander
# 84
05-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrNightfire
We've been telling Cryptic since Beta about all this, XOs and Senior Officers.

They havent so much said they liked the idea and were considering it.
Thats OK...those of us that really want this, should still continue to support and it and work to draw the attention of the Devs to it. Sooner or later it will get approached (but not if we fall silent). So don't get discouraged because this (out of the 900 other issues people scream about all day) isn't getting the response you would like. This may not get handled until sometime next year, but even so we need to stress that we want it...and give some good constructive ideas while we can. They are listening, they just can't always comment on every subject (particularly with the fire control they have to do on some subjects people just get insane about....did I hear "Klingon Faction" yet again).
Lt. Commander
# 85
06-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Thread PUNT...

Directly to the front page!
Lt. Commander
# 86
06-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the continued support Wordun, I've noticed you promoting this in other threads too, and I greatly appreciate it.

Since the release of 1.2, I have noticed a significant increase in the number of threads talking about BO's and giving them 'Roles' or 'Titles', such as the XO that we're talking about here... In light of the new Accolade system, we know that passive bonuses are already being implemented into the game, and I think that it opens the door even more to implement the XO ideas that have been presented here.

I also would like to throw my hat into the ring in support of 'Roles' for ALL of your Bridge Officers, each carrying some form of passive bonus, with each BO slot carrying a group of options for applicable 'Roles'. (i.e. Take the 'Career' ideas from the 1st post, and turn them into a selectable 'Role', and whichever role that is applied to your BO, would apply some form of passive bonus.)

Thanks for the support and feedback, keep it coming!
-Big Red
Lt. Commander
# 87
06-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I think it would be an interesting twist that when you make Captain, you have to nominate a Bridge Crew char as a 1st officer. This 1st Officer would lead all your away teams, while you command the Space component. The 1st officer could have the full set of skills open to them, and would need to be leveled (like a standard game Character). An interesting way to expand the game in an additonal dimension.
Lt. Commander
# 88
06-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Hey don't forget Sisko/Dax and Archer/T'Pol...even if you don't like the series you can't deny they help represent the Capt./XO dynamic that has always been core to Trek.
Except Dax wasn't the First Officer of DS9. Kira was.
Lt. Commander
# 89
06-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Here's another idea: When we make Admiral, can our BO's take command of our old ships so we can do misisons all together?
Lt. Commander
# 90
06-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Niceish idea. I would like to be able to designate one of my bridge officers as my first officer and it to have some positive effect, but they should still be able to do everything a normal bridge officer can do. Maybe something like their abilities all get a small (10% ?) bonus to duration or strength in addition to a tiny passive + to either weapons, shields or hull depending on whether your first officer is tactical, science or engineering-based. You should also be able to demote them to a standard bridge officer and select a new first officer, but possibly not completely freely - maybe only at your faction's main base or something.