Lt. Commander
# 1 Fleet Action.
04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I read on the Engineering report the Fleet Actions were under investigation. I am not sure want this actually means, nor what stage of the STO development cycle it is in. To me, "in development" means we are thinking about it. However, in the case the ideal is actually at a playable feature, I would like to put my ideal in the mix.

Preface:
I recently learned that the game developers put a "stop-gap" fix in the game to prevent admirals from "running a muck" in zones for the purpose of "gold-farming." I went to the aid of some Lt Commanders that needed fire support. Since the fleet I am in operates as a combat air wing, we organized the fleet into units called: elements, flights, squads, squad groups, wing, corp, and fleet.

If a commander in our fleet or out of our fleet needs help, all they need to do is call on the chat or the Ventrilo system.

Problem 1: The games policy as of now, does not permit admirals to come and aid people lower then captains in Deep Space Encounters. It will permit help with certain Exploration missions, but it seems to me to be inconsistent.

Problem 2: I am concerned that the system that is to be put in play allows for fleets to control instances. I am not sure if this in itself is a good solution. If the entire game were allowed to control an instance they were in, be it a fleet member or single player not in a fleet, or pvp player. This would be a good thing. If it only allows fleet people to control instances, I am concern it will divide the player community into factions.

The only game I have seen that had a good system for preventing run away farming, is Guild Wars. I liked the system they had there. Each zone was player specific. There were a limited amount of resources a player could pull from the instance. But they could unlock the zones and revisit them when ever they wanted to.

As far as mixing admirals and lower ranks, why doesn't the game have a fleet mode, which is similar to how "sidekick" and "lackey" works in City of Heroes. It can be set to work with any player, you just click on the icon and choose to be a mentor or an apprentice. For the loot, you should give the mentor a "merit" like 1 merit they could use to buy purple items in Gamma Orionis. The apprentice can just get regular loot for their level.

I am concerned that the developers are to quick to implement changes in the game with out thoroughly understanding the "effect" the change will have on the player community. I feel a mentor and apprentice system is what this game needs, and it should not create an atmosphere that divides the game into Fleet vs non-fleet, Rear Admirals 5 versus Ensigns, and role-player versus non-roleplayer.

Thank you,

Klytemnestra T'Pak-Dinnak Hippocrates, MD, PH.D(x25), PsyD, UFP, Starfleet Operational Command, Wing SF41 The Black Aces, Squadron Group 10 Commanding Officer, Vulcan Science Council.
(Your someone important when you can have more titles added on to your name)
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2010, 03:22 PM
They are bringing the sidekick feature like what is found in City of Heroes. Where you will lower in respective level to the person you are trying to help. Not too sure if it will work the other way.

As far as Fleets controlling instances of Fleet Actions? You lost me there, generally Fleet Actions instances have more then one instance running. And if not, if 19-21 people are working together to complete the Fleet Action, how is team work, cooperation and coordination a bad thing? Just enjoy the ride and the easy completion of the Fleet Action.

This would make Fleet Actions like Crystalline Entity actually achievable.

Just be aware that they are actually looking at it so that Fleets can run Fleet Actions together in a controlled enviroment so they don't have to deal with R'tards showing up and griefing them.

If you are afraid that by joining a Fleet Action where a Fleet dominates it and you get cut out of the end loot, uhh hate to break it to you but most of the drops are not all that great anyways. Fleet Actions are more about the fun completing it then anything you get from actually doing it.

Have a look at their calendar and respective features they are working on for 1.1, 1.2 and Season 2. It covers all of this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I was not concern about loot for me. I don't really bother with loot. Our fleet we set for need and greed. Most times I pass on it to let people lower then me or new to the game enjoy the "spoils."

I know fleet actions have more then one instance, but over the past two weeks, I will be on a team and it will send the people lower than captain to on instance and the captains and hire, mainly RA's to another instance. Then when you try to use the map tool to change instances, it says, "NoMapPossible" and the other part of the team is in, for example, "map instance 48."

I do not need to be afraid to join a fleet action, The fleet I am in has 92 current members who are very active. Also, I have plenty of money and have done plenty of Deep Space Encounters (DSE) and Fleet Actions. My concern is that what system they put in play is not only for a fleets benefit. I want a fair system, not one that discriminates.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Ah, so the issue is with the the instance dividing players into the two groups low tier and high tier. Yeah that will be addressed with the Fleet grouping for Fleet actions.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I have the same problem (and actually I was in the group trying to help new players out with the OP).

However, I don't think that problem is limited to RAs helping lower levels. A recent issue at Starbase 24:

Lt. Cmdr. 7, mission Starbase 24 from NPC. On my way there I met another player - Lt. Cmdr. 6, same mission. We teamed up in orbit, before entering the FA. I also invited this player to my fleet, he joined and we added each other as friend. So, there we were. Team mates, fleet mates, about 400 points apart in level, entering the mission. We tried several times, but in both space and ground, we never landed on the same map. Trying to change instances, we always got "No possible maps". If there is only one instance, and 2 people enter it at the same time, level and mission status... Shouldn't we land in the same instance?

On another occasion, I was Commander (about 200 points from Captain) and teamed with 2 players that had leveled just before that (both Captain 1). One was a fleet member, both were friends, teamed up, same difference in level as the SB24 issue. We beamed down to Big Dig, and all showed up in the same instance, no problem. In this case, we were officially really different ranks - Commander and Captain. And I don't get why two players at the same rank - Lt. Commander - are unable to access the same instance.
Both times, it was rather low frequented playtimes (US ~ 3 am, weekday) and there were no other players on the maps, and only one instance.

Something is wrong there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
I know this exact situation you described, it is very frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Basically the way the fleet actions are now. Is you are out into a fleet action with players your same level.
When I was doing Breaking the Planet before they cranked the re-spawn up ti warp 9.9. I was looking at players in it when it was over and we were all the same level. In DS9 there are admirals in with captains in it. I think Commander 9 or 10 can go in it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
They also seem to be working on the ability to set up private Fleet Actions for Fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Commander 9 - 11 can not get in instances with RAs. I was Commander 10 when I tried to get in the Gorn FA with Klytemnestra (being RA). I thought there is a system like... Lt./Lt. Cmdr 6 / Lt. Cmdr 7/Commander, Cpt/Admiral, but its likely also not the case because I can get in with Captains at Commander. Its confusing, I never know with who I can team... In Big Dig, I was Commander 6 or 7, and met a lot Lt. Commanders in my instance; while gathering a team, also Captains came in; and from the remaining team moving on to Breaking the Planet, it was a captain, a lt. commander and a commander, and we could all beam down to Breaking the Planet in the same instance. No fleet or friend stuff involved, just a random team.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Commander 9 - 11 can not get in instances with RAs. I was Commander 10 when I tried to get in the Gorn FA with Klytemnestra (being RA). I thought there is a system like... Lt./Lt. Cmdr 6 / Lt. Cmdr 7/Commander, Cpt/Admiral, but its likely also not the case because I can get in with Captains at Commander. Its confusing, I never know with who I can team... In Big Dig, I was Commander 6 or 7, and met a lot Lt. Commanders in my instance; while gathering a team, also Captains came in; and from the remaining team moving on to Breaking the Planet, it was a captain, a lt. commander and a commander, and we could all beam down to Breaking the Planet in the same instance. No fleet or friend stuff involved, just a random team.
I said DS9. I have seen an admiral in there with my captains all the time. Fairly sure I saw here in there at when I was commander. When you can first go in DS9 they are 4 levels above you. Breaking the planet was the same level as me. I thought they would be like Breaking the planet. For the Big Dig or space ones I don't know. I don't do the space ones. I quit doing the ground ones Other than DS9 because they cranked up the re-spawns in them. DS9 is the only ground one with a lot of players. Since they set the re-spawn to warp 9.9.