Lt. Commander
# 1 A Request
04-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Something really simple, I expect.

As a lore junkie, I want to equip my crew with Federation equipment. That means hand phasers, and not the civilian compression ones, the standard Starfleet ones. The trouble is, there's only two types, and they're both Exposers. This brings us to my request.

Can we get our beam weapons in two varieties, expose and exploit? My main interest is the Starfleet hand phasers, but I noticed it's the same for disruptors.

Please?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Really? No one else wants this?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I support this and I've seen a good many others that do as well, though all previous campaigns have died out since no devs responded.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-27-2010, 12:25 PM
I think most people build for power and prowess.

I wouldn't mind seeing hand-phasers have an Exploit and an Expose option to help offsel the lower damage output.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I was actually thinking of some kind of an exploit stunner that doesn't vaporize the foe. I mean, as a Federation Officer, I should be trying to kill as little as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Quote:
I was actually thinking of some kind of an exploit stunner that doesn't vaporize the foe. I mean, as a Federation Officer, I should be trying to kill as little as possible.
The Federation is in a time of war, and in war capturing your foes is generally not the way to handle things. What are you going to do with 100 billion Klingon prisoners?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I think all "stun" pistols are expose weapons in the game. Even the antiproton ones. I think that's the design intent that "stun" be expose. And hard hitting exploit weapons are the vaporizing ones.

I also think, generally along that path is where Cryptic arrived at the Phaser Pistols are expose weapons and Phaser Rifles or Compression Pistols are the exploit weapons.

I do know my Plasma Stun pistol looks beautiful. But still only gives me an expose. Luckily my tact officer gets melee exploits so can "double dip."
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Well, I just like the beam weapons better than the bolt weapons, and as I say, being a Starfleet Officer, I should be using a Starfleet phaser. Unfortunately, I can't get a hand phaser with an exploit function. I'd just like to see that made available.

I just thought some kind of non-vaporising exploit phaser would be good and would satisfy those of us unhappy that our Federation characters are wandering around killing everything they see. If they just fall down, we can rationalize that they're stunned, but it's hard when the vaporise before our eyes.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Well, I just like the beam weapons better than the bolt weapons, and as I say, being a Starfleet Officer, I should be using a Starfleet phaser. Unfortunately, I can't get a hand phaser with an exploit function. I'd just like to see that made available.
Um, there's already one...the "compression" hand weapons are exploits. Problem is, you say you don't like 'em.

Still staying in canon, you could use the rifles - both sniper and split beam are exploits - the rest expose.

The assault weapons are definitely not canon - if you use them, auto-targeting is a exploit.

Proof of rifles being canon:

Ex Astris Scientica listing of Starfleet weapons, from TOS onward - you'll see the rifles in the charts at the top.

Basic point is - there are exploits at all levels of weapons - you just have to look for 'em.

Quote:
I just thought some kind of non-vaporising exploit phaser would be good and would satisfy those of us unhappy that our Federation characters are wandering around killing everything they see. If they just fall down, we can rationalize that they're stunned, but it's hard when the vaporise before our eyes.
The way the game is designed, you'll get a vaporize if your critical hit damage exceeds the remaining hitpoints of your NPC target (items don't vaporize). You can get a vaporize in melee with a bat'leth if this happens, for Chrissake - talk about a Wall Banger
- sheesh

Anyway, think you get the idea - what you ask for is already in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Purple space bazookas are canon - why can't we have those?

I'm not joking - Worf had a purple space bazooka in the worst TNG movie (even worse than Generations).