I was thinking about this, and IMO it chould work. Now I am not saying junk STO now, or saying I don't like this game. This is just what I think about from time to time. lol That and what type of pizza I want on a Friday night. lol
Now would you play STO2 if................
1. You had to go thought the ranks starting with a faction school? ( Klingon Hunting grounds, Star Fleet Academey. etc etc. )
2. You didn't get a ship to command until you gained the rank of Captain? (But you can work at a station on the ship until then.)
3. Your Career had you doing jobs around a player or NPC ship?
4. You got to pick if you wanted to be stationed on a Planet, Star Base in space, or a Star Ship?
5. Each Job you did made you do a mini-game, figure out a quzzle, or had you crafting something useful to be used later?
6. You could pick to be in the Military or CIV life?
7. It was set in the New Movies timeline?
So mainly STO2 in my mind would be far different from what we see now, but would you play that game too? Just things I wonder about while at work. lol
I liked the movie as a movie, but can't stand what they did with the story.
SO the return home movie with bring whales back was ok. But to have a differnt time line do to a change isnt, Star trek has been a big part of time travel and what would happen if somthing changed. I love the idea of having a game based under the new time line.
Well at least 1 person likes the new timeline idea for a game setting. lol
Ok let me expand of my points just a bit.
1. Faction Schools - This would be where you learn the game, and you pick your profession of choice. You would even learn to fly shuttles here.
2. No Starship Command until Captain - This would return the Captain's chair to a special place, and would have you focus more of your career path.
3. Your Career - Tactical, Engineering, Science, Medical, and Command.
4. Duty Station - Where you spend most of your time, but limited too. The Run-a-bot is your best friend.
5. Jobs and mini-games - Example of this would be the transporter room lockon, and trying to hold a moving target. All mini-games would be tied to your career, and become harder at higher ranks.
6. Military or CIV - You would pick your path at the start of the game, but could switch if you wanted to later. CIVs would have more of the Crafting and Trade in the game.
7. New Timeline - It would be 10 years after the events of Nero.
Hope this helps a little more.
No. I know you think it would be awesome, but it's unlikely it would actually be any fun at all not being in command from the beginning. but then do we have to use the different ranks as the leveling process?
I would rather not. the system we have now. with certain markers unlock new ships and skills? fine, but none of this commander in charge of a large star ship.