Lt. Commander
I was thinking about this, and IMO it chould work. Now I am not saying junk STO now, or saying I don't like this game. This is just what I think about from time to time. lol That and what type of pizza I want on a Friday night. lol

Now would you play STO2 if................

1. You had to go thought the ranks starting with a faction school? ( Klingon Hunting grounds, Star Fleet Academey. etc etc. )

2. You didn't get a ship to command until you gained the rank of Captain? (But you can work at a station on the ship until then.)

3. Your Career had you doing jobs around a player or NPC ship?

4. You got to pick if you wanted to be stationed on a Planet, Star Base in space, or a Star Ship?

5. Each Job you did made you do a mini-game, figure out a quzzle, or had you crafting something useful to be used later?

6. You could pick to be in the Military or CIV life?

7. It was set in the New Movies timeline?

So mainly STO2 in my mind would be far different from what we see now, but would you play that game too? Just things I wonder about while at work. lol
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Yess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just remove reason 7. New Kirk is too much of a pessimest
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
No, because of reason number 7.

I liked the movie as a movie, but can't stand what they did with the story.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonomahin View Post
No, because of reason number 7.

I liked the movie as a movie, but can't stand what they did with the story.
SO the return home movie with bring whales back was ok. But to have a differnt time line do to a change isnt, Star trek has been a big part of time travel and what would happen if somthing changed. I love the idea of having a game based under the new time line.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
1. You had to go thought the ranks starting with a faction school? ( Klingon Hunting grounds, Star Fleet Academey. etc etc. )

yeah, so long as i'm not just hunting targs or whatever they have in san fransisco like every other mmog out there.

2. You didn't get a ship to command until you gained the rank of Captain? (But you can work at a station on the ship until then.)

this would REALLY depend on how it was implemented, if i'm spending the first few months playing mini games at the behest of other players higher than me then no way in hell.

again depending on implementation, i'd want full autonomy for myself, i don't want to be a tac officer twiddling my thumbs on a ship that does nothing but science missions.

4. You got to pick if you wanted to be stationed on a Planet, Star Base in space, or a Star Ship?

depends on how big their play areas are and how much i can do in those areas. on the whole i'd like the ability to explore whenever i wanted and not be weighed down to one specific area of the game.

5. Each Job you did made you do a mini-game, figure out a quzzle, or had you crafting something useful to be used later?

i'd stab myself in the bollocks with a rusty pitchfork before doing this.

this would be interesting. though there'd need to be something to do as a civvie.

again, rusty pitchfork and bollocks.

In the end a big criteria for those things would be how they were implemented, i could see it being great or an absolute disaster depending on that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post

yeah, so long as i'm not just hunting targs or whatever they have in san fransisco like every other mmog out there.

this would REALLY depend on how it was implemented, if i'm spending the first few months playing mini games at the behest of other players higher than me then no way in hell.

again depending on implementation, i'd want full autonomy for myself, i don't want to be a tac officer twiddling my thumbs on a ship that does nothing but science missions.

depends on how big their play areas are and how much i can do in those areas. on the whole i'd like the ability to explore whenever i wanted and not be weighed down to one specific area of the game.

i'd stab myself in the bollocks with a rusty pitchfork before doing this.

this would be interesting. though there'd need to be something to do as a civvie.

again, rusty pitchfork and bollocks.

In the end a big criteria for those things would be how they were implemented, i could see it being great or an absolute disaster depending on that.
Pretty much my thoughts too.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Well at least 1 person likes the new timeline idea for a game setting. lol

Ok let me expand of my points just a bit.

1. Faction Schools - This would be where you learn the game, and you pick your profession of choice. You would even learn to fly shuttles here.

2. No Starship Command until Captain - This would return the Captain's chair to a special place, and would have you focus more of your career path.

3. Your Career - Tactical, Engineering, Science, Medical, and Command.

4. Duty Station - Where you spend most of your time, but limited too. The Run-a-bot is your best friend.

5. Jobs and mini-games - Example of this would be the transporter room lockon, and trying to hold a moving target. All mini-games would be tied to your career, and become harder at higher ranks.

6. Military or CIV - You would pick your path at the start of the game, but could switch if you wanted to later. CIVs would have more of the Crafting and Trade in the game.

7. New Timeline - It would be 10 years after the events of Nero.

Hope this helps a little more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
My answer is:

"Everything Cormoran said." + "Not if it was made by Cryptic."
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
Well at least 1 person likes the new timeline idea for a game setting. lol

Ok let me expand of my points just a bit.

1. Faction Schools - This would be where you learn the game, and you pick your profession of choice. You would even learn to fly shuttles here.

2. No Starship Command until Captain - This would return the Captain's chair to a special place, and would have you focus more of your career path.

3. Your Career - Tactical, Engineering, Science, Medical, and Command.

4. Duty Station - Where you spend most of your time, but limited too. The Run-a-bot is your best friend.

5. Jobs and mini-games - Example of this would be the transporter room lockon, and trying to hold a moving target. All mini-games would be tied to your career, and become harder at higher ranks.

6. Military or CIV - You would pick your path at the start of the game, but could switch if you wanted to later. CIVs would have more of the Crafting and Trade in the game.

7. New Timeline - It would be 10 years after the events of Nero.

Hope this helps a little more.
No. I know you think it would be awesome, but it's unlikely it would actually be any fun at all not being in command from the beginning. but then do we have to use the different ranks as the leveling process?

I would rather not. the system we have now. with certain markers unlock new ships and skills? fine, but none of this commander in charge of a large star ship.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-27-2010, 02:38 PM
yup yup at least initially and I suspect most trekkies would. We have been buying garbage ST games for better than a decade and will continue to do so in hopes of the one gem that gets it right.