Lt. Commander
# 21
04-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Sorry to see you leave but here is the rub. Cryptic did not rush the game out Paramount did. Viacom which owns paramount and the star trek lable told Cryptic they were taking too long on the game and gave them a deadline. If cryptic was not able to deliver a working game by their deadline, they were going to pull the liscense and the contract and give it to somebody else. This left cryptic with half the time that most larger companies have to develope a descent mmo. That is why we have a game loaded with bugs and lacking in contact. Most of the stuff cryptic is releasing right now was supposed to be part of the original release of the game if they had been given the proper time to develope it. If your going to point blame point it at the accountants at viacom trying to squeeze all the money they can out of their cash cow regardless of the reactions from loyal fans. Come back in a year and you will see how this game should have been from the start.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Yet another example of Canon vs MMO Lore. What you say is boring and redundant is fun an exhilarating for someone else. I hate to revisit the whole Advisory Council thing because I know a troll will jump in the pool, but one of the main concerns was having Canon Lawyers trying to make the game simply an extension of a TV episode or movie. This is a fair concern for the MMO gamers. It's the MMO gamer that is going to help carry the game. The Canon Layers are the ones that are going to contribute to the flavor of the game.

Fact of the matter is that Cryptic was forced to get the game out by a set deadline. Considering the time constraints they have produced a very useful product. Is it stable? Of course not, it's only been 2 months. If you came into STO expecting a perfectly polished and sharpened rapier then yes you are and should be disappointed that what you got was a baseball bat with nails hammered into the fat of the bat. Now if you came in with the understanding that its a new product and there will be stability issues then your are probably less disappointed and sitting at the edge of your seat waiting for the next patch.

Cryptic doesn't have a magic wand that they can just wave around and poof fixes happen. It takes time and money. I am looking at my subscription as an investment in Cryptic. They have shown me their willingness to at least keep me informed. Go to other MMO forums and support sites. Find their calendar of "scheduled" content release dates. By the time you are done searching you will notice that a year has passed and STO has matured.

Am I an STO fanboy, nope not at all. Am I a Trekkie, yep, just not totally geeked out about it. After playing other MMOs I have to say that this is the most fun I've had in quite some time. It is an interesting mix of gamers and trekkies. Both groups are still working towards a common ground of communication; and yes the gamers seem to be the better communicators in instances, sorry it comes form practice.

The more people that leave just 2 months into the release of the game, the less interest Cryptic will have in supporting it. Basic economics.

In short, people need to relax and enjoy the game. Sure it needs work. Provide some new constructive criticism. Buy some Atari stock, hell it's only around a buck and a half. Cryptic is doing a lot of things right and not rushing into it. Help them help you.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-28-2010, 08:50 AM
blah to the federation of fools!

All hail the Terra Empire!
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-28-2010, 08:53 AM
INB4L - Good luck mate, I will be joining you shortly. I haven't played for a month and have been playing Aika Online which is a far better MMO than STO and its free.

For the record, I agree with you whole heartedly. You should make that text into a Generic I am leaving post so we all don't have to re-type the same things. Surely Cryptic should see a pattern with every leaver writing the same stuff over and over but alas they never listen and will move on to there NEXT dated crappy MMO!
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-28-2010, 08:58 AM
You know what mother always says,

"If you try to eat your hands, sooner or later you'll end up exclaining."
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxanna
INB4L - Good luck mate, I will be joining you shortly. I haven't played for a month and have been playing Aika Online which is a far better MMO than STO and its free.

For the record, I agree with you whole heartedly. You should make that text into a Generic I am leaving post so we all don't have to re-type the same things. Surely Cryptic should see a pattern with every leaver writing the same stuff over and over but alas they never listen and will move on to there NEXT dated crappy MMO!
Glad to see you go.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear you've decided to leave, CaptainThraxx. As many people have said already, we have a lot of really significant things in the works, so I highly encourage you to keep a close eye on the development calender, you may be surprised by where the game is at in a few months.

In the mean time, I am closing this thread down now.
Closed Thread