Lt. Commander
# 1 STO for Mac OS X?
04-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Will we ever see a STO client for Mac OS X? It kills me that I can't play STO on my MacBook when I'm away from my home PC. I do a lot of traveling for work and it really cuts into my play time.

Besides, I know a LOT of people who are gamers who own Macs now-a-days, especially with the Macs having Intel processors now. So can we please see a version of STO for the Mac users soon?

Is there anyone else here that would care to have a Mac version of STO? If so, please respond so the Devs can see the interest in this and make it happen.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-28-2010, 02:32 AM
I just bought a new MacBook Pro which now is my only notebook. I'd appreciate a Mac OS X version of the STO client very much.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-28-2010, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarianDrakon View Post
I can't play STO on my MacBook
Why not? I can.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=76799

Wineskin allows you to play STO within OS X. Alternatively, you can play STO over BootCamp. I usually go the BootCamp route as I seem to get more out of my graphics that way. STO does run much more smoothly in WIneskin, though, because you don't run into problems like "OMG WINDOWS DOESN'T UNDERSTAND PROPER RESOURCE ALLOCATION WTF WWWWWWWW!!!"

This depends on your machine's specs, but for me the choice is between performance (Wineskin) and looking pretty (BootCamp).
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-28-2010, 02:57 AM
Official word from the code monkeys is you will have to use wineskin or dual boot.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ht=mac+version

I think in light of dwindling revenues it would be difficult for them to keep to their content schedule and have a mac osx development team in addition. Like the console plans. I think there would have been the initial intention foe a Mac version but that it's now gone by the wayside.
Lt. Commander
# 5 STO on a Mac
04-28-2010, 03:10 AM
I have a completely unmodified mid-2007 iMac (20-inch MA877LL) that quite happily runs STO under Vista via BootCamp, along with titles like Mass Effect 2. It also quite happily runs STO under Snow Leopard via Wineskin, along with titles like Guild Wars. Bliss.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
would be nice to see a mac version. especially now since there is steam for mac! this would be the chance for star trek online to get a foot on mac market. its still new steam on mac. so not much competition.
and apperantly steam made it also easier for games to be ported over to mac.
any comments from the devs?
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMike View Post
would be nice to see a mac version. especially now since there is steam for mac! this would be the chance for star trek online to get a foot on mac market. its still new steam on mac. so not much competition.
and apperantly steam made it also easier for games to be ported over to mac.
any comments from the devs?
Steam did not make it easier to port games over to the mac... it is just that valve rewrote their primary engine to be more compatible with OSX and there are like 10 games that use valve's game engine.

In order to make STO compatible with OSX, they would have to rewrite the whole graphics engine to support OpenGL (I am assuming it is a DirectX game). They would also have to rewrite the launcher and other parts of the game. They would then have to maintain two seperate versions of the game engine and fix bugs in both.
For the total market share of OSX (I think it is like 9-15%, 15% being a really high estimate), it would make to real financial sense to do so. Even less sense with the ability of someone using an Intel Mac to install Windows 7 using bootcamp and then playing STO in windows on their Mac hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avai View Post
Why not? I can.
Wineskin allows you to play STO within OS X. Alternatively, you can play STO over BootCamp. I usually go the BootCamp route as I seem to get more out of my graphics that way. STO does run much more smoothly in WIneskin, though, because you don't run into problems like "OMG WINDOWS DOESN'T UNDERSTAND PROPER RESOURCE ALLOCATION WTF WWWWWWWW!!!"
The reason it runs "more smoothly" in Wineskin rather than in the actual running copy of windows is that Wineskin does not fully support the DirectX API. As it does not, some of the more advanced effects present in STO are not used, which frees up more resources on your video card making the game run more smoothly. When you are playing it in your Windows install through Bootcamp, you get the full DirectX API, which allows you to use many more effects (better shader effects, ambient occlusion, etc), therefor "slowing" the game down while making it look better.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I'd buy an OS X version.

Right now, I have no problems (other than the garbage that is Windows) running STO in Bootcamp. But it would be nice to have a Mac version.

I think some other posters are right- the game's player base is probably too small to support the kind of investment it would take to create a Mac version. But, Apple's market share continues to grow, and it's a lucrative market if you can afford the entry costs, so who knows? Maybe in a couple of years.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Well let's do the maths for a moment.

Mac accounts for around 12% of computer users. Now how many of them are intel based? Let's say almost all of them for arguements sake, so total intel mac of computer users would be 10% of the total computer users.

Now how many of them are gamers? I'd say less then half as Macs aren't really for gaming. You can build a much more powerful gaming machine for a lot less (not wanting to get into Mac vs PC debate here). So total of 5% of all computer users.

Financially it's really not all that feasbile. When Apple perhaps start dropping their prices to a more reasonable level and sales increased then would be the time. For now however it would not be.

And steam does not make it easier to port to Mac...seriously, rather a daft statement that shows absolutely zero knowledge how an OS, or a game, works.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
Official word from the code monkeys is you will have to use wineskin or dual boot.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ht=mac+version

I think in light of dwindling revenues it would be difficult for them to keep to their content schedule and have a mac osx development team in addition. Like the console plans. I think there would have been the initial intention foe a Mac version but that it's now gone by the wayside.

Exactly. I'm sure if STO had any sort of favorable reception, they would have been very open to the idea of OSX versions, as well as console. The fact is, when you've produced a completely shoddy product, nobody really wants you to replicate said shoddy product for various platforms.