Lt. Commander
# 11
06-07-2010, 06:12 AM
If you're doing the maths, please follow through:

- Even if you're talking about 10% (which is a very low estimate), you're still talking about tens of millions of people. Let's assume worst case, and go further than the rather spurious 5% figure, and say that there are only a few hundred thousand Mac users who would be interested in STO. How many would you require exist before you should market to them?

- To say that Macs aren't made for gaming is nonsense. They are all-purpose machines, capable of handling all types of software. PCs are not made for gaming, either: the only way you can make this claim valid is to point at a box specifically put together for purposes of gaming and ignore all the other machines that aren't.

- A large portion of Mac users are in fact gamers. Consider all the Mac users who play WoW: they make up an well-sized portion of the population, and Blizzard certainly thinks that they are valuable to the extent that they create a Mac-native version of the game and support it very well.

- To say that Apple needs to drop its prices in order to gain a larger market share is nonsense: first, despite a higher initial price, Apple's share has been increasing for several years and shows no sign of slowing. Second, Mac users represent a different demographic than PC users: they have more disposable income on average, and are quite willing to spend it.

So yes, it makes sense to market to Mac users. You are correct, however, in saying that it is not financially feasible- for Cryptic. While a profitable Mac market exists, the problem is the investment in time, money, and people that Cryptic would have to make, and it is clear that the company is unable to do so at this time.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-08-2010, 03:04 PM
@joe agree with you 100%
just a little info for all, check out steam stats. steam is out for mac for close to 1 month. and it already got 9% of all steam users to be mac (all different versions put together 10.6 -10.6.3)
windows 7 alone has around 15% if i remember correctly, off course put all windows versions together and u have way more. WinXP alone was around 50% mark.
so please say once more there is no market for mac users. 9% is huge in 1 month. and not every mac users knows yet that steam is out for mac.
Blizzard also understand that mac is not do be underestimated and are producing dual platform. Starcraft 2 comes out for Windows and OSX.

anyway, if you look also on the steam website you will see that they claim themself that using the steam tools makes it easier to port games to mac.
apperantly steam made specific tools to make this happen. yes its true as a developer u still need to make changes in the source code but apperantly its now easier.
anyway i hope star trek online would come to mac. but i do agree with one other poster who said the quality of STO is not that high. SO yeah STO needs to get better then Mac has a chance :/
but one can still dream and hope!
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMike View Post

anyway, if you look also on the steam website you will see that they claim themself that using the steam tools makes it easier to port games to mac.
apperantly steam made specific tools to make this happen. yes its true as a developer u still need to make changes in the source code but apperantly its now easier.
anyway i hope star trek online would come to mac. but i do agree with one other poster who said the quality of STO is not that high. SO yeah STO needs to get better then Mac has a chance :/
but one can still dream and hope!
Steam, of course, has never made stuff up for marketing purposes....
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Apple sold 3.36 million Macs in Q1 2010... estimates I've seen say there are around 25 to 30 million Mac users, and is slowly increasing.

While the total Market Share (% of machines sold) might not look favorably for Macs... the total user numbers do. even if it was 25 million, and you could only get 0.1% to buy the game... thats still 25,000 purchases... thats quite a bit.

Is that enough to warrant a native port? well we don;t have all the full numbers to know for sure. Is that enough to warrant a Wine/Cider port? Yes.... more than likely. It would allow them to keep 1 codebase for the game, with Mac modifications going in their Wine source, and not the game itself. It would take some work making the needed modifications to make the game work really good... but its much cheaper than making a native port at this point in time. If I had to guess, 25,000 people (a low ball estimate) is still a huge percentage to current STO customers.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
some interesting infos on mac for gaming from steam!
yeah its true when it comes to graphics, macs could be better equipped but all the other stats are pretty clear points for mac.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/m...cs-on-average/