Lt. Commander
# 21
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
i'm not sure i see the need for this thread.
I'm sure that I do see the need of this Thread.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
I want magic flying ponies too.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
I see the need.
There's already a ton of threads on this topic.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I for one am quite happy with dstahl plan for improving ship maneuverability. Having increased pitch angle with preset automatic maneuvers sounds amazing.

I can see problems with adding a full 3d system with dorsal and ventral shields. And just the pitch angle increase sounds good, but it would still be amazing to be able to perform maneuvers like immellman's, rolls, and corkscrew's at the touch of a button.

I really hope the devs decide to implement that system. The devs have flat out refused to put in a full 3d system, due to the complications that would ensue. This plan is an amazing compromise on their part.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Oberion
You are arguing about something that

a) they have said strongly TIME AND TIME AGAIN they are not going to do
and
b) something that they have already actually play tested with people and have had NEGATIVE RESULTS

A bunch of forumites answering a poll (which will only be answered by people that have a problem with it anyway) is not going to change the fact that they already tested this and average players did not like it.

Let it go already.
Exactly! It's like my kids asking for something over and over when I have already said, "no."

And I love it when folks back it up with "we are flyng in space." lol. No we're not. We're playing a video game in our homes. I looked out the window and checked and I was in my house... not flying in space. <smirks>.

A desire for any kind of claimed of "realism" is a fallacy here. Realism would be intertial and silent (which would be very un-Star-Trek-like... in fact unlike most SciFi we see, today). This is fiction and, in fiction, things are not realistic... hence the word... "fiction." (I can't help but kinda laugh as I even write this) So we end up choosing one form of fiction or another & the Dev's chose one that, as well as they figured on the time and budget they had, fits the TV Show and movies and said "no" to this request already. But, again, it's like my kids... still saying "but pleeeaase" over and over and over and... (still using the exact same rerasons that I already said no to). <rolls eyes>
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artorious-Jonah View Post
Exactly! It's like my kids asking for something over and over when I have already said, "no."

And I love it when folks back it up with "we are flyng in space." lol. No we're not. We're playing a video game in our homes. I looked out the window and checked and I was in my house... not flying in space. <smirks>.

A desire for any kind of claimed of "realism" is a fallacy here. Realism would be intertial and silent (which would be very un-Star-Trek-like... in fact unlike most SciFi we see, today). This is fiction and, in fiction, things are not realistic... hence the word... "fiction." (I can't help but kinda laugh as I even write this) So we end up choosing one form of fiction or another & the Dev's chose one that, as well as they figured on the time and budget they had, fits the TV Show and movies and said "no" to this request already. But, again, it's like my kids... still saying "but pleeeaase" over and over and over and... (still using the exact same rerasons that I already said no to). <rolls eyes>
Yes, they have said no on more than one occasion and even went as far as to say a full 3d system will never happen, and yes they have play tested it only to find that the testers didn't like it, but that still doesn't mean a protest is meaningless. If Cryptic was up against 80% of the games population that wanted full 3d movement and they were afraid many of them would quit if it weren't added, they would likely add it to tribble to allow the masses to decide for themselves, instead of risking a mass exodus of players.

That being said, I love the devs compromise the increase in pitch to 85 degrees would be a nice addition, and the addition of thrusters and preset auto maneuvers could make the game truly amazing. The devs have offered up a good compromise here. We should accept it, rather than protesting for full 3d movement that play testers have already said is disorienting and doesn't work in the game. You wouldn't be to happy if the devs wasted development time making a full 3d system, only to find you didn't like it and want it to be removed, would you? There goes a month of development time down the drain. Accept this compromise.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-28-2010, 02:05 PM
8 and please can we have no more of the whuinign for 'true 3D movement' this is not EVE or Star Wars.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I like the current system, but I agree the +/- 85 degrees is a good compromise.

I also agree the folks who want full 3D need to just let it go.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-28-2010, 02:08 PM
They also said no to an "optional" DP, but the people who complained got it in the end, and everyone of the forum community members who are the players of STO, deserve to have their say on this topic, not just the minority, but the entire player base.

Also, don't give me any of that only EVE and Star Wars or Babylon 5 ships can have full 3D movement in Space, as that is absolute non-sence.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
They also said no to an "optional" DP, but the people who complained got it in the end, and everyone of the forum community members who are the players of STO, deserve to have their say on this topic, not just the minority, but the entire player base.
Optional DP doesn't change the Star Trek feel of the maneuverability system.
Closed Thread