Lt. Commander
Here it is!

I just wish I could have produced the video in a higher quality resolution, perhaps one day I will update it. After all the most time consuming part of making this video, was watching every episode of TNG and locating the clips I needed. So please feel free to let me know what you think of it via the forums or YouTube.

Also, it's been just over 4 months since I finished and uploaded the last video, although I was homeless for two of those months and without the internet for 3 of those 4 months.

Deep Space Nine is next on the list (Which should not take as long)!

Btw, I just want to let StormShade know, that this thread (including the video links within) has never been intended to offend any player or employee of Cryptic.

It was originally created to be as fair as possible to all players, as I did and still believe that Cryptic has not given the player base the opportunity to voice there opinions officially on this topic.

I know dstahl has mentioned a compromise could be in the works, so I would like you and the team to watch the videos that I link into this thread and use them for inspiration to improve STO, thank you.

The STO team is also welcome to comment on the videos.
Lt. Commander
# 332
10-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Server down for maintenance and a new patch, so while it is down, place your vote, then post here stating why you chose the option that you voted for, voice your opinion on this topic.

Also, please consider watching the two videos I have linked in the OP, and compare what you see with what you can do in STO, more videos coming soon, enjoy.

Cheers!
Lt. Commander
# 333
10-15-2010, 04:10 AM
I am for full 3D movement.

Thank you for the videos. They were great.

Are you planning to make more of them?

There are a lot of full 3D ship movement scenes in DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and even Remastered TOS.
Lt. Commander
# 334
10-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracknell
Are you planning to make more of them?

There are a lot of full 3D ship movement scenes in DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and even Remastered TOS.
Thank you, I am happy you like the videos.

I am planning on making more yes, a new video featuring scenes from DS9 is currently in the works, but the creation of the videos is very time consuming. I have been planning to get videos completed that feature scenes from all of those Star Trek series that ou mention, except for TOS.

I didn't think there would be any examples of 3D starship movement in any TOS episodes, could you possibly name one?

Do you know if there are more than one episode of TOS that features examples of 3D starship movement?
Lt. Commander
# 335
10-15-2010, 04:37 AM
The few remastered TOS episodes that spring to mind that do feature full 3D movement are "The Ultimate Computer". That is the one with the war games and the other four Constitution-class ships that try to take out the Enterprise because of the faulte M-5 computer.

"Where no man has gone before" with the galactic barrier shows some cool CGI 3D movement inside the cloud.

"Space Seed" would be another one and there are several more. "The Immunity Syndrome" The one with the flying pizzas that attach itself onto someones back to sting them. Kirk's brother died in that episode. Sulu is flying some cool maneuvers to release the sattelites into orbit.

And this is just of the top of my head. There is much more.
Lt. Commander
# 336
10-15-2010, 04:55 AM
I want to know why ships being 'upside down' is a problem in the game?

As long as YOUR view remains 'right side up' relative to the position of the ship, I really don't see why this is in any way, shape or form a problem. It's not like ships have to dock with each other or stations.
Lt. Commander
# 337
10-15-2010, 05:23 AM
as we've all seen, the devs gave their answer and it's been copy/pasted dozens of times. 85d and maybe some Z axis thrusters is about the best they will give us. when ever they get around to that, i'll take it and say thank you. they said no to full 3d. they said it as firmly and politely as they can. This is not a green eggs and ham book, you will not get them to change their minds if you ask them enough times, it's their game, this is the way they want it. If that's the deal breaker for you, deuces.

SINcerely,
DIAF

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 338
10-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Well I voted for option 5....

I think what I found most amusing about the videos is that under the right circumstances, most of what you see within them can be replicated within the STO flight engine as it stands now. I can pull all sorts of crazy maneuvers using a ship's inertia.. In fact, looking at the two videos as they currently stand, in my opinion, they actually support keeping the current flight system, but adding the z-axis thrusters, and maybe increasing the pitch.
Lt. Commander
# 339
10-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
The reason this thread exists is to determine which Starship movement system the majority of players would like to use
Since the majority of players don't bother with the forums you won't find that out anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 340
10-15-2010, 06:33 AM
It just seems some topics are immune to locks. Here we have a perfect example. Its a poll topic. Against the rules. Its been necroed back from the dead at least 3 different times. Against the rules. Its full of flames and hostile posts. And still its here.

Not sure what its going to take but can we get this one locked already. Its long past due.
Closed Thread