Lt. Commander
# 431
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
The canon fire will indeed magically home in on the target, but my math is built upon the fact that cannons have a 22.5 degree inclination firing arc combined with your 60 degree pitch. So if you travel that distance out, when you turn and face them they will be within your firing arc.

EDIT: if you're going to try recreating it, try replaying one of the older missions where you need to shoot asteroids (I forget which one, something with a transwarp gate in Romulan space?) Then that way at least the target will be stationary and you won't have enemies to deal with.
Lt. Commander
# 432
01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Interesting that option 1 got the most votes, being at least 52%. The players couldn't *possibly* want free flight, could they?
Lt. Commander
# 433
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
I vote: Keep what we have already, no modifications needed or wanted.
Lt. Commander
# 434
01-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizixMan View Post
The canon fire will indeed magically home in on the target, but my math is built upon the fact that cannons have a 22.5 degree inclination firing arc combined with your 60 degree pitch. So if you travel that distance out, when you turn and face them they will be within your firing arc.

EDIT: if you're going to try recreating it, try replaying one of the older missions where you need to shoot asteroids (I forget which one, something with a transwarp gate in Romulan space?) Then that way at least the target will be stationary and you won't have enemies to deal with.
Good idea...I'll try it with that mission although low level Rommies aren't a threat but being stationary is a must for it to be a real examination.
Lt. Commander
# 435
01-10-2011, 01:50 PM
BTW AZSteel, you may also want to try a second test case with hitting Evasive Manoeuvres and/or using Engine Batteries; it trivializes the whole vertical positioning issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKitsune View Post
Interesting that option 1 got the most votes, being at least 52%. The players couldn't *possibly* want free flight, could they?
MKitsune, I wouldn't trust the poll results in the slightest. I've noted several reasons (both from common sense and from someone who has studied statistics gathering) as to why the poll results are invalid. Perhaps the poll and its results could indicate that further discussion is warranted (which we are doing) but it's not something that should be used to justify implementation.
Lt. Commander
# 436
01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizixMan View Post
BTW AZSteel, you may also want to try a second test case with hitting Evasive Manoeuvres and/or using Engine Batteries; it trivializes the whole vertical positioning issue.

MKitsune, I wouldn't trust the poll results in the slightest. I've noted several reasons (both from common sense and from someone who has studied statistics gathering) as to why the poll results are invalid. Perhaps the poll and its results could indicate that further discussion is warranted (which we are doing) but it's not something that should be used to justify implementation.
Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. It's still an impressive amount, though.
Closed Thread