Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Also, suggestion: Fire extinguisher was used once in the game to put out fires. It seems to do random things to existing fires within the game, such as plasma fire (as it does special-base damage that affects persisting AoE environmental hazards). Fire extinguisher should then be used as a device with limited uses, and decrease the amount of time left on [Burned]-based DoT effects. This fathomably increases this items use (and gives you a reason to equip them).

I like the idea of adding new procs, and situational abilities for each weapon. Offering special, energy-based attacks can be extended to offering new environmental damage. Blowing out the plasma coolant lines in a starship (or water coolant lines, especially for "hot" water, for older ships) can cause serious damage, but also put the team at risk if they aren't smart.

Offering up to this:
Electrical
5% random: Personal shield failure x seconds, hold x seconds, weapon malfunction x seconds.
Recharge: Recharge shield as per light shield charge or remove weapon malfunction debuff.
Situational advantage: Blowing out specific conduits or consoles can debuff enemies, though randomly. Exposed electrical current (electrical shock) can be used to "jump start" equipment.

Electrical can also be related to "magnetic pulse" weapons. This is established in canon as older-style. But, no two factions or races are at the same technology level. It also can lead to "electrical storm" and other environmental hazards.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybole
Also, suggestion: Fire extinguisher was used once in the game to put out fires. It seems to do random things to existing fires within the game, such as plasma fire (as it does special-base damage that affects persisting AoE environmental hazards). Fire extinguisher should then be used as a device with limited uses, and decrease the amount of time left on [Burned]-based DoT effects. This fathomably increases this items use (and gives you a reason to equip them).

I like the idea of adding new procs, and situational abilities for each weapon. Offering special, energy-based attacks can be extended to offering new environmental damage. Blowing out the plasma coolant lines in a starship (or water coolant lines, especially for "hot" water, for older ships) can cause serious damage, but also put the team at risk if they aren't smart.

Offering up to this:
Electrical
5% random: Personal shield failure x seconds, hold x seconds, weapon malfunction x seconds.
Recharge: Recharge shield as per light shield charge or remove weapon malfunction debuff.
Situational advantage: Blowing out specific conduits or consoles can debuff enemies, though randomly. Exposed electrical current (electrical shock) can be used to "jump start" equipment.

Electrical can also be related to "magnetic pulse" weapons. This is established in canon as older-style. But, no two factions or races are at the same technology level. It also can lead to "electrical storm" and other environmental hazards.
I love the idea of destructible or hazardous environmental items. I'll compile a list from canon sources (i.e. warp plasma coolant, etc.) This adds another layer to examining surroundings.

As it is, Hard and Elite force you to prioritize your targets - finding a way to position yourself to exploit environmental resources would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I love the idea of destructible or hazardous environmental items. I'll compile a list from canon sources (i.e. warp plasma coolant, etc.) This adds another layer to examining surroundings.

As it is, Hard and Elite force you to prioritize your targets - finding a way to position yourself to exploit environmental resources would be great.
Currently, we attack the higher ranking officers because they carry a higher damage potential than lower-level characters. Sometimes, you don't need to. By destroying group morale, the lower-ranking ones will suffer a morale debuff (that reduces their damage and resistance considerably), meaning that lower-ranking enemies could be made more a threat, shifting tactics in that direction too.

As it stands, the game needs more environmental factors. I don't want a fully deplorable battlefield (too many different things to track), but having situational elements would definitely be more immersive. Federation captains are generally resourceful, so they tend to aim at the points that'd cause the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time--why risk the resources of your own crew, after all?
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybole
Currently, we attack the higher ranking officers because they carry a higher damage potential than lower-level characters. Sometimes, you don't need to. By destroying group morale, the lower-ranking ones will suffer a morale debuff (that reduces their damage and resistance considerably), meaning that lower-ranking enemies could be made more a threat, shifting tactics in that direction too.

As it stands, the game needs more environmental factors. I don't want a fully deplorable battlefield (too many different things to track), but having situational elements would definitely be more immersive. Federation captains are generally resourceful, so they tend to aim at the points that'd cause the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time--why risk the resources of your own crew, after all?
Sounds great - I'm still working on a list.

The great thing is that environmental objects have been used in Champions (though I doubt our BOFFs are going to be hurling cars and street lamps).

However, environment objects either helping or hindering players is a great move to enhance ground-combat.

Just as ground combat is as much about what you use, against who you attack, and how well you aim - it is also about where you're at.

STO has a good starting point as it wouldn't require drastic redesign to make it feel more immersive.

I can see Ground Combat improved without something as earth shattering as the CU (and the CU wasn't even a good re-design for SWG).
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-01-2010, 10:31 PM
It's not as though combat in STO is boring--it's just lackluster. It doesn't do anything different that other MMOs do. Attempting to redesign the system would be a tremendous undertaking, one that could lead to disastrous effects. The whole point of this suggestion thread is to make combat interesting using the existing framework. And for that, one needs a good imagination and the ability to be flexible (to be able to suggest things that use the existing engine, for one, is difficult--one has to be willing to have ideas shot down or warped into the existing framework.) Most of my suggestions thus far have been with that intent.

To add to that, there are a few ideas that may not be too workable (given existing circumstances within the game engine).
  1. Flashlight utilization. This requires some levels to be dark. I mean, pitch black, where the only source of light is from the character. This, however, has the drawback of almost being disorienting--it would also be better for such missions to involve only one or two characters, as opposed to the full team. This can also give characters with specific traits or racial buffs (say, 30 m. thermal vision, 30m. motion detection, etc.) an advantage--would be great for exceptionally creepy missions. Problem is that lower-end computers have trouble using light sources and shadows effectively, making that a huge selling point.
  2. Team coordination, squad alignment, etc.--be able to designate team members to have different formations, selecting "guard target", "provide cover fire for," etc. This allows teammates to draw cover (i.e., generate aggro) while attempting to resuscitate a fallen ally, for instance. Rather than be a skill, it's a command given as a higher officer. Issues that might be found with this idea is that it might cause too much clutter.
  3. Synergetic abilities, or meta-abilities. Synergetic abilities are ground abilities that are generated by two separate bridge officer abilities when both contain a high-enough level. Such abilities have a shared cooldown with the bridge officers' shared ability. For instance, Stasis Field + [Any] Grenade can be combined when both the Tactical and Science officer have rank 7 in each, granting the ability, Stasis Grenade, causing an AoE fragile hold + non-interfering effect of grenade ability. Stasis Grenade has a long cooldown (say, 5 minutes), and forces a 20 second cooldown on Stasis Field and [Any] Grenade (this is just an example). Problem with this is that it can cause balance issues (Stasis Grenade would be almost OP if used effectively), and create a plethora of skills--which is both good, but also bad.
  4. Tricorders be actual equipment. This would be difficult and more gear-oriented, but having different types of tricorders that provide skill buffs (such as deflector dishes do already) would make the game just a little more interesting.

In addition, more circumstantial abilities might help. Things that aren't universal would be a bonus, but the existing ability system renders such ideas slightly impossible--Synergetic abilities might alleviate that, but again, could be difficult to balance. Again, the aforementioned suggestions are bad ones, but pitching them could lead to productive discussion that improves upon them.

I'd also like to see what other people are suggesting!
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
This might help (especially when I'm trying to heal boffs and the camera keeps moving):
Isometric Camera Setting for ground.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
New camera settings, definitely.

Also, bump post.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Improve ground combat ?

Easy:

1) Weapons can no longer be switched in combat - No Z switching anymore
2) All weapons will come with 4 attacks - 1 normal, 2 Expose, 3 Exploit, 4 Melee
3) Combine existing weapons into suitable combinations - Sniper Rifle + Pulse Rifle

Going to happen ?

Nah. Its so much easier to have the stupid Z switching between Exploit / Expose.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
@J-Sheridan.

Seems this is motivated by an aggravating complaint (For the most part, I've never really did the swap weapon trick--didn't think about it until you mentioned it. I prefer high damage than situational damage, but that's just me).

I agree with 1)., equipment swaps should be out of combat. Adding in the option for kit swapping out of combat sweetens the deal. Giving each weapon their own expose/exploit sort of makes me nervous, it reduces the amount of teamwork, which I think was the intent behind the whole expose/exploit mechanic--any way we can improve this?

Not sure about 3--by that, I mean have no opinion. I'd like to see more varied weapons, than simple templates for weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Weapon switching IS the highest damage.

2 - Expose Attack
Enemy Exposed
Z - Switch to Exploit
2 - Enemy vaporised
Z
Expose
Z
2 - Vaporised

Repeat.

Unless more powers come with higher chances of exposure then removing the ability to switch would end in disaster. Its going to be mountains of people running around with Split beams so they can vaporise 3 enemies.

The only way to streamline the ground combat interface is to restrict the system to a single weapon that can expose AND exploit. Not only does it allow weapon switching to be removed it actually lives up to lore with weapons having multiple settings.
Closed Thread