Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Improve ground combat ?

Easy:

1) Weapons can no longer be switched in combat - No Z switching anymore
2) All weapons will come with 4 attacks - 1 normal, 2 Expose, 3 Exploit, 4 Melee
3) Combine existing weapons into suitable combinations - Sniper Rifle + Pulse Rifle

Going to happen ?

Nah. Its so much easier to have the stupid Z switching between Exploit / Expose.
That sounds like a great improvement and something simpler than having to weapon switch.

I'm not sure about #3 but 1 & 2 are definitely good ideas - would it diminish the variety of items though?
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Weapon switching IS the highest damage.
Sorry, I meant highest DPS for the standard attack (I really didn't give expose/exploit too much thought til you mentioned it). What I'm more surprised about, however, is that these are solely weapon-based effects. No, I do not want see abilities that force an expose on enemy players, but an ability that causes you to be exposed (but not in a "stunned" sort of way), making people pulling aggro and cover far more important in some instances.

Varying the depth of tactics in this game can be done easily--it just requires tweaking the right variables and giving us the right options.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybole
Sorry, I meant highest DPS for the standard attack (I really didn't give expose/exploit too much thought til you mentioned it). What I'm more surprised about, however, is that these are solely weapon-based effects. No, I do not want see abilities that force an expose on enemy players, but an ability that causes you to be exposed (but not in a "stunned" sort of way), making people pulling aggro and cover far more important in some instances.

Varying the depth of tactics in this game can be done easily--it just requires tweaking the right variables and giving us the right options.
Options would help. Even at RA5 - it feels like you have less control, despite your BOFFs having more powers apiece.

There's a great base but we can make the expose/exploit have additive effects based on damage type.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Love the way you formatted and colored your post! Reminds me of the hacking in Mass Efffect 2.

(also placing this in the feedback forums for Combat, to ensure that the devs who are looking for feedback on Combat find it)
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Destra
Love the way you formatted and colored your post! Reminds me of the hacking in Mass Efffect 2.

(also placing this in the feedback forums for Combat, to ensure that the devs who are looking for feedback on Combat find it)
I can see the resemblance with the purple quotes. Everything after that was a taco salad.

That said, I'm nearly done finalizing a list of randomly placed objects that could fit canon as environmental hazards.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Binded key 1 to klick both buttons and I started to enjoy the ground combat alot more, instead of constantly hitting the 1 key I was clicking the mouse button while moving around freely, then I thought about the other skills and began wondering if there is a cycle skills command but there's none.

So could you devs think about adding an optional cycle skills feature, holding down your right mouse button while scrolling the mouse wheel would cycle trough your skill tray, Ctrl+ could be the second row and Shift+ the third. Also needed is a small highlight indicator showing which skill is selected.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieff View Post
Binded key 1 to klick both buttons and I started to enjoy the ground combat alot more, instead of constantly hitting the 1 key I was clicking the mouse button while moving around freely, then I thought about the other skills and began wondering if there is a cycle skills command but there's none.

So could you devs think about adding an optional cycle skills feature, holding down your right mouse button while scrolling the mouse wheel would cycle trough your skill tray, Ctrl+ could be the second row and Shift+ the third. Also needed is a small highlight indicator showing which skill is selected.
That'd be fun. However, my mouse wheel broke on my Razr mouse. That's the price of spending time on the forums.

I think a contextual menu with right click might help (also: Isometric Perspective Cameras).
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Any other ideas you guys could come up with?

Here are some destructible Environmental Hazards:
Phaser Coolant (Purple, Gas)
x% chance hold (stun) for x seconds
x phaser damage

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Phaser_coolant

Plasma Coolant (Green, Gas)
X% chance knocback x feet
X plasma damage

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Plasma_coolant

Graviton Stabilizer Plating
X% chance knockback x feet
x kinetic damage

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gravity_plating

Cryogenic Stasis Units
X% chance hold (frozen) for x seconds
X cryogenic damage

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Cryonics_satellite
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Well, it would defiantly make ground combat a bit more dynamic.

Plus:

Ooohh...colors!
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Good thread - here's some things that a fleetmate and I were discussing earlier.

1. Cover. Think about games like Mass Effect, or Gears of War, or other FPS-ish titles you've played recently. Many of them have cover mechanics. This is where your character can hunker down behind a rock or against a corner and make themselves harder to hit, while still firing at the enemy.

It hit me earlier today while doing some exploration missions - one of the huge differences between the game's ground combat, and the shows/movies, is the use or even presence of cover. If you go watch some of the firefights in any of the shows, you'll see people ducking behind things, popping up to fire shots, and so on. But in game, when you're on the ground fighting, more often than not you have essentially a big flat field, with maybe a tree or a building to break line of sight. So firefights more often than not end up with NPCs running around in random directions and shooting at you, and you crouching and shooting back, and sometimes some of them running up and meleeing you. It's chaotic, a bit nonsensical, and frankly, not very challenging as long as you can out-dps the other guys and stay alive. There's no tactics. No throwing grenades to flush them out of hiding, no flanking, no keeping them pinned down with suppressing fire while your officers rush in.

A proper cover system would make all of this possible. Maps, instead of being mostly open like they are today, could be littered with collidable objects that function as partial cover - your character could run up to an object and hit a button to "get into cover" Bridge officers and enemy NPCs could do the same. This turns ground combat into a much more tactical game than it is right now. The only enemies that maybe shouldn't do this are the borg, because they're whole goal in combat is to get close and hit you with nanites.

2. Enemy tactics. On most ground maps, if you see a patrol of five enemies - you will fight a patrol of five enemies. That's it. Depending who you're fighting, they might have a medical officer that tries to revive them, but that's about it. There's very few places in the game where NPC enemies ever have any real tricks. But imagine if they did. Imagine if sometimes, enemy commanders would wait in ambush, or call in reinforcements. Think about the possibilities there - you'd have to try to take down that commander quickly, before they could bring in fresh troops.

3. Morale. As mentioned previously, most ground maps are big open spaces (or connected big open spaces). You fight the enemies where they stand, they fall, and you continue on until the next group of enemies. But what if, when fighting enemies, at a certain point in the battle they decided to retreat, and hook up with the next group? What if they sent a runner during the fight to go get the next group and bring them to your location? All of this might make abilities like stasis field or suppressing fire far more important in ground combat.

Anyway those are just a few things we came up with this morning. Perhaps it will add to the discussion
Closed Thread