Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
Jam sensors seems pretty limited...
Science Team takes a back seat to STII
Tachyon? Not super helpful because science ships are so weak on weapons anyway.
Tractor Beam?
Hazard Emitters?

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I think it would depend on what build you are, what rank you are, what ship you're in and your role if it's PVP rather than PVE. I just hit Science Commander 2 in a Science vessel. My lead Science had TB I, SCI Team II and Scramble Sensors II. Depending on whether I'm playing solo or looking for some sort of group play, I have several SCI ensigns that I switch out depending on the situation. If I'm going solo, I'll choose one that has Polarize Shields or Hazard Emitters (if I'm going up against Romulans with Plasma Torpedos). If going for team play I will choose one that has Transfer Shields, Hazard Emitters or even another SCI Team I.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
You're right about the rotation. On my other characters I maintain several of my officers that I rotate for different purposes.

But what I intended to ask is for the FIRST Sci Bridge officer. The one I'm on working with during the Lt ranks when there's only one power to use. At this stage I would think that Tachyon or Jam Sensors would work best...maybe Tractor Beam? Hazard doesn't seem as relevant till you starting hitting Romulans and need to clear plasma fires. Sci Team and Polarize Hull, ditto. Sci Team has the shield benefit but at Level 1 it's not very big and without a Tractor Beam-using opponent I don't think PH is as useful.

So for that first slot...Tachyon? Jam Sensors? Tractor Beam?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Ah, I see.

I personally started my first SCI ensign off with Tachyon Beam I and followed with SCI Team II. My lead Engineer started with EP/Shields and used that as my low tier "heal" so that I could start SCI Team at II at the next tier. I felt that the Tachyon Beam would be a more useful tool at the early stages as it was easy enough to stay alive.

I've never used the Tractor Beam and was dissapointed with Jam Sensors. I led off the second SCI ensign with Polarize Hull and did find that to be quite useful. It buffs against energy weapns (beamso) and breaks/prevents tractor beams.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I am a HUGE fan of Hazard Emitters... my god the healing.

I am an Engineer though and have all the appropriate skills to make all HE skills redonkulous. My Captain cruiser heals for 400 hull dmg a second and gives a nice resistance buff... AND puts out any fires or hazard debuffs. It's a freakin sweet skill.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Honestly, theres no real "best" skill, it really depends on your play style.

Science Team 1
Polarized Hull 1
Hazzard Emitters 1
Jam Sensors 1

They all have importance. For instance, I use Polarized Hull 1 to get my Cruiser out of Tractor Beams. (Which is frequent with the Borg).
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2010, 08:41 AM
At low level, combat is so easy that I don't think there's much point in slotting defensive abilities. Instead, you should slot offensive abilities that help you get through the grindy "Defeat xxx squadrons (0/5)" missions (which you spend about half your time doing while levelling) faster.

That pretty much narrows it down to Tachyon Beam I or Tractor Beam I. Of these, I would say Tractor Beam I is marginally better.

Eventually, you can retrain your Science BOff with something like Polarize Hull, Hazard Emitters or Science Team I before tackling STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
At low level, combat is so easy that I don't think there's much point in slotting defensive abilities. Instead, you should slot offensive abilities that help you get through the grindy "Defeat xxx squadrons (0/5)" missions (which you spend about half your time doing while levelling) faster.

That pretty much narrows it down to Tachyon Beam I or Tractor Beam I. Of these, I would say Tractor Beam I is marginally better.

Eventually, you can retrain your Science BOff with something like Polarize Hull, Hazard Emitters or Science Team I before tackling STFs.
This could be very different with Season 1.1 here and people that use Advanced setting or higher.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixace View Post
This could be very different with Season 1.1 here and people that use Advanced setting or higher.
Not to derail the discussion, and to each their own, but I think levelling on any setting other than Normal is a very unwise and counter-productive decision. I sort of assumed most people would come to that conclusion without stating it.

I realize some may think about doing it "for the challenge", but consider that there are challenges waiting at RA5 (and more being added) and if you level on a hard ( = slow) setting, you are just delaying the time you will be able to do them. The rewards at RA5 are "keepers". The rewards you are earning while taking at least 2-3 times as long to level at Lietenant -> Captain are throwaways. Since the injury system is a cash-sink, you will also probably be broke when you arrive at RA5, if you try levelling on Advanced/Elite. Rather than spending time equipping your RA5, you will be trying to avoid getting one-shotted and two-shotted during all the grindy missions that are needed to level, and getting loot that won't pay for the injury/repair costs.

You are right, of course, but that sort of proves what I'm saying: if you have to worry about defenses and trying to stay alive, not only will you have to grind through much tougher mobs, which would take a lot longer in any case, but you will have to do it with fewer offensive tools, making the problem even worse.

Again, everyone is obviously entitled to play the game as they wish, but having levelled two toons to the cap already, and another one on the way, the last thing *I* would want to do is drag out the process and make it more tedious than it already is. I have enjoyed playing on Advanced at RA5, so far. But as a junior officer trying to get to the next grade, next rank and next ship? No thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf359
Jam sensors seems pretty limited...
Science Team takes a back seat to STII
Tachyon? Not super helpful because science ships are so weak on weapons anyway.
Tractor Beam?
Hazard Emitters?

Thoughts?
Opinion?

Science Team I or Hazard Emitters I