Lt. Commander
and I feel fine.
That's right, the end of the world will soon be upon us. First CERN, and now this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I think that we should worry more about the fact that a giant asteroid is going to hit sometime soon...or a massive volcano explode soon.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-28-2010, 07:37 PM
That's a fusion reactor. I've been waiting for those. supposedly much safer than our old fission reactors. All my favorite sci-fi have fusion reactors, the Enterprise D had several.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-28-2010, 08:54 PM
My favorite time traveling DeLorian had one too I think. Eventually. I remember Doc pouring soda into it and saying it was the new power source.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Ohh...I'm not worried...did I say I was worried? Who said I was worried?

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Booooorring. They already did that plot in Spiderman 2.

and I still have my money on Zombpocolypse. Its got that, "everyone thought it could happen but no one thought it would" feel.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Wow that article was filled with hyperbole...

It won't be an actual star. It won't have the mass, just like the Cern "Black holes" fusion reactors are very safe, no danger of a melt down.

Best of are all the hybrid reactors, that use the neutrons thrown off by the fusion process to start a fission reaction to power it's ancillary system, as these neutrons are usually lost in to shielding it would massively increase the useful power extracted from the system.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
I think that we should worry more about the fact that a giant asteroid is going to hit sometime soon...or a massive volcano explode soon.
Like Yellowstone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
My favorite time traveling DeLorian had one too I think. Eventually. I remember Doc pouring soda into it and saying it was the new power source.
Ah, yes...good ole Mr. Fusion.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign

Comments like that are pretty solid evidence that most people have no concept of just how big space is.

An asteroid colliding with the earth is about as likely as a thug in New York and a police officer in Detroit firing their guns into the air and their bullets colliding midway.

...obviously not a perfect analogy, since gravity would arrest both bullets before they got outside their respective city limits, but you get the picture.