Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post


Comments like that are pretty solid evidence that most people have no concept of just how big space is.

An asteroid colliding with the earth is about as likely as a thug in New York and a police officer in Detroit firing their guns into the air and their bullets colliding midway.

...obviously not a perfect analogy, since gravity would arrest both bullets before they got outside their respective city limits, but you get the picture.

Well maybe if they had really REALLY big guns
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Well maybe if they had really REALLY big guns
Well sh*t, we may as well give them guided missiles, and the analogy still stands.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
and I feel fine.
That's right, the end of the world will soon be upon us. First CERN, and now this.
I barly read it and they sound like idiots!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Well sh*t, we may as well give them guided missiles, and the analogy still stands.
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
I am a little disturbed that the one object with a Torino number above zero is on the list of objects not seen recently. It's always the ones you don't see that get you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
I am a little disturbed that the one object with a Torino number above zero is on the list of objects not seen recently. It's always the ones you don't see that get you.
What, you think it's going to sneak up on us from behind the sun?

They're space objects.

They're not that smart.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
What, you think it's going to sneak up on us from behind the sun?

They're space objects.

They're not that smart.

I seem to remember either NASA or some agency like that having a telescope on a modified 767 looking just for that scenario. Can't find a link for it yet, but it's similar to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratos...ared_Astronomy
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Comments like that are pretty solid evidence that most people have no concept of just how big space is.
Point of order, we know space is big. How long does it take one ship to get from Earth to Cardassia? Bloody ages.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasherman View Post
Point of order, we know space is big. How long does it take one ship to get from Earth to Cardassia? Bloody ages.
Did the ages fall down and scrape a knee?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-29-2010, 10:15 AM
.....and I feel fine.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42 PM.