Lt. Commander
# 1 Why a ship is called "she"
04-29-2010, 06:06 AM
This is something I learned back in bootcamp from an old salty Senior Chief Petty Officer that was our company commander. Keep in mind, this is sexist, but also keep in mind that most of this comes from the 1800s and before. So, without further wasted time, here are some reasons on why a ship is called "she":

A ship is called a "she" because.....
  • There is always a great deal of bustle around her
  • there is usually a gang of men about
  • She has a waist and stays
  • It takes a lot of paint to keep her good looking
  • She shows her topsides and hides her bottom
  • She can be all decked out
  • It takes an experienced man to handle her correctly
  • And without a man at the helm, she is absolutely un- controllable.
  • And the main reason....It's not the initial expense that breaks you, It's the upkeep!!!
  • When coming into port, always heads for the buoys.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Hahaha, nice.

I'd heard most of those but there were a few I hadn't.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2010, 06:12 AM
I have heard those a few times, but like you from my crusty Chief Company COmmander at teh Orlando Boot Camp, back in 1993. Luckily (For PC sake) we were an all male company. I don't think that Chief would have gotten away with as many comments as he did, if he had a mixed company. Now if only they'd make me a Chief I could be that old salty guy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
I have heard those a few times, but like you from my crusty Chief Company COmmander at teh Orlando Boot Camp, back in 1993. Luckily (For PC sake) we were an all male company. I don't think that Chief would have gotten away with as many comments as he did, if he had a mixed company. Now if only they'd make me a Chief I could be that old salty guy.
Yeah, I went to San Diego back in '91...no female companies there. Our Senior Chief had a favorite line when you looked like you were ready to give up....(whispers it to Winters)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2010, 06:18 AM
/listens to whispers

HAHAHAHAHA! Our Chief said stuff like that too. Gotta love them old salts from the "Old Navy"
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Quote:
/listens to whispers

HAHAHAHAHA! Our Chief said stuff like that too. Gotta love them old salts from the "Old Navy"
Yeah, I hate how PC the military has become. Say, were you in when we had to go through 3 days of sexual harassment sensitivity training as a result of the Tailhook affair? By the end of that, most of us guys were feeling like criminals.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2010, 06:25 AM
I don't remember a 3 day event like that, but I know we have to go through online and classroom training each year that pretty much does the same thing, and when i was mobilized in Kuwait the training was every month.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Railway locos are always female unless named male.

On Pete Waterman's trains program on channel 4 (UK), he asked a loco driver if all locos are female...he said yes..so then PW came back and said "So Earl Bathurst is a she!".

Here's a steam loco version (unknown author):
> even when it's cold outside, she's lovely and warm inside.
> when she whistles, it's always the same cheerful tone.
> she always gets home unless she's seriously injured
> she's always showing off (reference to safety valves lifting when reaching boiler pressure)
> she's always got a lovely shape, even with a tender behind.
> when kept waiting, she'll always make funny noises
> she always groans with something heavy
> there's always someone who's willing to give her a good rub-down
> She's the first thing the shed inspector checks on
> her driver always feels and lost without her.
> the older they are, the queiter they are.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2010, 06:34 AM
I have a really old book on etiquette somewhere that explains why all mechanical things such as engines, ships and the like are called 'she' and why all commercial, inustrial and other business ventures are called 'he'.

If I can find it today, I will quote it here.

I was briefly in the Royal Navy (honourable discharge on medical grounds) and some of the stuff I heard at that time was way opposite what is considered PC these days too! That was around 25 or so years ago though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Quote:
I don't remember a 3 day event like that, but I know we have to go through online and classroom training each year that pretty much does the same thing, and when i was mobilized in Kuwait the training was every month.
Every month? woof. I mean, it had been a problem that needed to be addressed, and in many cases, still is a problem (though not as bad by a long shot). I am interested in seeing how the bubble heads are going to handle women on board subs now. A lot of them will have to do like the rest of us did, learn how to remove a lot of the language we normally were comfortable with using. The Independence (CV-62) was 5000+ men on a floating airport with full airwing and crew, and stuff we discussed and language we used was pretty natural.